Fitteds vs. Prefolds, which do you like better and why? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 05-31-2007, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really see the easiness of fitteds with the velcro as far as getting a snug fit, but at the moment all I have are PF and a few pockets/aios. Which do you prefer, fitteds or pf's? I am thinking of maybe converting half of my pfs into fitteds because they would fit better under a cover/clothes for outings. Currently I just fold them, w/o pins/snappie, etc. What do you all like better?

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#2 of 22 Old 05-31-2007, 08:21 PM

I actually find that my prefolds are more trim (when I pin them, that is, don't own a snappi) than fitteds. But it also depends on which cover you use over them (pul, fleece, wool, etc...). Now if you're opposed to pinning, I guess a fitted would be more trim than a trifolded prefold . . . I'm not really sure though. Sorry, not much help . . .
#3 of 22 Old 05-31-2007, 09:30 PM

I love love love prefolds and use them most of the time. Converted prefolds are trimmer than regular fitteds IMO, I do have a bunch of them and love to use them. They are easier for outtings than trying to do a prefold on the back seat of the car or while squished into a little bathroom stall where they inconveniently put the stupid changing station, etc.
#4 of 22 Old 05-31-2007, 11:21 PM

It depends on the situation.

Like PP said, PFs are trimmer than fitted, and I like them if I'm going for a trim fit under clothing. However, for bedtime and just running around in a diaper (w/o a cover) I prefer fitteds.
#5 of 22 Old 05-31-2007, 11:37 PM

Right now I only use prefolds for nighttime, so I can't really compare them for their fit under clothes. I do love my fitteds during the day, but in general I only use them around the house either uncovered or covered underneath knit shorts. For going out I use my pockets or AIOs for trimness. My ds did, however, wear his BG bamboo fitted with BSWW cover out today with not much noticeable difference. I think the trimness depends on the fitted - the BG works great under clothes but my Thirsties cotton are WAY to bulky.
#6 of 22 Old 05-31-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Little Monkeys View Post
They are easier for outtings than trying to do a prefold on the back seat of the car or while squished into a little bathroom stall where they inconveniently put the stupid changing station, etc.
:

This is mainly why I think it's good to have a few fitteds around. Fitting differently isn't so much different, in my experience. Plus, its much easier with a super-squirmy babe to get a fitted on well . . it does a lot for a mum's sanity sometimes.

On the other hand, long live the prefold!
#7 of 22 Old 06-01-2007, 12:45 AM

Up until my daughter was in premiums, I used prefolds almost exclusively. But now that she's bigger and impossible to keep still, I've converted 90% of my prefolds into fitteds, about half with snaps and half without (for Snappi-ing). I have a bunch of lay-in soakers to amp up the absorbency for night. When she was in infant PFs I'd just double them up, but that's harder to do with fitteds.
#8 of 22 Old 06-01-2007, 02:27 AM

I'm a huge prefold fan, but I'm liking fitteds for my 2yo right now. I use almost all prefolds on my 4mo though, since she still gets changed so often. I enjoy the simplicity of prefolds especially when it comes to laundry.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#9 of 22 Old 06-01-2007, 11:57 AM

Prefolds, hands down. I keep coming back to them. I also have experienced fit issues between my kids ... diapers that fit my second son well (fitteds and aio's/pockets), do not fit my youngest at all. He wears things that would not have fit my second son well (first was in sposies). I have bought and experiemented with many fitteds over the course of two kiddo's in cds; I would much rather have put that money into prefolds/wool, and/or something else.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#10 of 22 Old 06-01-2007, 12:50 PM

I prefer prefolds, although fitteds are way cuter, and good for going coverless once your kid figures out snappis!
#11 of 22 Old 06-01-2007, 02:03 PM

I really liked pfs when we started cloth with ds at 21mths. But now four months later I'm converting my stash to all fitteds and I'm making some contours. It is next to impossible to get him to sit still enough to put a pf on, and its not worth the frustration and high stress! That being said I am keeping a few as backups, but I'm going to sell the rest.
#12 of 22 Old 06-01-2007, 02:57 PM

I have a big ole basket of fitteds that I never seem to reach for. There are over 30 fitteds in there.

I use prefolds all the time though.

So if I had to buy my stash again, I wouldn't spend all that money on fitteds and would just go with the pfs.

They are a lot cheaper and I don't find a lot of difference in practicality.

I use pockets under trim clothes and when going out.

#13 of 22 Old 06-01-2007, 03:16 PM

Over all fitted honestly. I don't like how prefolds can bunch up. Prefolds will fit more body types and is more ecconmical overall though.

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#14 of 22 Old 06-01-2007, 03:22 PM

Prefolds!

Lately I'm going back to standards (4x6x4) because they're so trim. Oddly ds who is a real whirlwind at 22 months will stay still for me to snappi one on or even pin. and sticks his legs up so I can pull up the cover (we do pull-on nylon covers like Dappi or Bummis whisper pants b/c they are incredibly trim under clothes...they collapse down to nothing when on, are cheap and easy, and cool). I tried wool but it didn't work for us well.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#15 of 22 Old 06-01-2007, 03:28 PM

Prefolds. I can't stand fitteds. I bought a few Kissaluvs size 0s for my dd when she was an infant, and hardly ever used them. They just seemed bulky and too much. Prefolds are way trimmer and really no more difficult to use, IMHO.

I do tend to use AIOs for outings etc. First of all they are cuter (better for impressing non-CDing friends/family ) and second they are a little easier to deal with in changing table type situations at the mall or wherever.
#16 of 22 Old 06-01-2007, 03:28 PM

Prefolds, because they are easier to care for.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#17 of 22 Old 06-02-2007, 12:02 AM

I have prefolds, fitteds and AIOs. I agree that prefolds aren't convenient in the back of a car. I prefer AIOs for outings or fussy baby times. I don't like how fitteds stick out the side of the cover in the legs, and how they are more bulky.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#18 of 22 Old 06-02-2007, 01:20 AM

prefolds for yong babies when your changing alot. fitted when there older and moving more, when less is needed.
#19 of 22 Old 06-02-2007, 04:16 AM

I have one prefitted and I love it.. I dont like fitteds otherwise.. Im in love with my prefolds
#20 of 22 Old 06-03-2007, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My experience with fitteds and prefolds seems to be way different than many of the pps. My baby needs a doubler with fitteds or prefolds and I've never noticed the fitteds to be more bulky. My fitteds fit great under a diaper cover while the prefolds almost always stick out the sides of the covers. My 4 mo is already so wiggly that it makes putting on a prefold diffcult. Also fitteds are better at preventing poop blowouts, imo. Plus when she's wearing fitteds aunts and grandmas are happy to help change a diaper, but prefolds scare them away. Also I have an easier time using pull-on covers with fitteds. Right now i'm switching over from mostly prefolds to mostly fitteds.

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
#21 of 22 Old 06-03-2007, 01:23 PM

I prefer KL0's at first and then prefolds all the way. Fitteds are so bulky.

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
#22 of 22 Old 06-03-2007, 05:53 PM

Im a prefold lover here We started using them with Nikky covers with our first and loved that system for a long time. I am primarily using them with wool now and Love them even more. They are just so incredibly easy to wash, fit both of the kids and I dont have to worry about skinny legs, or chubby thighs etc. They always fit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page