cloth diapers & diaper rash... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-19-2007, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi,

So, ds is almost 5months and we cloth diaper him using prefolds and vinyl over pants/covers...whatever they r called...I was them really good in the sink with hot water and soap and air dry them. We also change him frequently.

Ive noticed a bit of a rash coming on...currently its just a wee bit between his cheeks n a wee itsy bit in another place. Ive been putting that Aveeno diaper rash ointment on his every change...

What more can I do? It hasnt gotten bad and I dont want it to get bad we already let him lay on a cloth covered piece of plastic to "air out" everyday...esp now that its getting hotter. Any suggestions?

Umm Ibrahim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-19-2007, 02:56 PM

You can try a wool cover, they offer a lot more breathability (is that a word??). My DS had a bad diaper with pockets, and so we moved away from anything with a PUL cover
#3 of 8 Old 05-19-2007, 03:27 PM

Do you rinse them in vinegar? I wash mine in the machine and put about 1/2 cup in the rinse cycle. I'm not sure how much to use if you're washing them by hand in the sink, though. The vinegar is supposed to help neutralize pee enzymes and keep rash away. I noticed an improvement when we started always using the vinegar rinse.

If the rash is only in the crevices it could be yeast, which you use different methods to deal with.

Also, I don't know how old your son is, but we started changing ours every 1.5 hr or so as he became a heavier wetter. And what do you do at night, do you keep him in it all night or do you change him whenever he wakes? We don't change him at night, but at night only we use one of the fleece pocket diapers which keeps the moisture away from the skin better. IMHO they are too expensive to use during the day.
#4 of 8 Old 05-19-2007, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Hey.

I heard vinegar is really good, so we're going to start trying that. I was thinking about wool covers but wont urine still come through? We are Muslim and so have to keep things really clean from body fluids hence i fret about using a wool cover....becos if he pees alot at night and it comes through i'll be stuck changing the bedding every day-which i am not really trying to be doin...y'know...

We normally change him every 3 hrs during the day but not at night. Im just too "out" of it at 3am to consider changing the lil' guy.

Right now we have really like *no* money...unlike during the fall or spring semesters so unforunatly we cant afford to invest in anything else than what we already have so if there any free or super low cost ideas for something which might be better?

I think when im at home with the baby and have him on the floor playing i'll just keep his diaper and pants off him and just let him play on the cloth covered piece of plastic so he airs out better.

About the yeast...I honestly dont know either way what it might be. hmmm... If it's not gone by x number of days...i should take him to the pedi and see if it is? How long should I wait?

Umm Ibrahim
#5 of 8 Old 05-19-2007, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to Diapering

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#6 of 8 Old 05-19-2007, 06:03 PM

Urine won't come through the wool. Wool absorbs a lot, so it will absorb into the cover, but wool also has antimicrobial (I think that's the word) properties, so you don't have to wash the cover everytime you use it (unless it has poopy on it). If you have minimal sewing skills, you can make some wool covers from old wool sweaters if you have any lying around. Just make sure if you felt them (to do this you wash the wool with hot water) that you don't felt them too much or they won't stretch good. I've heard, though, that if the wool is thick enough you don't need to felt. Here are some links to make wool covers out of sweaters if you are interested:
http://www.borntolove.com/frugal-column2.html
and to make wool longies for cooler weather:
http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...?topic=71285.0.
Hope that helps!
#7 of 8 Old 05-19-2007, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Hey

Oh awesome...wool wont leak and is antimicrobial!!...I had no idea!!!
Unfortunatly...we dont have wool sweaters tp spare...my husband has 1 real wool sweater which is old and felted up a storm but he loves it to death and like thats it.

Anu suggestions for a good quality yet inexpensive wool cover then? Would ebay have good ones or should I look elsewhere...Would 1 be enough (i'm thinking then for using at night or as a break from the vinyl.)

Oh wait...as I read the website, I might just run by goodwill and see what I can rustle up...but other than that...any good already made kind that I can take a look at...becos I know not all cloth diapering paraphenalia is created equal and i dont even want to mess with anything that wont last or be a waste of money.

Umm Ibrahim
#8 of 8 Old 05-24-2007, 05:21 PM

Have your son sleep on prefolds (like on top of the sheets)! It's the greatest for soaking up leaks of any kind -- urine, feces, breastmilk, drool! That way unless there's a huge spill, you just change the underlayer of diapers. This saved me so much hassle. Alternately you could use blankets or whatever but prefolds are so absorbant.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page