Creating my stash-- advice needed! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-02-2007, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas,

I'm just now switching to cloth-- DS is 8.5 months old. I've ordered my dipes but there is something I'm still not clear on. What's the difference between an insert and a doubler? And how many will I need of each?

My stash includes Haute Pockets, Bamboozle fitted dipes (these are made of bamboo), BumGenius 2.0 and IPF. Not to mention WonderWraps. All together, I have 21 dipes not including my PFs and I plan to wash every other day.

I (naively, I think) assumed that since I'm mostly using pockets and fitteds that seem to come with everything they need that I didn't need to buy doublers/inserts. But having read some more I'm guessing I'm wrong!

Any advice for me? It would be greatly appreciated!! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2007, 09:06 AM

I'm not really sure what the difference is between inserts and doublers- they work pretty much the same to absorb extra pee. I often think of inserts as ones that go into a pocket and doublers ones you place down in a fitted or prefold, but overall they seem pretty much the same to me. The one thing that would be different is liners, which are *not* usually absorbent, but are used to keep a drier area next to the bum by wicking the moisture away (or like flushable liners to make poop removal easier). Though I have a couple liner/doublers that are fleece on one side and microfiber on the other.

You may find that your pockets and fitteds work fine without any extra inserts during the day. You may only need extra protection at night, though it varies from baby to baby. Keep in mind that microfiber should not be put directly against your baby's skin as it will really dry the skin out. Hemp inserts/doublers can hold a lot of liquid but don't pick it up very quickly, so it's best to put them *under* a different insert (such as microfiber) to soak up the extra that didn't stay in the first one.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:27 AM

Inserts are the absorbant part of a pocket dipe. Doublers are often used with fitted diapers to increase absorbancy--although you can use them in pockets too. Doublers are not as absorbant as inserts--doublers are just meant to add extra absorbancy.

The pockets you ordered should come with 1 insert each--you'll only need more if 1 isn't enough (like if you want to use them at night). The bamboozles shouldn't need an extra doubler, though I don't have any, so I couldn't say for sure.

Microfiber towels (look in the automotive section at wal-mart : or any discount store) make good extra inserts--just trifold them.

HTH!

Melissa, loving wife love.gif and mama to 4 girls now! DD 12, DD 10 1/2, DD 4, DD 2 Happily homeschool.gif, doing lots of hang.gif very little sleeping.gifof and as much as I can knit.gifsewmachine.gif reading.gif
Old 02-02-2007, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies! Sounds like I should order a few for nights / long periods out and about.

I think I'll order a few hemp and a few cotton ones. I appreciate the info!

User Tag List