Restocking Fees? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-20-2007, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was so surprised that Wildflower Diapers has a 10% restocking fee on return items. Do most of the CD stores do this? I've bought from about 7 stores and pretty sure they do not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2007, 11:52 PM

I have not heard of this with diapers, and am glad I saw it here. I would probably opt not to purchase from a place that has such a policy.

If an item is in unused, unwashed condition and I am sending it back at my own expense, I don't think I really see why a 10% restocking fee is necessary. Shopping for cloth dipes is, for me, kind of iffy. I don't know anyone IRL who uses them so that I can check out their stash, and I don't live near any brick-and-mortar retailers. I pretty much have to go by the descriptions and pictures on a web site, and if something isn't what I expected when it arrives, well, the stuff is too expensive (for me) not to want to return it. Of course, in any such case, I'd be sure to purchase whatever I was replacing the returned item(s) with from the same site, as a courtesy.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:21 AM

I have not heard of any other cd stores charging a restocking fee, but I buy mostly WAHm stuff, so I may have missed something that the bigger sites do...
Old 04-21-2007, 01:43 AM

i dont know about cd stores, but alot of online stores have a restock fee, but i dont really agree with it, lol

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
Old 04-21-2007, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisterfrau View Post
, well, the stuff is too expensive (for me)
Yep, for me too...that's why I was a little surprised (to be honest I was a little annoyed: )
now, i don't think i'll order from Wildflower Diapers again because of this.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:14 PM

I've heard of a couple of stores that do have a restocking fee - but I personally don't agree with it, not for an online store
Old 04-21-2007, 09:19 PM

I don't agree with restocking fees for new items, so I don't shop at stores that have them.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:47 PM

I don't shop with people that charge restocking fees. As long as the item is returned in the same condition it was received, I dont' see the point.

I bought a cell phone from an ebay store that arrived to me damaged twice. I had to cover return shipping and when I said I didn't want a second replacement, they wanted to charge a 15% restocking fee. I told them I didn't think that was right considering I'd spent about $30 in shipping back and forth and they said they'd waive the fee. (PP gave me a full refund anyway though.)

Anyway, the point is that maybe you should just ask the lady about the fee and see if she'll waive it.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:22 AM

cottonbabies has a restocking fee- 10%! I didn't find this out until AFTER I ordered- now i want to send the dipes back, but wonder if it's really worth it...since I have to pay return shipping plus the restocking fee. sucks big time!
Old 04-23-2007, 03:09 AM

Wow, I didn't know that. If you just resold it here, you would probably lose more on it than if you just returned it. Sucks, huh?
Old 04-23-2007, 01:45 PM

What exactly is a restocking fee for? I mean, I've heard of it and I get the concept that the customer is charged for a return, but from the store-owner's standpoint, what is it for? Is it because they have to repackage something that was opened? Is it because they had to order more inventory that they no longer need due to the return? Is it just to discourage returns? Just wondering.

Mom to DS March '05 and : DD Feb. '08
Old 04-23-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jest View Post
What exactly is a restocking fee for? I mean, I've heard of it and I get the concept that the customer is charged for a return, but from the store-owner's standpoint, what is it for? Is it because they have to repackage something that was opened? Is it because they had to order more inventory that they no longer need due to the return? Is it just to discourage returns? Just wondering.
It's any or all of those things, depending on the company. Small companies tend to apply restocking fees more often than larger companies. Lots of large companies roll the cost of processing a return into the upfront cost of the item. This is probably not possible for most small diaper sites if they don't manufacture their own diapers and want to stay competitive.

Diaper returns are probably more difficult to process than your average product return. I bet that inspecting returned diapers is a time consuming process. The diapers I've ordered don't come in any kind of sealed package, so the vendor would have to very closely inspect the diapers to determine if they were unused, unwashed, and in saleable condition.

I'm not a fan of restocking fees, but I understand their place in the diaper market.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:11 PM

I won't buy from a place that charges restocking fees.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

User Tag List