Who uses mama cloth? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 07-19-2003, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been using cloth pads since my dd was 4 months old and AF returned(I was not happy about that as I was BF non stop!).

I've tried lunapads, a couple styles of wahm pocket pads, and some of Anne's prettypads. The prettypads are my fav's by far ... the lunapads are my second fav's ...though they tend to bunch up and aren't the most comfy ... and the pocket pads while well made are annoying because of the inserts (nothing like trying to stuff a floppy soaker into a slippery PULand microfleece pocket LOL).

Blessings

Jes

tireless sewer of teeny little clothes for Bamboletta dolls ...

#32 of 40 Old 07-19-2003, 02:23 PM

I use them with a keeper. I have some from a WAHM but now I make my own. BKT anf flannel no snaps or anything just big enough flaps thst they stay put.

I just rinse them and wash them with my towels and other rags.

Christi
DS1(12), DD(7)blessed with T21, DS2(2), and DD2 - newly arrived 1/28/11
#33 of 40 Old 07-19-2003, 02:33 PM

I just had my very first period since baby was born (she's 6 months now) and I used mama pads for the first time. I found that the ones I used were sooo much more comfortable than the disposables. I made them myself by using 4 layers of Dingleberryz flannel and backed it with PUL. Never bled through! EVEN OVERNIGHT!! I always had leaks with disposables as I am a heavy bleeder! All I did to clean up was to rinse and wring and hang to dry. There was a few I made with a cutesy knit print on top but I found those to hold blood stains so I used peroxide and they came right out. With the Dingleberryz flannel though, the blood just rinsed right off.

As far as the cloth toilet wipes...any of you ladies care to let me in on how you got your hubbies to do this? I mentioned it and my Hubby about had a fit! LOL!!!!
Scottie
#34 of 40 Old 07-19-2003, 03:17 PM

Growing up, my grandmother made my pads for me as a special gift when I started my period. My mother did not allow tampons, (never really wanted to use them anyway), so I have used mama cloth for let's see, 17 years now. (I am a young mama of 29, but my cycles began early at age 12)

My favorite place to get my cloth for both post-partum and regular cycles (whenever they occur...I haven't had one since the birth of my first boy 5 years ago!) is www.mom-and-me-creations.com

Jen's pads (called Heavenly Mamas) are the closest to the cloudlike pads that my dear grandmother used to make for us, and she (like Grandmother) uses hemp which I LOVE against my skin. I would use nothing else. They become softer with each wash, I can choose the fabric, and wear with or without the inserts. She has a lot of try it out options, and I would highgly recommend her pads for their durability, and softness.

I have a cool pad pot that my aunt made for me that keeps everythig discreet. All I do is cover them with cold water and a drop or two of tea tree oil or lavender, change the cold water daily until I wash with my baby wipes. I have never had stains because I wash often. I keep them in a drawer with a lavender sachet, so they smell lovely when I put them on too.

My friends in high school were always curious, some were downright mean about it, but I didn't care, using cloth tied me to my grandmother who has been so much of an influence on me. And like she used to say, "If they don't get it, it wasn't meant for them..." In college, it wasn't a problem, I actually converted most of my friends to cloth by that point...

I converted quite a few hospital nurses to cloth after I had ds#1, and my midwives were really impressed with the fact that I have never used anything other than hemp.

My dh loves that we never have to go down the diapering or feminine products aisle in the market, and I love that I have never spent $$$ on paper/plastic/who-knows-what-else products that are worn during such a feminine time.
#35 of 40 Old 07-19-2003, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DandelionCrown
Mom still refers to them as 'things for the ladies'.
My family jokingly calls them "whosie-whatsits," which is what my Grandfather used to call them when he was asking my mom if she needed any at the store.

I'm glad to see info about cloth toilet wipes. I have been giving some thought to it. Man, my in-laws will think I have totally flipped. Poor people...they just can't understand how their midwestern boy married such a granola girl.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#36 of 40 Old 07-19-2003, 11:02 PM

Mochamama, I just wanted to say thanks for your story. I have sometimes wondered what would happen if/when I have a daughter and I introduce her to mama cloth (I plan to buy my own soon). I would love for my daughter to have a story like yours.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#37 of 40 Old 07-19-2003, 11:29 PM

Thanks, funshine! What a nice thing to say!! I enjoy reading your posts here....I think that we have a lot in common.

I plan to do the same with my daughter (if I ever have one), I guess I never fully appreciated my grandmother and mother's wisdom until adulthood, but I love that they were so eager to pass some of it along.

Take care,
Mocha mama to ds 4 years old, ds 2 years old and just waiting, waiting, waiting for my homebirth to happen...ho hum
#38 of 40 Old 07-20-2003, 01:56 AM

how inspiring! should i ever be blessed with a girl, i hope to make her som "things for the ladies". I only recently discovered cloth (during my pregnancy for PP.) and feel ripped off that i was led to spend money on the filth i used to use.

i also began my cycles when i was 12, i remember how awful i thought it was. i love using cloth for wipes, pads, diaper, everything. it makes my life feel more valuable. there are few things thrown away in our house. we use cloth produce sacks when we shop, cloth wipes in the bathroom. i hope i can share this sense of permanence and value with my babies.

tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#39 of 40 Old 07-20-2003, 03:01 AM

I have been using cloth since my ds1 was born, though haven't had many periods since then...I have never had any specials pads though, just used the kids' old doublers, or a prefold around the house. I think I will make some for myself though...

We use cloth wipes for the toliet too. My husband is not thrilled, but I switched while we were seperated, and he hasn't complain. It really is a waste, and we're washing dipes anyway...

oh, and they really don't smell, we wash evey 2 days or so with dipes, sometimes nightly. Definately not any worse than the diaper pail!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#40 of 40 Old 07-20-2003, 03:25 AM

What a timely thread ...I have just started accumulating some cloth pads & am waiting the arrival of my cycle to try them for the first time....I can't wait! I have bought some flleece topped pads which should be comfy....
Thanks ladies for the good words!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page