Who uses mama cloth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are your secrets 4 success? What do/don't you like? How exactly does it work?
#2 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 12:28 AM

hi, my name is tabitha and i use mamacloth. :LOL

I make a lot of my mamacloth. but, i have tried WAHM cloth, and my ultimate fav (i just posted about this is another thread) is Reddy's

http://www.reddyspads.com

although i haven't seen her advertize here, just at local environmental festivals.

i didn't care for gladrags, imo they are too much hassle (with the inserts) and just not enough coverage.

we use cloth toilet wipes so we have a wet footpedal pail right next to the toilet, and i put my pads in there. the pail gets washed with the dipes.

good luck tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#3 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by tabitha

we use cloth toilet wipes so we have a wet footpedal pail right next to the toilet, and i put my pads in there. the pail gets washed with the dipes.

REALLY? OMG I have NEVER heard of ANYONE doing this! WoW! Doesn't that get pretty stinky tho? and what does company think when they come over?
#4 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

I must say tho- that is DEDICATION!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't mind using that for #1- but #2- No WAY! LOL it smells bad enough in the air after you flush- let alone in a pail in the bathroom- P U!
#5 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 12:40 AM

I use mama cloth. I've only had 3 cycles so far since the birth of my dd so I haven't tried much besides gladrags. I like their overnight pads for my heavier days and for light days I use their regular pads. I would like to try others, but we are ttc #3.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#6 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 12:40 AM

:LOL

it isn't as rare as you might think! doesn't get any 'stinkier' than ds's pail, less even i'd say, as its a wet pail (ds's is dry) and ds's has a lot of pee in it and ours doesn't! we have no stain probs (wet pail).

we purchase the odd roll of SeventhGen recycled TP for guests. Most guests never notice.

What do you think people did before we wasted tons and tons of chlorine-bleached paper on TP?

you might give it a try- we have a ceramic of adult "wipe solution" sitting on the toilet for wet wipes, too- they're much much nicer than icky paper.

tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#7 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I LOVE mama pads, and used them long before I even thought of having a baby. I had lots of yeasty/sensitivity/yucky issues and using cloth rather than paper really helped me out.

I started with gladrags, and loved them for quite a while. I find the inserts to be a bit of a pain though. One fell out of DH's pant leg at work (static cling!) in front of a bunch of the unenlightened. I still get a bellyache from laughing when I think about it! I now prefer AIO type, though I still use the gladrag holders as panty liners, and I still like the big night pads for heavier times.

I rinse them in the sink and store them in a pot (or diaper pail depending on which bathroom I'm in) to soak and wash them with the diapers (before babies, I washed them with towels). If it looks like they might stain, I pour some hydrogen peroxide on them and let the bubbles take out the mess. It really is easy and so much more comfy than plastic pads, or even tampons (I found them to be drying and irritating, though I used them for years).

I'm such a geek that I even wrote a little essay about pads (and why I chose to cloth diaper)... http://www.apronstringsbabythings.com/Areyounuts.htm
#8 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 02:07 AM

Quote:
we use cloth toilet wipes
When I was a preschooler, my mother was a teacher, and an older woman cared for me in her home. She used cloth "wipers." She had a stack of washcloths in a basket next to the toilet for this purpose, and after using one, she would rinse it out in the bathtub and toss it into the laundry. I have a very vivid memory of asking her why she did this. Her response: "Because it feels better."

So simple.

#9 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 02:41 AM

I found out about using cloth Gladrags from my sister last year (I didn't know they just snap around the panties so easily), and the first day I tried it I stopped hating my period for the first time in my life. Soooooo soft, no sticky parts to get stuck on me, soooo soft, no itching down there like I had with the disposible pad materials (my sister had experienced that too), and did I mention soooo soft?

I made most of my own pads out of organic flannel and some very-absorbant organic woven towel material from CottonPlus.com. My fear before was that cloth wouldn't work for someone like me. I bleed through a night-time disposible pad, tampon, jeans, and all over the mattress once as a teenager (wonder how I'm still alive sometimes). I've had no leaking with the cloth pads I made, even without a waterproof liner. At night I love the Gladrags night-time pad (for the extra coverage) with another cloth pad wrapped around on top of it.

Washing is super-easy (much easier than shopping for pads each month and/or realizing you're out of pads in the middle of the night). I just throw them in a bucket of cool water under the sink (or a HappyTushies bag if at work). Then wash every 2-3 days (usually 3 total washes each month). I don't use any special detergents or anything. Trust me you'll never look back once you go with cloth, and you'll wonder how on earth you went so many years having to deal with the discomfort and inconvenience of the disposible pads.

If you can't sew the pads yourself, you might buy a few at a time as you can afford them (at Whole Foods they sell Gladrags in a tiny section of the shampoo/cosmetic aisle - I had to ask a worker to help me find them the first time I looked). Or of course you can buy them on the internet if you don't mind paying for shipping.
#10 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 03:35 AM

I love my momma pads! I have several that I made myself and some that a friend made for me. The only thing I don't like about them is I have never owned any that feel comfortable with skirts. I am pretty small and the pattern that I have and the ones that my friend made for me have "wings" that are a bit too long... They sort of "dangle" between my legs.
~~jenylynn~~
#11 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 03:53 AM

we use cloth pads AND wipes too (well DH doesn't but c'est la vie )

My pads are in a mesh drawstring bag in my drawer and I bring em out during my moontime and they sit proudly on the back of the toilet I have a seond mash bag and water inside a large tupperware cereal jug aka my MOONBUCKET *snort* (designated, people, designated...no it doesn't ever contain FOOD ) which I put my pads after wearing. i soak em and use the moon water to water my plants.

DD loves her little wipes, and the girl I baby sit is rarin' to go on the potty training now that she has used our cloth wipes :LOL. she runs into the bathroom with her pants around her ankles and wipes all by herself. It's just SO much easier for them to use than TP, which shreds sticks to their parts. Ahem, likewise for myself. If there's a messy mess, I'll use TP first then my warm-watered wipes. AAAAAAAAAAAH!!! nice, fresh and clean. No dingleberries

I am chuckling to myself at all the "TMI"

We have a basket that hangs from the TP rack, right within dd's reach, and another old juice jug beside the toilet for dd to drop them into. It fills up fast and thus they get washed often, but I am really thinkng about the footpedal wet pail thing. I saw one at the dollar store with a solid removable pail inside.
edit to add that every few weeks I boil all the wipes for 15 mins or so.

The TP is in the junk basket on the back of the toilet.
#12 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I'm such a geek that I even wrote a little essay about pads (and why I chose to cloth diaper)... http://www.apronstringsbabythings.com/Areyounuts.htm
I meant to thank you for this, Rebecca! My sister was harrassing me about cloth diapers/pads recently. I e-mailed her your thoughts on this because you answered every argument she had. Amazingly, she has said nothing in reponse. Very rare, considering she's a lawyer!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#13 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm INTERESTING! I think I am gonna give it a try- if I can find any good ones! What is your "wipers" solution? I could just throw them in w/ ds's diapers.... Will baby washcloths work?

Kayla
#14 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks, Elena!! When I first posted that, I think my mother, MIL, sister, etc were horrified that I'd have an essay for all to read about something so 'disgusting, weird, personal', etc. Mom still refers to them as 'things for the ladies'. LOL!! I've heard all the opposition, questions, concerns, etc (there are more gross ones in the FAQ page). Then again, they all thought no one would see my site anyway, that I was smoking crack thinking anyone would ever buy cloth diapers and pads. Hyenas, they are not! LOL!!

Think that Sis would ever give it a whirl? My sister is a marine biologist/naturalist/crunchy chick and is horrified by cloth pads.... And she organizes beach cleanups for her nonprofit company where they find plastic tampon applicators strewn all over the beach, also, she is at sea for weeks at a time, and has even had to repair heads (toilets) with tampons jamming the mechanisms... and she still thinks cloth pads/keepers/sponges are gross...
This is the same chick who is a vegetarian unless we go to taco bell, and she can't resist that seasoned, ground mystery meat! Aah... we have so much work to do!
#15 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 10:23 AM

Postpartum I used my fleece topped hemp doublers from www.smjae.com. I couldn't afford pads (since I had spent all my dough on diapers: ). They worked pretty good. A friend of mine makes her own and tops them with velour and I think I'll order some of those when AF returns. My mom bought me and my sister a mooncup for mothers day and I cant wait to use it.
#16 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DandelionCrown
One fell out of DH's pant leg at work (static cling!) in front of a bunch of the unenlightened. I still get a bellyache from laughing when I think about it!

OMG that is sooooo funny. I can just picture it! Giggle...Snort I can just imagine him wanting to and/or outta there!

I am searching for mama cloth 'cause I can't stand the disposable. As for adult wipes, heck, I prefer that 'cause I'd feel cleaner!
#17 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 11:28 AM

I have been using cloth mama pads for over ten years and love them--I have even recycled my old fold-to-fit pads which are actually flannel squares with an extra layer of flannel in the center into uh-um cloth wipes for the bathroom--we all use them too and I am saving lots of money on TP--recently I have treated myself to some new pads for the babymoon--here are some of my favorite places to buy:

Liz's Cloth & Kristin's Cloth
http://www.diaperware.com

http://www.ladypads.com

http://www.hiddenpearlcreations.com (BTW she has *shell wipes* as an alternative to TP too)

http://www.countrycuttins.com

http://www.hagrag.bigstep.com

I alos have some Gladrags which I like--they are very durable--and also just ordered some Pretty Pads http://www.prettypads.com

I find once you start using them, they are so comfy that you will not want to go back to paper pads and those awful adhesives. They are easy to wash too.
#18 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DandelionCrown

Think that Sis would ever give it a whirl? My sister is a marine biologist/naturalist/crunchy chick and is horrified by cloth pads.... And she organizes beach cleanups for her nonprofit company where they find plastic tampon applicators strewn all over the beach, also, she is at sea for weeks at a time, and has even had to repair heads (toilets) with tampons jamming the mechanisms... and she still thinks cloth pads/keepers/sponges are gross...
This is the same chick who is a vegetarian unless we go to taco bell, and she can't resist that seasoned, ground mystery meat! Aah... we have so much work to do!
This is toooooo funny. Thanks for posting.:
#19 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 11:54 AM

Just wanted to add, the Cloth for Mom section at Family Auction always has lots of nice WAHM-made cloth pads for the bidding -- so you can try out several types and often get a great deal too. http://www.familyauction.com
#20 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Okay! I hope I can find some before AF comes bak- ALTHOUGH I just ordered a CASE of pads.................... What do you use for or heavy bleeding?
#21 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 12:58 PM

Post partum i used prefolds!

Next time i'll make big Postpartum pads that can be used with a belt, as i wasn't keen on wearing panties. well, i never am really.

The Reddy's are really fine for heavy days, never had a leak.

tabitha

#22 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 01:03 PM

I started using cloth pads in febuary when I bought some Kristin pads from naturalbabies I just love them. they are so comfortable who needs to have something sticky between there legs not me. They were so comfortable when I had my miscarriage last month they held so well. I was very pleased. Iam looking to try a diffrent brand. just for change.

Christina

Mom to  Rachel 15 Kimberly 12 Chloe 10 and Nathaniel 8
#23 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 01:06 PM

I plan on using the Hidden Pearl Creations postpartum/ night time LadyGlows and also the same length and thickness of LadyPads. http://www.hiddenpearlcreations.com and http://www.ladypads.com Gladrags also makes a longer and insert-type postpartum pad so you can adjust the thickness. http://www.gladrags.com Although this is the first time I will be using them for a babymoon, I have used them following two m/c (sorry if that's tmi) but they worked really well.
#24 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Are they easy to come by used? I just would rather spend my $$ on diapers.....

Kayla
#25 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 01:29 PM

I don't think I would want to buy used ones! If you don't want to spend alot of money, check out the auctions or buy a sampler pack. I think they would be easy enough to make too--I just don't sew. I read in another thread where a mama bought a few packs of the cheep washcloths at the dollar store and used them and they worked too.
If you have to buy pads and/or tampons every month anyway, the cloth pads will pay for themselves in about a year and they will last for many years. I have some that are over 10 years old and they are just as soft and as absorbent as new ones (actually softer!)--No fraying, no rips or holes either, I only had to throw one out in ten years and that's because it fell off the clothes line and got run over on a a stone drive way and got chewed-up by the stones
#26 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 01:38 PM

Before I got pregnant I was using lunapads for about 2 years, maybe. they worked well. On heavy days I'd use a disposable panty liner, keeping the same one in as I changed the lunapads during the day, just in case it soaked through at all, though it rarely did.

I have had some laundry issues - I got unbleached white and they were so pretty when new, but they did get stained. I'd rinse them out after using them (or when I got home), and usually put hydrogen peroxide on them, and then soak them in a covered pot dedicated to that purpose. But if I went more than a few days without washing, I didn't like how the water smelled. It would be nice to just go the whole 7-8 days and then launder them altogether at the end.

I like durable goods, which is why I started using them. I like not having to buy disposable pads every so often - one less thing on my mind, I know I'm always prepared. I don't find the cloth pads to be as quite as comfortable as disposies, though - they're a little bulkier.
#27 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 02:16 PM

I just gave up on my Mooncup -- the fit and my anatomy just didn't get along -- and I have been resigning myself to using tampons plus a huge cloth pad at night. Even the biggest cloth pads just aren't enough for my heaviest nights. But a prefold ... Hey, now that's a great idea! I have some really nice infant-sized 4x8x4s that would work wonders, I'll bet.

Does anyone have any personal experience comparing AF absorbency between hemp fleece and UBCPFs? I'm very familiar with hemp fleece's absorbency for my heavy-wetting DD, but I wonder if AF absorbs differently -- especially during those heavy days, when things can be rather thick ...

Edited to say I like Pandora Pads (although they are a pain to stuff). Luna Pads are comfy and soft -- love the little flannel wings, and the ability to take the soiled top layer/insert out on lighter days is nice -- but they're not quite as absorbent. I have a huge order on the way from Freshies! Check her out, she has some really innovative products.

MomNMe Creations has some pretty packages, but she makes them with PUL. I'm not a big fan of PUL pads because we live in a hot climate, and they get ganky and sweaty. You might could custom order them without PUL.
#28 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 04:30 PM

I haven't read other replies so forgive any redundancy.

I first "tried out" cloth for padding after the birth of my third. I made them out of soakers from old worn diapers or I folded some gerber prefolds up and used them (bulky but worked) I found washing was not a problem and I hope to buy "nice" momma pads in the future. (as of now AF hasn't returned 7 mos later, and I've only had my period maybe 4-5 times since the birth of my first!! )
#29 of 40 Old 06-28-2003, 05:04 PM

DD loves her little wipes, and the girl I baby sit is rarin' to go on the potty training now that she has used our cloth wipes :LOL. she runs into the bathroom with her pants around her ankles and wipes all by herself. It's just SO much easier for them to use than TP, which shreds sticks to their parts. Ahem, likewise for myself. If there's a messy mess, I'll use TP first then my warm-watered wipes. AAAAAAAAAAAH!!! nice, fresh and clean. No dingleberries

I am chuckling to myself at all the "TMI"

We have a basket that hangs from the TP rack, right within dd's reach, and another old juice jug beside the toilet for dd to drop them into. It fills up fast and thus they get washed often, but I am really thinkng about the footpedal wet pail thing. I saw one at the dollar store with a solid removable pail inside.
edit to add that every few weeks I boil all the wipes for 15 mins or so.

Well, I use cloth pads and have never had the idea to use cloth wipes for the toilet but after your post I may seriously think about it. I'm sure dh will think I'm nutso.

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#30 of 40 Old 07-19-2003, 01:12 PM

I started using cloth wipes when I was preg, and had to go pee every other minute, and couldnt fathom wasting all that tp.

dh does sometimes (his rational is that he doesnt even USE tp that often...nasty men....I call him drippy lol), and tp is out for guests...

I use mostly handmade wipes from receiving blankets that I use for all of us, baby too...but I put out first and try to wash and replace the few Happy Tushies Velour wipes that came with a set...sooooo gorgeous and soft!

I have to get some yellow or grey crackel or tye dye ones that she has...to match my bathroom!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page