Has anyone boiled their diapers w/snaps - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-22-2003, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and not had broken snaps?

I am SOOOOOO sick of stinky hemp!! I have 2 Liz's Cloth and one SOS that smell like a hamsters cage and I can't stand it anymore. I want to take my chances w/boiling them but am really afraid of losing snaps. Has anyone had any luck w/doing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2003, 04:21 AM

bump - id like to know too....yucky stinky hemp!
Old 07-03-2003, 04:30 AM

if they are plastic snaps... i wouldnt do it.. if they are the higher quality resin snaps.. then id probably chance it, LOL!
Old 07-03-2003, 06:49 AM

Well, you can always chance it and then have someone replace the snaps for you if they do fall off. Are the colors odd or hard to match do you think? (Let me preface my next comment by saying that this is NOT intended to be SPAM at all!) I offer a snap service and I know there are others out there that do the same thing... There are lists at both Make-It-Snappy and OSDS listed by state so that you can find the person closest to you. All you do is send them your diapers and they put the snaps on for you and then send them back. Granted you have to pay shipping both ways and a bit for the snaps and their time, but it might be worth it if it will save your diapers, YK?
Old 07-03-2003, 12:11 PM

I wouldn't recomend the boiling. Turn up the hot water and wash to strip them. I know a lot of WAHMs warn against the boiling, as it does weaken them and cause them to snap off (even the resin are at risk of that). Just my .02.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:56 AM

BOIL just not for a long time (I do around 5 minutes.) Never had a snap fall off and I boil everything hemp.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:16 PM

Calgon water softener got the stink out of my hemp. Search on this board for a bunch of posts about it - you can get it at Wal-Mart for about $5 in the laundry aisle. The stink was due to detergent build-up and Calgon removes detergent build-up.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:52 PM

I have boiled Sugar Peas, SOS, Cuddlebuns, Righteous Baby, Manyducks, and Fireflies and never had one single snap problem whatsoever! I think it's an "urban legend" of the diapering world. I had tried stripping and Calgon and everything, but sometimes diapers reach point where what they really need is some good old fashioned bacteria killing. Boil Away!!!!!!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
Old 07-14-2003, 02:02 PM

Liz had a customer whose snaps fell off and complained...but I suspect she boiled for hours...waaaaaaay overkill.

See, I'm gone, I come back, same issues. I should just make a sig that says boiling good, germs are your friend, purple is a gender neutral color. I would cut way down on posting.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:43 PM

Try RLR (hanging in the laundry aisle in Wal-mart). Works great.

User Tag List