For those using a wipes warmer to hold your cloth wipes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-05-2006, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am struggling with bright redness on my baby's precious bum.
After much trial and error, I think I've traced it to the mildewey smell in the wipes warmer that comes a few days after cleaning it.

Specifically, I need to know your routines for keeping the wipes warmer clean.

Also, maybe I'm overloading the thing with clean wet wipes? How many wipes at a time do you load into your warmer?
How often do you clean the warmer?
With what do you clean it?

Anything else I need to know about keeping the wipes and warmer clean?
#2 of 8 Old 11-05-2006, 04:18 PM

Have you tried adding tea tree oil to your wipes solution? I used to add TTO and Grapeseed extract to our wipes to fight yeast and mildew. It worked well (though I eventually realized it was much easier for us to just wet the dry wipes in the sink before each change and not bother with storing wet wipes at all).

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#3 of 8 Old 11-05-2006, 05:44 PM

We do about 5-10 baby washcloths at a time in the warmer. I have that foam pillow thing that came with the warmer and I drop some TTO on it then put in the moist wipes.

As far as cleaning, I unplug it, drain all the water out and rinse it, though you might want to try a tsp of bleach to kill the yuckies, just make sure to rinse super well.

But I only do about 2 days worth at a time so that there is not enough time for things to get seriously funky.

HTH
#4 of 8 Old 11-05-2006, 08:59 PM

A few drops of tea tree oil works great at warding off mildew. We had a lot of issues with mildew growing in our wipes warmer (when it was humid out), so we began to clean it out every day. A midwife in our area knows of a Mom whose baby got a staff infection from mildewy wipes, so it can definitely be a problem.

Now we use dry wipes, get them wet as we need them, and then use a homemade spray solution or Northern Essence's foaming wipes solution, Kissaluvs diaper lotion potion, or Baby Bits. They all work great! Good luck!
#5 of 8 Old 11-06-2006, 01:03 AM

this is good info since i am considering a wipes warmer :
#6 of 8 Old 11-06-2006, 05:34 AM

:
#7 of 8 Old 11-06-2006, 01:08 PM

My experience has been different. We had the wipes warmer with the pillow/sponge thing and my wipes smelled funny. After my husband broke the warmer trying to sanitize it, we bought a new one that has the heating element on the top. At this point, we only add distilled water and there is absolutely no odor or issues with redness. We keep it stuffed with wet wipes all the time. I haven't cleaned the warmer in over a month and we are having no problems.
#8 of 8 Old 11-07-2006, 06:21 AM

Ummm... I haven't cleaned mine yet! Guess I should get on that. Haven't had a problem with mildew yet though. I have only been using cloth in it for about 2 months. Mine are fairly thick so I get maybe 7 in there, but I don't use them for every pee. I fill it full of wipes, then pour water with a touch of calendula oil over them until they are good and soaked.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page