best newborn dipe for counting pees - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-15-2007, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As you can see in my signature DS and I failed at bf'ing...I am trying to be more proactive this time and try/learn everything and anything I can to succeed with the next baby...I know last time when DS was a newborn they gave us a chart to count pees and I am going to be compulsive about checking it off this time around. When DS was a newborn we used disposables and it is hard to really judge how much a baby pees from them. So my question to you is what diaper would work best for this? I am a big pocket diaper fan and would like to use those but if anyone thinks there is a better diaper to gauge how much a newborn is actually peeing I'd love some advice. TIA.
#2 of 12 Old 03-15-2007, 01:10 AM

No idea on the dipes (maybe prefolds?) but just wanted to say you did not FAIL! You are providing the best for your babe and pumping is such hard work! Good for you!

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#3 of 12 Old 03-15-2007, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Awww thanks Allison. You make me feel really good. I hope I can do it this time from the tap!
#4 of 12 Old 03-15-2007, 01:32 AM

I'd suggest prefolds. I can barely tell when ds is damp in his fuzzi bunz, but there's no question in a prefold.

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#5 of 12 Old 03-15-2007, 01:33 AM

Do you have a kitchen scale? You could also just weigh the diapers rather than spending $$ on something you're not going to love.

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#6 of 12 Old 03-15-2007, 01:34 AM

I'd also do prefolds without a cover, assuming it'll be warm enough for the babe to be in a diaper and shirt. Then you will know pretty immediately when wet. And I agree ... you did not fail!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#7 of 12 Old 03-15-2007, 01:53 AM

I would think that pockets are fine for this because you can take the insert out and see just like with a prefold. Something like a fitted or aio probably wouldn't work well though.
#8 of 12 Old 03-15-2007, 09:11 AM

Hi. I think prefolds are a good, and inexpensive, way of determining the number of pees a newborn accomplishes. Plus, you can use your prefold as a pocket stuffer later.

Another option is any fitted diaper, without a cover. You will know shortly after that your baby has peed.

I had the same trouble with my dd in the early weeks. We had trouble establishing nursing.... and she wasn't gaining weight... so I needed to count pees. Yeah right! Not in a disposable. We didn't start cloth until she was 4 months old.

It is very troubling when you are being pressured about how much your baby is getting from you. I almost quit nursing, too. Most of my friends did quit, because of similar stresses placed on them by pediatricians and family members.... It just isn't fair!
#9 of 12 Old 03-15-2007, 09:21 AM

You did not fail.

I also suggest prefolds. They get soaked really easily. The preemie size will leave you with no doubt. The infant size is more absorbant but still will leave you with no doubts

congrats on the new bub!

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
#10 of 12 Old 03-15-2007, 12:29 PM

Flat diaper or prefold.

Single mom of 2 boys
#11 of 12 Old 03-15-2007, 01:54 PM

I was an exclusive pumper with my first. It is such hard work!

I suggest prefolds, we LOVE prefolds!

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#12 of 12 Old 03-15-2007, 06:26 PM

I agree with the failure comments. I nursed my first DS for 2 years, and pumped while I worked fulltime (sometimes as much as 80-100hrs a week, and once 120hr weeks for 6 weeks straight!) for 15m of that, and I can't even fathom EPing. Takes a strong mama to do that!!

Second, you never know, babies are totally different. I don't know why you "failed" at nursing your first baby, I assume he wasn't eating enough by your counting pees statement?

My first was voracious. like a little boobshark, that one. he was 9lbs. Screamed bloody murder at 36hrs old for about 6-7hrs because my milk hadn't come in yet and he was HUNGRY dammit!

My second was 11lbs, and he would sniff and lick my nipple feebly and ignore it and fall asleep. By 3-4 days PP I was in so much pain I couldn't sleep because no positions (even sleeping in the crease of my couch!) allowed relief on my boobs, they hurt because every position they were touching something and having pressure against them!
He dropped probably a pound or so, and has been slower to gain than my older son.
my older son started sleeping through the night at 6wks old after a killer growth spurt where he nursed every other hour, for a hour or so. I nearly fainted when I woke up after like 7hrs of sleep thinking my baby surely had to be DEAD...lol.
Every morning after that for several months i'd nurse him on my lesser producing boob, and pump off around 14oz on the other. I shit you not.
I generally pumped about 16oz several hours later at my first pump session at work.
This time around, I have to WORK to get 10oz on my first pumping...and certainly no 16oz in the morning anymore! (course, he wakes at 3am and nurses until 6 right now. Grr)

so you never know, your next baby might not need any help nursing at all!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page