Oh no! I think my ds has a sensitivity to microfleece! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-20-2007, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've been mostly using a combination of prefolds and bumgenius! since ds was born. He's now 4 months old. A couple weeks ago, I got some swaddlebees side-snapping pockets and I LOVE them. They fit my ds so well, and we don't have any of the leak issues some people complain about. But, I've been noticing that ds' bum is getting redder and redder. It will look a little better in the morning (he wears a BG! AIO to bed), and then after a day of wearing swaddlebees, it's red again. It's not like a diaper rash, really, it's like it's just RED everywhere the diaper has touched. We haven't switched detergent or anything like that. I didn't really think much of it (ds has super sensitive skin, so I'm often kind of puzzled about his various skin reactions) until he spent a couple of days wearing mostly bum-wear AIOs (which are lined with flannel). The reddness totally went away. Back in swaddlebees, back to red bum.

I am so bummed ( ) about this. Not only do I love the fit of the swaddlebees, but I was getting really excited about ordering some JANGO diapers in the co-op. Now I wonder if I should stick to cotton and suedecloth.

For those whose babies do have a fleece sensitivity . . . is this what it looks like? Is it common for a baby to be sensitive to fleece and NOT sensitive to suedecloth? Also, we did use some fuzzi bunz in the first couple of weeks without any probelms. Could a fleece sensitivity be something that shows up when it didn't seem to be there before?

Thanks!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2007, 12:55 PM

You might have an issue with bacteria buildup. Do you have any odor on your SB diapers? Maybe they are more absorbing thus more difficult to clean? Do they smell like ammonia when they are peed on? If that is the case I would throw them in a warm wash with 1/4 -1/2 cup of bleach (mix the bleach in BEFORE adding the dipes) and in the future possibly increase you detergent a bit every once in a while to do a deep cleaning (if you have hard water).

It could also be a new sensitivity to your detergent. Perhaps it is building up more on your fleece than the suedecloth (detergent is famous for doing this on poly fabrics) and now your baby has developed a sensitivity? My ds sometimes takes months to become sensitive to a detergent (Tide, Charlie's and SportsWash).

In this case you could wash the dipes with a few warm/hot washes with Calgon water softener or Borax and then test them. Don't be concerned if you don't see bubbles, the tiny amount of detergent buildup that can occur on fleece or suedecloth will not necessarily show up as bubbles when you wash.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think it's bacteria or build-up. I've had both of those probelms before, and they were both very stinky. These diapers causing the problem now smell great.

I think now that the bum looks good (ds has been in bum-wear AIOs all day), I will try the swaddlebees again and see if his bum gets red again.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:34 PM

If it is a reaction to the fleece, you could try the swaddlebees that are lined with organic velour instead. I feel silly saying this, since you're the diapering moderator, but maybe you need an extra insert? My daughter soaks through the sb really quickly unless it's double stuffed.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Ds is actually a really light wetter, so it's definitely not an absorbency issue (the inserts are usually just damp by the time I change him--seriously this kid hardly pees at all! But he's gaining weight super well, so the ped. says it's fine). I've tried the AIOs, but I don't like them. They fit ds in a really odd, bulky way, and he often leaks out of those even if they're barely wet.

Lex

Old 03-21-2007, 12:20 AM

My microfleece sensitive baby would get a rash wherever the fleece touched him too. It was like little red dots all over. Good luck!

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Old 03-21-2007, 12:59 AM

I made a bunch of microfleece lined fitteds, and also a batch of towelling fitteds with flannelette inners. I cut up some cheap polar fleece to use as liners over the flannelette. After 2 months with no problems, DD started getting red (like you describe) & a bit rashy whenever I used the polar fleece liners, but not the microfleece lined fitteds. I stopped using the polar fleece liners, so now she wears the flannelette lined fitteds without a liner, and also still wears the microfleece lined fitteds. It seems to have fixed the problem, though I do need to use some calendula cream on her bum occasionally, which clears it up any rash right away. I think her bottom was just getting a bit too hot.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:17 AM

Because fleece is more breathable than polyurethane laminated diapers (or plastic covers or disposables), all-fleece dipes are surprisingly fine for summer use. They have the ability to evaporate moisture to the outside when the absorbent section is saturated or when baby perspires.

But when you combine a laminate, which locks in moisture and has limited breathability, with a fleece inner, you're effectively turning the fleece into an insulating layer---and baby's skin could overheat and perspire, causing heat rash (and setting the stage for diaper rash!).

So I'm wondering if your little guy's sensitivity to microfleece is exacerbated by the waterproof shell of the diaper and the extra heat sensitivity of a normal four-month-old's skin.

I hope you find a solution!
Old 03-21-2007, 02:04 PM

interesting...I would think a fleece sensitivity would be bothered by the suedecloth too...hmmm

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
Old 03-25-2007, 02:09 AM

We've got the same problem. I've resigned myself to being a suedecloth or cotton only family. Swaddlebees are SO slim-fitting, but rash central for us.

Good luck!
Old 03-25-2007, 12:38 PM

nak...
sb pockets were the only dipe that caused my ds to get that rash...I don't know if its their microfleece or what...but it is what it is!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
Old 03-25-2007, 01:21 PM

SB has pockets that are topped with OV. They still have the fleece, but it is topped with OV so the fleece does not touch baby's skin

HTH

User Tag List