Mothering Forum banner

Bumgenius 2.0, Swaddlebees or Fuzzi Bunz??

2K views 33 replies 26 participants last post by  ShadowMoon 
#1 ·
I am trying to decide between BG, SB and FB for my almost two yr old and new baby coming in June. They appear so similar, I'm having a hard time deciding!

I'd love to hear you stories of which you like and why.

I should note, I dont think DS is a particularly heavy wetter, we rarely had leaks out of sposies, prefitteds or prefolds, and homemade AIO's. I also think he will be potty learnign in the next six months, however, I will reuse the diapers for future children.

#4 ·
Definitely swaddlebees over fuzzibunz - at least for my tall/skinny toddler (CDd from 17 months to present). Actually, I love the SB side-snapping pockets. I just CANNOT get a good fit in both waist and legs at the same time with a front-closure diaper, regardless of whether it snaps or aplixes closed.

#5 ·
hard call- i would honestly try a few of both to see what you like. the fit of swaddlebees is awesome, but they have a thin crotch and it is much easier to get leaks with them. fuzzi bunz have a wider crotch but, ime- and everyones is diffrent,do not leak. i think you can avoid leaks with the sbs if you change very often. the problem for us is that the only times i use pockets is overnight or when we are out and about and it won't be as easy to get to a diaper change. i would say the sbs are def not a nighty dipe, though.

i loved the fit of the sbs so much that i now use their awesome fitteds but, sadly, the pockets didn't work for us.

i've heard good things about bgs and that way way your 2 los could share dipes. i haven't used them, though, cuz i'm not an aplix fan. hth!!!

#7 ·
I agree with Alison- SB have a narrower crotch so leaks might be more prevelant with them. I liked them on my DD because she was tiny, but I still prefer FB.

And SB do have snaps, too.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1babysmom View Post
I agree with Alison- SB have a narrower crotch so leaks might be more prevelant with them. I liked them on my DD because she was tiny, but I still prefer FB.

And SB do have snaps, too.

Oh, i didn't know that. Thanks
. I do have a few coming in the mail and I hope we like them.

#9 ·
I prefer Fuzzibunz. Swaddlebees are just too narrow in the crotch for us and while they don't leak pee (as long as I change DD often in them), they won't contain a poop explosion...I have a couple that I use when I know DD just pooped and isn't going to again for a couple of days.

Also, fuzzibunz are great at night (if stuffed enough) and I would never trust swaddlebees for nighttime.

Someone mentioned bumgenius - I prefer these over fuzzibunz and swaddlebees both. Love the fact that I don't have to worry about sizes. But the only downside in comparison to fuzzibunz is that there aren't too many colours to choose from while FB have a ton of different colours.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by snobunny View Post
Someone mentioned bumgenius - I prefer these over fuzzibunz and swaddlebees both. Love the fact that I don't have to worry about sizes. But the only downside in comparison to fuzzibunz is that there aren't too many colours to choose from while FB have a ton of different colours.
I'm surprised they don't come in more colours, given their popularity and all. Maybe someday. I, too, love diapers and am able to stay excited by their prettiness. I know it's not supposed to be about what they look like, but I like looking at pretty things. I never understood people choosing all-white FBs when there are so many options (but if that floats your boat then by all means!).

#11 ·
I'm always reaching for the FB first, and start using my other pockets when all the FB are gone.

But I think you really do need to try a few of each to see which one fits your children the best.

SB, FB and Happy Heinys all work fine for my daughter, but so much of it depends on the build of your child.

#13 ·
Thanks for all the input ladies!

I checked out the BG 2.0 and they seem great, I actually love the colors they offer! I'm not too concerned about the aplix as thats what I'm currently used to. I've been a little skeptical of the one size diapers, but these look pretty good. I guess I'd just have to try one on the babe and toddler to believe it! It does seem to make the most sense, to have something that will last so long, assuming the quality holds up. Are the cotton babies inserts pretty absorbant?

Question about the swaddlebees: is it possible to stuff two inserts even though their so trim?

Any other opinions on the three options?

Thanks again!

#14 ·
I stuff my swaddlebee's w/ an infant prefold, but thats starting to be too small, so Im going to break down and get some more inserts. I have stuffed an sb w/ a prefold and an insert for overnight, and although they probably wouldn't fit in a pair of pants, its still possible to stuff it like that.

#15 ·
I've tried all three of them (well, SB AIO which does have a pocket) and while I"m a pocket fan, I prefer the fit of the SBs on my son because he has chubby legs and the FB was too bulky. I would think for a walking child they would be quite bulky betweent the legs? Maybe not? The SB is nice a trim between the legs (which is why some love it and others don't) and I'm pretty sure that you would want to get the SB inserts that are made for the diapers. The SB AIO that I have does't fit a contoured hemp Joey bunz or a Thirsty's microfibre insert all that great. What I like about my SB is that it uses natural fibres next to the skin, FB and BG didn't work for me because synthetics irritate my son's skin. But if you already know that your babes aren't bothered by it then that isn't a factor! I am rambling
I only had the BG 1.0 which fit GREAT but the aplix tabs weren't very big and didn't last great for me. Perhaps with the 2.0 that has improved. Also with the BG you are only closing it at one point on each side, where the double snaps of the FB and SB make it more adjustable for fit (can fit the legs separate than the waist)

#16 ·
Well I've tried all three too. I should start by saying that we started CDing at 9 months. I wanted to love the swaddlebees, but we couldn't get a good fit! My FAVORITE diaper is the bumGenius 2.0, I also like the bumGenius AIO's but they do take a long time to dry. We use fuzzi bunz at night with two cottonbabies inserts. I don't like the fuzzi bunz quite as much as the bumGenius. They are great dipe though! For a little while the bumGenius 2.0's had a choice of fleece or suede cloth inners. I loved the fleece ones, but I can't find them though now. Maybe by the time your baby is born they'll be back!

#17 ·
I am adding another recommendation: BabyKangas. One-size like BumGenius, but with snaps and microfleece which I prefer over suedecloth.

So here's my order.
1. BK
2. BG
3. FB (because one-size pockets above fits as well so no point of paying for all sizes...)
4. SB (ok for day time, but I don't like for night.)

#18 ·
I love my BG 2.0's. I have not tried any other dipe (except nasty sposies). for overnight, we add a pf to the pocket with the microterry insert, seems to work great for our infant (change in about 6 hours), not sure how it will work for a toddler. I just got my second order in yesterday. Just a warning, the green is a little "flourescenty" if there is such a word. I was slightly disappointed in that color. But the blue and yellow are awesome colors!

#19 ·
I love all three and wouldnt give any of them up --but I use each at specific times only!

FB -naps, or anytime I wont be changing as often.
BG -in the diaper bag so I can throw it on either child or for babysitters. I hate the applix though!
SB -only for times when I need a trim dipe to fit under clothes. DD has poo blow outs all the time in them though.

My fb's definatly get the most wear though, so I guess thats what I reach for first

#20 ·
Love our BG 2.0s. The position of the slit for the insert is what decided us... with the FBs our wigglers would squirm the insert up out of the waistband just the littlest bit and then it would wick onto their clothes... not the nicest middle of the night surprise.
The slit on the BG is about an inch further down the diaper, with a flap, so the insert can't wiggle up like that. Definitely makes them my fave for night, but they're trim enough for day, too.

As for fit, they work well on both my two-month-old and my two-year-old... but, my bigger girl definitely needs extra inserts, but she is a heavy wetter.

HTH, Katherine

#22 ·
Hi Angela,

I love pocket diapers. I used small FB exclusively until my DD outgrew the rise (at 3.5 months old) while still on the smallest snap settings. (98th percentile for height) I tried petite and medium FB, but the leg openings were huge on her. The owner of my favorite online diaper store recommended Mommy's Touch one size diapers and I love them. They fit my baby perfectly and I've been using them for 6 months now. They come in every color you could possibly want and have some really cute prints. (I prefer the fit of the colors over the prints for some reason) I use them exclusively. I double stuff them at night and have never had any leaks. They have a LOT of snaps, but are easy to use once you find the right combination. Good luck searching for the perfect diaper for your baby.

Sandra

#23 ·
Just got my order from Abbys Lane which by the way had amazingly FAST turn around time!!

From the outlook, It looks like BunGenius wil be my favorite. The Fuzzi Bunz are looking ok, but I felt I could get a better fit with the BG, We'll see if that holds true after washing (I just tried them on, am now washing them!!). I didnt even try the swaddlebees, it did not come with an insert, as I assumed it would. I may try it with the fuzzi bunz insert (silly how I didnt think of that til just now......) but it really looks too narrow based on what I have previously been making and using. It looks sooooo small! But I maytry it after all, however, I'm thinking it would be smart to return it.

My only question about the BG is this,...is the folded over and snapped diaper and insert bulky on a new baby? Feels a little bulky as is, and since I dont have a baby to try it on yet
any comments on this?

#24 ·
I love the BG2s...I have a ton of other dipes in the stash but find myself doing more frequent laundry just to have the BGs available for use...

They are so trim fitting and yet very absorbant...my son is VERY skinny and they fit him very well...they even held in his super messy poop (caused by a snack of way too many dried cranberries)

We also have the haute pockets (i got the seconds on sale) and they are good too although I prefer the aplix closing b/c it's better on my skinny little guy.

#25 ·
As much as I like the idea and look of the BG 2.0, I did not like the sizing (snapping down). I never could get the insert comfortably stuffed, I also don't like microfiber so I was stuffing with a prefold and it was really awkward. That said I did think they were great unsnapped (on the biggest setting) and double stuffed at bedtime. FB I only tried once. I found them to fit very odd and the snaps kept turning in and leaving marks in ds skin.
SO, I am a diehard Swaddlebeeds Fan! I LOVE THEM. So trim, great hemp inserts (though they are also good stuffed with prefolds), side snapping, great colors, I have mostly pockets, but I am waiting for some AIOs to come in the mail. I also have one of the hemp fitted pockets w/the velour inner, it is so yummy and surprisingly trim! I can also recommend the SB fleece cover for night time. Okay, you got a lot of advice and really you will figure it out with time. I am glad to bought them all...that is what I did and I immediately sold my FB and I sold the BG after about a dozen uses, they hold their value if you take good care of them, so go ahead and experiment!

#26 ·
I hated SBs - always has a ring of pee on the onsie from them leaking. I really like FBs and BG2.0 - If I had to pick one I'd go with the BG2.0, because there was about a month where my DS was too big for his small FBs, but the meds were too big. That's actually when I tried my first BG2.0 and got hooked. My only complaint about the BG2 is that their color choices suck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.