Breaking in UBCPF... different sizes taking diff # of washes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-23-2007, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I ordered 2 doz each of infant sized UBCPF and regular sized UBCPF. Both are 4/8/4. I've been doing a hot machine soak w/ Dawn (my machine agitates the soak briefly so all is covered in water), then a hot wash w/ a small amt of my regular detergent, then a double rinse, then a machine dry until they are dry enough to test by spilling a spoonful of water on to see if it soaks right in or lingers on the surface long enough to run off and potentially be a leak.

The infant sized diapers took only about 3 of these wash cycles (my water heater is set to around 135 for all this) and they are good to go now. But my larger diapers have gone through 4-5 (I can't remember how many... lol) and still have a good degree of runoff. I even added boiling water to the wash cycle this past time to increase the temp and they're still not ready. I adjusted the machine so that the water level to diaper level ratio was the same as it was for the infant ones. Do I just need to keep washing them a few more times? I would boil them on the stove, but my biggest pot will only let me boil 3-4 at a time. They are getting broken in somewhat, b/c the water doesn't bead entirely up, but there is just too big of a runoff factor for me to want to use them yet.

Thanks,
Andrea

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products! Come check it out!!
Earn free makeup. Join the sisterhood. Build your future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2007, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products! Come check it out!!
Earn free makeup. Join the sisterhood. Build your future.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the larger sizes do take more time to break in because there is just more material with more oil. Generally I break in the larger sizes in smaller batch sizes (just a dozen in the wash at a time), whereas with the infant size prefolds, I can do 18 at a time.

Hope that helps! I think you're almost there!

User Tag List