The smell. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-30-2007, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by octobermom View Post
I'll differ in my experience Poo smell especially right after washing means too little detergent (amonia smell too much) I''d actuall try washing with a bit more detergent then rinseing well.
: That's ceratinly been my experience as well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2007, 05:38 PM

Amy, I've done the dishwasher thing, too. Actually, it's the only way I've stripped my dipes. I don't think you did anything wrong, as long as they were clean dipes to begin with! And my dipes need stripping right now (smell like pee), so off I go!
Old 06-09-2007, 11:46 PM

Oh, I am dealing with this insanity as well.

I never had a problem in our top loader using 7th generation free and clear powder. NO PROBLEMS for a year.

We moved, and now I have a fancy front loader, adn I was using All free and clear. Just a tiny bit. Sure I read somewhere to use that. (We use fuzzi bunz).

NOW I find out that was not a good detergent to use. We have HORRIBLE problems with both stink and leaking. SO I tried stripping them- I must have washed them seven times in a row on super hot using the "water plus" feature. Never saw any suds.

Still have the problem.

I am going to maybe try RLR which I have some of. I refuse to use Allen's Naturally detergent since it has a harmful chemical in it. (well, all detergents are "chemicals", but Allens' has one that is particularly bad. I'm surprised so many people use it thinking it's safer than other brands.) I'd love to keep using my 7th generation, but am not sure what to do at this point. I'm trying to do more research on this but keep coming up with conflicting reports on what to do other than wash in plain hot water to strip.

I might try some vinegar, and if that doesn't work, I shall try a bit of bleach (but I'd rather not use that). I've run them on the *sanitary* cycle of the washer and still have the problem, so I'm pretty confident that it is NOT bacteria, but is buildup/residue. And bleach will not help with that, but maybe vinegar will. I'm scared of using Dawn in the front loader. Any ideas?

Maybe I should try the crazy dishwasher idea. I've never heard of that until this thread! I"ll keep reading this and looking around for suggestions.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoo View Post
I would not use rlr, it makes a TON of suds, like seriously took me 10+ washes to get it all out. Calgon and vinegar are both good choices for hard water.
Where do you find Calgon? I must be slow, because I've looked in different stores with detergents, and I can't find it.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:19 AM

I found it at walmart in the laundry section.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
Old 06-10-2007, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Just an update -- I am STILL having this problem! I am washing a few times, and rinsing a bunch of times. I ordered some Allen's detergent, so hopefully when that gets here it will fix things. It's getting tiresome though, I have to say!!!
Old 06-11-2007, 11:05 PM

OK, I'm desperate now. Vinegar did not help.

How do you strip dipes in the dishwasher? I might post a new topic about this if noone sees this who has done it... I mean, do you just set them up in the tines with all of the liners and.. run it? Plain water? Sounds weird, but I think my dipes really, really miss the top loader and all of the water.. I think washing them in the front loader is very challenging... and I guess the dishwasher woudl give them lots of water! -j
Old 06-12-2007, 05:00 AM

I am not a pro by ANY stretch, as I've stripped in the dishwasher once. BUT, what I gathered here on MDC (and what I did) was: just put them in the dishwasher like you described and run it. If your dipes have plastic snaps, only put them on the top rack. Check them occasionally to see if there are suds in the dishwasher. Mine ran all day long, and I still had suds, but I think that was because it was the first tiime I stripped, and I had been CDing for a year!
Old 06-12-2007, 12:25 PM

Thanks so much for the info!

I think I"ll try this. It's frustrating, since I don't see any suds when using the front loader to try and strip them.. wouldn't I see suds if there was buildup? Anyway, I don't think the dishwasher can hurt. I'll make sure, also, that the heat is NOT turned on (so the dishwasher element doens't turn on- I can see that distroying diapers if it does), since our hot water is plenty hot.

If this doesn't work, I think I"ll try RLR or the calgon or something like that. Perhaps also here the water is much harder than it was where we used to live.

I'll post back with results! The smell, my gosh, it is soo bad. I thought maybe it was her pee and that she was ill, but when she pees in the potty.. no smell, at all! -j
Old 06-12-2007, 12:38 PM

I'm pretty sure you should leave the heat on. When I saw the dishwasher recommended, people were saying that it was because the water gets so much hotter in the dishwasher than in the washing machine. If it was just the amount of water, I'd think that washing less dipes per load would take care of it. PLEASE someone correct me if I'm wrong (I'd hate for any dipes to be ruined, too!). Also, we have snaps on our dipes, and they were fine on the top rack (with super hot water).
Old 06-12-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtocloth! View Post
I am using gerber prefolds and they have stink so badly. i cant figure it out either.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that these have a polyester layer sandwiched between the cotton layers. That could be causing the stink.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:40 PM

I had a kissaluvs that stank, and I just had some bleach and water in a spray bottle that I sprayed on the inside and washed, and sunned it and it worked like a charm.

User Tag List