Found flat flannel diapers in my closet. Usable for toddler? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-29-2007, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

I want to switch my little girl to cloth but given her age (19 mo) it doesn't seem economically feasible to buy a bunch of cloth diapers.

However, I just uncovered a small stash of either 18 or 36 (can't recall if there are 6 or 12 in a package) flat flannel diapers in my closet. I vaguely remember these being purchased in the haze that surrounded DD's birth. Are these what are called "prefolds"? I am so clueless about the CDs.

Can I use them for DD? How? What do I need? Covers? Pins?

Alternately I was thinking of cutting them up and turning them into family cloth/mama pads.

Opinions?

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 06-29-2007, 06:01 PM

With flats, you can very easily layer them, Use two diapers instead of one. so when folding, first lay the diapers on top of one another, then fold. . If you don't have enough of a stash, perhaps you have some recieving blankets kicking around that you could use.
I always liked using pins, instead of laying flat in a cover. I find dappi pull up diaper covers to be very affordable, and they worked great for me.
Good luck!
#3 of 3 Old 07-01-2007, 06:07 PM

I was given some flannel flats and at first I didn't really know what to do with them, so they were tucked away. But now I've discovered how much I like them for my 26mth old.

Mine are rectangular, I fold them in half, then half again, and half again. This fits perfectly laid in my Bummi's Super Whisper Wrap cover. I use two and this gives me 16 layers of flannel yet is super trim. At night I use three and a staydry microfibre doubler. Again trim and absorbent. And sometimes I add them to my other fitteds for nap/night time as extra absorbency.

I've never learned how to 'fold' the flats, I just keep folding them in half until they fit into the cover. They wash and dry like a dream. I can't believe how long I waited until I used them!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page