Rash Questions - HELP!!! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 14 Old 04-22-2007, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've been CDing for over 5 mos - since DS was 4 mos. He's been fine up til recently. He broke out in a horrible rash that wouldn't go away for weeks, so at one of his well-checks I had them look at it - they suspected yeast. We did the nystatin and I switched to sposies because I was afraid the nystatin would ruin my CDs. The entire rash cleared up in like a day, except for the area between his belly button and genitals. I have NO idea what is causing this. We use planet powdered detergent - I have stripped them twice and sun-bleached EVERYTHING to get out any yeast. Most of the dipes I'm using are BG bamboo fitteds & SB terry fitteds & organic velour fitteds. We give him lots of time w/ no cover at all, and when we do use them, they are the IV bumpys. So...questions:

1. Anyone know if it's safe to use nystatin or any other rash cream w/ the cds? I'm so afraid of ruining them!

2. Anyone have a CLUE what could be causing this? I'm at a total loss what to do!!!

TIA!

SAHM CrossFitting mama to DS (6) and DD (3) and surprise #3 due in September!  winner.jpg familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36*heartbeat.gif*40**

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 04-22-2007, 03:43 PM

I've never had to deal with yeasties so I'm not sure about the nystatin, hopefully someone else can help you with that. We use Burt's Bees diaper cream, it is totally cd safe, there are a couple of others as well, but names escape me right now, maybe someone else will be able to think of them
#3 of 14 Old 04-22-2007, 04:34 PM

So did switching him to sposies OR using the nystatin clear up his yeast?

Maybe it is not yeast but the fact that your ds has developed a sensitivity to your detergent. My ds did that to Charlies' which is not supposed to leave any residue. And it took over a month to start bothering him. I would try another detergent (A&H Essentials is really nice since it is cheap, found at the grocery store, and has no enzymes or dyes; but it does stink!). You could wash your diapers with some Calgon to strip off all of the Planet.

If it is yeast I would suggest using some bleach with your diapers to kill them. It sounds like you are at the point that it is better to risk a tiny bit of bleaching rather than have your ds suffer. I would think 1/2 cup of bleach dissolved in a hot wash (before adding your diapers) should sanitize the diapers. An occasional bleaching will not hurt the elastic or fabrics (but it can slightly lighten natural unbleached cotton).

If you are worried about the yeast cream causing staining, then you can use disposable liners (or just stick some comfy cloth wipes in his diapers). Unless of course he is sensitive to your detergent and they are washed in it!

#4 of 14 Old 04-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Banned

Grapefruit seed extract (GSE) will help most of rashes. 5 drops of GSE per 4 oz of water. Apply with every diaper change.
#5 of 14 Old 04-22-2007, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=amberthesugarcat;7921430]So did switching him to sposies OR using the nystatin clear up his yeast?QUOTE]

I'm certain it was the nystatin, because when the rash went on for a while, we switched to sposies, and tried some rash cream first (before the nystatin). That did nothing. But as soon as we added the nystatin, rash went away (except for that one area). That's the area that won't go away. The fact that the rash stayed w/ the sposies makes me think it's not the detergent?

SAHM CrossFitting mama to DS (6) and DD (3) and surprise #3 due in September!  winner.jpg familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

#6 of 14 Old 04-22-2007, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulia_R View Post
Grapefruit seed extract (GSE) will help most of rashes. 5 drops of GSE per 4 oz of water. Apply with every diaper change.
Wouldn't that sting/irritate a rash? Just curious - I don't really know, but makes sense to me since it can also be used as a disinfectant...

#7 of 14 Old 04-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin' green View Post
Wouldn't that sting/irritate a rash? Just curious - I don't really know, but makes sense to me since it can also be used as a disinfectant...
no it will not. just do NOT put more than 5-6 drops per 4oz of water.
yulia.
#8 of 14 Old 04-22-2007, 05:19 PM

Makes sense it is yeast! Bleach does kill yeast, so if you want something that will 100% clean up your diapers, I would use that. Sunning works great for the outer layers, but UV rays will not penetrate through thick layers of cloth. So you would still have yeasties alive deep down there. And they can really breed!

Hot washes with plenty of detergent and bleach and you should be fine! Sometimes bleach is the best solution (when it concerns your child's comfort).
#9 of 14 Old 04-23-2007, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberthesugarcat View Post
Makes sense it is yeast! Bleach does kill yeast, so if you want something that will 100% clean up your diapers, I would use that. Sunning works great for the outer layers, but UV rays will not penetrate through thick layers of cloth. So you would still have yeasties alive deep down there. And they can really breed!

Hot washes with plenty of detergent and bleach and you should be fine! Sometimes bleach is the best solution (when it concerns your child's comfort).
I don't doubt that there is a yeast issue, but we treated w/ nystatin and used sposies for over 2 weeks and the rash in that one area still did not go away. Ugh...: : :

Bleach on dipes? Yikes....makes me nervous. All my cute colored dipes ruined.....

#10 of 14 Old 04-23-2007, 01:58 PM

I haven't had to battle yeast on dipes yet, but did have to battle it for thrush in early BFing and I wonder if you have nystatin ointment or cream? The ointment is really oily and I wouldn't want to use that with my CDs, but the cream wouldn't be as bad? I wash all my dipes on super hot (my washer has an internal heater that can boost the temp up) so I don't worry too much about the occassional creme use...

I credit GSE (taken internally) for finally ridding myself of yeast for the thrush so I know it works great internally, but it tastes BITTER and TERRIBLE lol so I don't know how you could get it IN your son -- that would be a hard one! The Dr. Jack Newman candida erradication protocol calls for topical use too. Really dilute it down like pp said. I use warm water to help disolve it.

So then I wonder how a detergent like Biokleen that has GSE in it would work? I know you wouldn't want to use it forever but it seems as if it would be safer to use than chlorine bleach to me? I did use a teeny bit of bleach on the used newborn dipes that I bought (kissaluv fitteds) and I was sorry that I did because it took 4 or 5 more washes to get the smell of the bleach out and it really bothered me, so if it were me I'd try just about anything before I resulted to dioxin laden bleach.

Sunning is great, I didn't think about it not getting the yeast out deep inside the diaper.... eeks.

What about a good soak in big pail of a strong mixture of white vinegar? Anyone have any ideas on that?

Also, do you use that same detergent for his clothes? Could he be showing sensitivity to it in that one spot but not others? I know when I have detergent sensitivities (which is common for me) I never know where the rash will turn up. Also are you making sure there are absolutely NO BUBBLES in the rinse cycle? Maybe run them through a load after all this w/o any detergent or ANYTHING in there, just really let get them cleaned out.

I read on another thread that nothing with snaps should be boiled, otherwise I would suggest that. dang it!

I feel like I didn't help at all! sorry

Erin, mom to a 9 month old boy

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#11 of 14 Old 04-23-2007, 04:27 PM

Sherri (hi!)

I was just thinking that I wonder if it would be worth investing in a bottle of GSE to just cut open and disolve into a big tub of hot water and let the dipes soak in it for a day or so? The solution would be so strong I can't imagine yeast could survive it???

Erin

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#12 of 14 Old 04-23-2007, 04:43 PM

Weleda's diaper rash cream is amazing, IME. I've also heard very good things about Earth Mama Angel Baby bottom balm.

The other suggestions sound good, too.
#13 of 14 Old 04-23-2007, 06:13 PM

I just thought of one more thing.... do you have any wool to try? Reading this board as much as I have been lately I see that it isn't that rare for babes to have reactions to PUL (especially where the temp is higher) and the cotton IV bumpys do have a hidden layer of it --- do you have any wool you could try for when you have to use a cover? Or is the IV bumpy you have the wool one? Also, the inner of the bumG bamboo fitteds is microterry.... not sure about reactions to that though???

#14 of 14 Old 04-23-2007, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I am dealing with the same thing with my 2 year old. I was told to wash my cd in HOT water and vinegar, twice. Then rinse in cold, twice. Then dry on the highest setting. However, if you use wool, I don't know. Mine are just Happy Heiny's. We are using Nystatin cream too, and getting her bottom cleared up. I hope to be cding in a week or so!!! BTW I would NOT use bleach it will ruin your dipes. Just set them in sun.

Mama to an amazing crew of 6!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page