BumGenius Problem - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2007, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ever since I got my BumGenius diapers (1.0 & 2.0) about 10 months ago I have done nothing but rave about them. I love these diapers and have never ever had a problem with them... That is until about 3 weeks ago. My tabs started separating and they would no longer stick to the diaper. I would look at my son and his diaper would be in his pant leg.

I emailed baby cotton bottoms and they sent me replacement tabs. I guess that's good if you sew but I do not. I had to send my diapers to my mother who lives 3 1/2 hours away and let her repair them for me. We had to use disposables for over a week.

I don't know, I guess I was irked that I not only had to have my 1.0's repaired but also my 2.0's which weren't as old.

Just wanted to send out a warning that this may happen to you and I hope you are a better seamstress than myself.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2007, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The same thing is happening to me. I need to get the repair tabs too. Luckily I just got a sewing machine but I know that the new tabs are going to look like crap when I get them on, because I am a newby sewer. I don't think I like BGs anymore. (Even though they are the only diaper that work overnight for us.) I think I might try Haute Pockets.

Hanna :, Wife to Chris. Mama to : Gracie (6/05), : Annie (1/07) and : Cole 7/25/09 Expecting #4 in March 10
Old 06-06-2007, 02:06 PM

I have had my 2.0's for a few months now and I notice when I pick up my son, his diaper starts to come undone. I dont even use these dipes all the time (love my FB!) and the velcro is so weak already. Am I going to have to repair them every few months. GRRRR. My SIL has a sewing machine, but she has enough things on her plate so I dont want to bother her with fixing my dipes. GRRRR.

I just cannot get over how weak the velcro has become!

Dawn
Old 06-06-2007, 02:12 PM

So I've noticed the same thing! I don't think I need the tabs replaced yet but I can see us going in that directs sooner than later and I've only had mine for about 5 months. The other thing I've noticed is that on one diaper (out of 6) the
elastic around the leg (sorry can't remember proper term) is not as tight as on our other BM 2.0's. I noticed it when I started to hang dry them during sunny weather and could compare them all hanging in a row. What could I do about that?
Old 06-06-2007, 02:38 PM

A good, professional retail company that respected their customers would either replace the item or would have you return it and would make the repairs and then it back. They shouldn't just assume that you know how to repair it because if you aren't knowledgeable you can affect the performance of the diaper. I don't like their tabs anyway. Sure they provide a great fit, but they get pilly really fast, which is a mark of cheap fibers. At $16-$18 a diaper I'd expect better.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:14 PM

:
Old 06-06-2007, 04:52 PM

the fact they have replacement tabs on hand is a bit of a red flag if you ask me.....i would complaine to bumgenius...for heavens sake they cost a small fortune
Old 06-06-2007, 05:24 PM

The same thing happened with my BGs (and the leg elastic thing, too). I did a quick stitch around the edges of the tabs to sew the halves back together. I don't sew, either, so it's really primitive, but it works. I ordered some more AIOs from Bumware, which I loooooove...they use much stronger "velcro" stuff and have worked much, much better for us. Plus, I got a couple cute embroidered ones. The BGs are now relegated to last resort (if everything else is in the laundry). I use them with a doubler so that my son doesn't end up soaked. Yeah, they suck.

Now I'm having a whole different problem...my son has figured out how to get out of his clothes and his diapers. I'm thinking duct tape might work .
Old 06-06-2007, 06:06 PM

Even though these diapers are one size and should fit until my DS is out of diapers, I really don't think they are made to last that long. Mine are less than 5 months old and looking like crap already - There is no way they will last another 1-2 years.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:20 PM

Wow. Thanks for the info ladies. I have one Bg 2.0 OS. I have been really wanting to try some of the aio's but I'm starting to reconsider :
Old 06-06-2007, 07:27 PM

I mean don't get me wrong I use them everyday and they are part of a small stash but one would hope they could stand the test of time.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:46 AM

Oh how sad. I have 6 BG aios and LOVE them! I've only had them a few months though.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
Old 06-07-2007, 01:04 AM

Tabs not sticking is an easily fixable issue primarily related to line drying or pulling the tabs apart while the diaper is still warm out of the dryer. You just need to reset the "hooks" on your tabs by drying your diapers in the dryer on high heat and letting them cool COMPLETELY before removing the tabs from the laundry tabs. Sometimes it takes two cycles to see this resolved, but it does fix the "non-sticky" issue.

If tabs are separating or coming apart, this is a defect. Our manufacturer put somebody new into that position a while back and she was attaching the tabs to the diaper incorrectly. There is a *right* way to do it so they do not come apart. This has been long resolved, but I'm sure that there are still diapers out there that will need addressed. If you have one of those diapers, just let us know and we'll get you a new one.

If you have a problem or a question, we're always happy to help... you can email customer service at [email protected] or call us at 888-332-2243. If needed, I'm always available directly at [email protected].
Old 06-07-2007, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Okay so I'm curious. I didn't know you were allowed to dry 1.0's on high heat? How are you supposed to fix the not sticking problem with them? Also, I am not sure why I was sent 2 repair kits if you are offering to replace the defective diapers.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Old 06-07-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
Okay so I'm curious. I didn't know you were allowed to dry 1.0's on high heat? How are you supposed to fix the not sticking problem with them? Also, I am not sure why I was sent 2 repair kits if you are offering to replace the defective diapers.
It shouldn't hurt your 1.0s to dry them a couple of times to rest your velcro.

My message above explains exactly how this should have been handled - if you were working through our customer service. After reviewing Mothering's posting policies it seems to be that it would be more appropriate if we took further conversation on the specifics of your situation to email. Could you email me at [email protected], please?
Old 06-07-2007, 05:05 PM

Jenn, my tab-not-sticking problem is with the loop part, not the hooks. The loop across the front of the pocket is the same as what's on the washing tabs on the newer bamboo fitted I have, not like normal fluffy loop, and it's just gone flat over time. I don't want to risk drying them if it won't help. What's your experience, will it help?
Old 06-07-2007, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Will do.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:51 PM

Most of mine are okay, but a couple did this- I'm a snap fan anymore (oh if HHs snapped lol).
Old 06-08-2007, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
Jenn, my tab-not-sticking problem is with the loop part, not the hooks. The loop across the front of the pocket is the same as what's on the washing tabs on the newer bamboo fitted I have, not like normal fluffy loop, and it's just gone flat over time. I don't want to risk drying them if it won't help. What's your experience, will it help?
That is an original (like first-run) bumGenius and all those have been replaced as we've found the customers who bought them. Send it back and you'll get a brand-new 2.0.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:52 AM

My issue is with the elastic. It's pilly and doesn't look nice anymore. And I don't even use my bumGenius diapers constantly. I'm not too impressed with these diapers with how awful they look in such a short period of time.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochanyk View Post
(oh if HHs snapped lol).
HH's just came out with a version that has snaps and velcro. (wuwu!) I hope to be selling them on my website within the next day or two. www.sunflowersandsunshine.com and am definitely going to get a few for myself as well to test them out.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:03 AM

I'm going to try this stuff and see if it works for us. The replacement tabs are worth a shot.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyddeville View Post
My issue is with the elastic. It's pilly and doesn't look nice anymore. And I don't even use my bumGenius diapers constantly. I'm not too impressed with these diapers with how awful they look in such a short period of time.
Yep, they look worn out in no time. Just this morning I noticed a tab separating on a 2.0. Guess I get to contact customer service now.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Jenn, I emailed you but I haven't heard back yet. Just wanted to make sure you got it.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:51 PM

I emailed about a couple I have issues with too. Let see how it goes.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:16 PM

Oh man! I am sad to see this thread...we just bought a dozen BG 2.0's 2 weeks ago. And we use them all the time. I have noticed the tabs already look crappy...aw, this sucks.
Anika

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
Old 06-08-2007, 04:46 PM

Is this mainly a problem with the 2.0's? I just bought some 1.0's from a mom on ds, one never used, one like new. I just wanted to try these as the haute pocket left red marks on ds's thighs.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
Old 06-08-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyBabyBird View Post
Is this mainly a problem with the 2.0's? I just bought some 1.0's from a mom on ds, one never used, one like new. I just wanted to try these as the haute pocket left red marks on ds's thighs.
The diapers I'm having a tab problem with are 1.0s. I sent an email to customer service and I'm going to be sending them my diapers on Monday (next time I can get to the Post Office). I would be thrilled if they were fixed or replaced.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:08 PM

Oh man I could cry seeing this thread...I just bought 9 of these for my DD and with our budget getting tight as DH and I pay for next semesters classes for school I am not going to be able to afford new diapers anytime soon and needed these to hold up :
Old 06-09-2007, 12:47 AM

My friend had the same issue with the tabs. Mine, however, look great still. I have been using BG for almost a year and no problems. I have never dried mine in the dryer--maybe that wears out the tabs faster? Just a thought.

User Tag List