Build up ineveitable on fleece? Or Help me with my build up problem! Leaks! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 04-25-2007, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my wash routine:

Cold Rinse with baking soda
Hot wash with vinegar, one drop of TTO, tiny tiny amount of Charlies and then a cold rinse with nothing
another cold rinse
dry

I wash all my diapers and inserts together. I use terrycloth inserts. Diapers I use: AIO2 Jamtot BerryPlush (never any build up or repelling), Snap-Ez with suedecloth inner (never any build up or repelling), GAD with suedecloth inner (never any build up or repelling), Fitteds OV, Cotten, Velour, Terry and Sherpa (never any build up or repelling), FB (this is where my build up problem happens), HH PUL (this is also where my build up problem happens).

Lately, build up has been happening about once a week, the diapers it is happening on are about 5 months old, my water rinses clean -- no suds! The diapers may be on for only 5 minutes and then there is pee dripping down my daughter's leg.

Does fleece inevitably just get a build up that I need to strip? Even with my minimal usage of soap and my no suds in the rinse cycle? Thank you for your input I am at a loss!
#2 of 15 Old 04-25-2007, 04:26 PM

nak

wish i knew the answer. i was having quite a few wicking problems a while back, mostly w/ bgs, which are microsuede. i did the dawn thing on every cd and insert, w/ 3 rinses each time. it took all day, but seemed to work. i think i'm going to do a dawn wash once a week just to be on the safe side.
#3 of 15 Old 04-25-2007, 04:33 PM

I've been cding for almost 4 yrs now and I have never had any of my fleece repel. I do a cold soak/wash with detergent (usually Purex or Costco's brand) hot wash no detergent, cold rinse then they either go in the dryer or outside depending on my mood. I have used tto on occasion, but not every wash, but I don't think one drop would cause problems. I wish I could help you figure out what was causing your problems
#4 of 15 Old 04-25-2007, 04:35 PM

Do you know if you have hard water? I've read that baking soda and vinegar can cause problems in hard water. Perhaps try leaving one or both of them out and see what happens?
#5 of 15 Old 04-25-2007, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Alot of good ideas, I think we have hard water. I will try leaving off both baking soda and vinegar just to start. And I will also switch my detergent to the first cycle rather than the second. And I will stop using TTO every single wash. The thing that stumps me is that there are no suds in the rinse cycle.

If these several things work, than I will probably work vinegar back into the mix -- I like the cleaning properties it has.

Ugh -- so frustrating!
#6 of 15 Old 04-25-2007, 05:02 PM

If you have very hard water, you may want to do a load with some calgon. If there are still no suds after that, it may be that the teeny bit of Charlies isn't quite enough. There may be some sort of oily residue (TTO, or if you used diaper creams) on the fleece that isn't being washed off. Try a load with extra detergent, then lots of rinses and see if that helps.

I haven't had a problem with repelling fleece, but have had some leaks in PUL pockets that resolved after throwing them in the dryer on hot to reseal the PUL.
#7 of 15 Old 04-25-2007, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiefu View Post
If you have very hard water, you may want to do a load with some calgon. If there are still no suds after that, it may be that the teeny bit of Charlies isn't quite enough. There may be some sort of oily residue (TTO, or if you used diaper creams) on the fleece that isn't being washed off. Try a load with extra detergent, then lots of rinses and see if that helps.

I haven't had a problem with repelling fleece, but have had some leaks in PUL pockets that resolved after throwing them in the dryer on hot to reseal the PUL.

Wow -- I hadn't thought about that!
#8 of 15 Old 04-25-2007, 11:16 PM

Wow, I always thought that drying them would DE-waterproof the PUL. How does the resealing thing work? I always hang my pockets/PUL diapers dry, and some do actually leak through the PUL (a couple of older BGs.)
#9 of 15 Old 04-26-2007, 12:32 AM

I've never had repelling with my fbs, but I've had stink. I saw that you are in Chicago (me too) and my hard water alarm went off. I still have to strip sometimes, even with Charlies, and I also do an extra rinse most washes.
I personally stay away from vinegar and baking soda b/c I've read on various diapering sites that they can create a problem with hard water- you have to really get the ph balance right. Since you're having problems, I'd personally strip and then just eliminate them and see if that helps. I love them otherwise, but am afraid to mess with simplicity with my laundry.
#10 of 15 Old 04-26-2007, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds View Post
Wow, I always thought that drying them would DE-waterproof the PUL. How does the resealing thing work? I always hang my pockets/PUL diapers dry, and some do actually leak through the PUL (a couple of older BGs.)
PUL is pretty heavy-duty, it was developed for hospital use I believe. It is actually recommended to dry on hot when you first get something with PUL to seal (sorta melt together) the stitching holes and prevent leaks. I usually hang dry to prolong the live of PUL after the first wash, but hot drying once in a while is fine. My BGs were the first to start leaking after a couple of months, too, but got way better after a hot dry.
#11 of 15 Old 04-26-2007, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input! I did as most of you recommended -- got rid of BS and vinegar. I love vinegar! Anyway, I used alot of Charlies in an initial wash. I remember that my dd had a diaper rash a little while ago, so as a pp suggested, perhaps some of that lotion didn't wash out -- or perhaps it was from the TTO. Then I got nervous after I added all the Charlies because I realized it is a coconut oil based soap so I added the Costco brand soap too. Then I washed and washed and washed -- 5 cycles of wash and rinse. Then another rinse and then dryed. I am going home from work soon and I will then strip the dipes that were used today (they weren't included in this cycle) -- so hopefully with your great suggestions my dipes will be okay now. I am going to chuck the vinegar, BS, and TTO.

I am also now wondering about Charlies and wondering if I should just stick to Sportswash (I tend to alternate back and forth). Maybe I will continue to alternate as I used (and had stopped doing these past few months). I will let you all know how it goes!
#12 of 15 Old 04-26-2007, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiefu View Post

You know your comment about the diaper cream really helped -- thank you.

I already do dry on hot every now and then, other times on low -- so I am confident my pul is properly sealed!
#13 of 15 Old 04-27-2007, 11:12 AM

I didnt read all of the posts, so I hope I'm not repeating anything another mama already said...I would wash my fleece in a load of regular laundry, on HOT and then use fabric softner in the rinse...Yes, I said fabric softner! It will help make it more waterproof! That is why you want to wash it with regular clothes instead of with your dipes.
#14 of 15 Old 04-27-2007, 11:16 AM

Are you talking about fleece covers? I know I read recently that you can use that on repelling fleece covers. Most pocket manufacturers recommend not touching the stuff though.
#15 of 15 Old 05-01-2007, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Good news ladies! I think the problem has been fixed! I washed with lots of soap, and numerous wash/rinse cycles to strip. I have eliminated (for now) baking soda and vinegar and I am back to using only Sportswash (no Charlies). I am also using more Sportswash than I had previously been using (the full cap). My new system:
  • Cold Wash with Sportswash and rinse
  • Hot wash and cold rinse
  • Cold Rinse
  • Dry

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page