Can you use lanolin as a diaper cream with cloth diapers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-03-2007, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I mean is it safe to use pure lanolin as a diaper cream on cloth diapers? Or will it cause a gunk buildup on the dipes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 06-03-2007, 04:52 PM

I'm wondering the same thing. I have a new tube of Lansinoh that I haven't needed for breastfeeding. We're starting cloth diapers next week as soon as they arrive. We're doing prefolds, so I thought I might try a thin layer of that at night.
#3 of 10 Old 06-03-2007, 05:00 PM

:
I'd really like to know too, because I got a sample of Lansinoh "Clean and Condition" baby wipes which have lanolin in them, but I'm not sure if it will cause water repelling problems on my fleece pocket dipes!
#4 of 10 Old 06-03-2007, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'm going to try it with a silk liner. The worse thing that could happen is it messes up my liner but not my diaper.
#5 of 10 Old 06-03-2007, 05:41 PM

We use it at night all the time and it makes an incredible water barrier, but you MUST use a liner!!! I use fleece microfleece, and after awhile I do start to get a bit of a build up on them. The lan usually can be stripped out with dawn and hot water though.
#6 of 10 Old 06-03-2007, 10:03 PM

I agree, you could use lanolin with a liner but I wouldn't use it directly on a diaper. Lanolin is an oil and could make your diapers repell.

* Llamajama in stock woolens *
hand knit wool longies, wool soakers, wool sweaters and more!
#7 of 10 Old 06-04-2007, 11:07 AM

Good to know. I'm going to be using prefolds and didn't order any liners because I'm hoping to stay away from fleece. Will those rice paper liners be okay? Is there anywhere to buy them besides online?
#8 of 10 Old 06-07-2007, 03:08 PM

I love lanolin as a diaper rash solution. I haven't notice repelling issues but it does stain and the stain won't sun out! So definitely use a liner; any liner should work. You can even cut up an old cotton T shirt or other fabrics around the house if you don't care for fleece.
#9 of 10 Old 06-09-2007, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
I love lanolin as a diaper rash solution. I haven't notice repelling issues but it does stain and the stain won't sun out! So definitely use a liner; any liner should work. You can even cut up an old cotton T shirt or other fabrics around the house if you don't care for fleece.
Why did I never think of cutting up a tshirt: I could have saved myself some time and money buying and cutting up fleece lol. Thanks for the tip.
#10 of 10 Old 06-09-2007, 11:43 PM

I've never had a staining problem with Lanolin, but I definately had repelling problems! I was using it pretty regularly w/o a liner with my dds pockets and they had so much buildup that I couldn't strip them with Dawn, hot water, RLR - nothing was working (this is after I traced the problem back to the lanolin - too late, I might add!). So then I tried stripping the clean dipes in the dishwasher sans soap. Worked, luckily. But man, was I sweating it for awhile, there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page