Happy Heinies and Detergent? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-01-2007, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:

I just purchased a Fuzzi Bunz and some Happy Heinies to try - my first foray into pocket diapers, I've only used flat and prefolds with covers 'til now (nearly 4 years of that!)....

I bought the diapers at Jillian's Drawers, and the site said to use Allen's or else Charlie's soap, and strip with BioKleen if necessary. So bought Charlie's soap and have used that in two loads of diapers now (I'd been meaning to switch to a better detergent anyway .... I use Arm & Hammer Free, with no issues but I'd read that there were environmentally better detergents. Also, as I started looking for pocket diapers to try, I kept finding information saying that the "Free" detergents, including Arm & Hammer, were actually bad for diapers and caused buildup.... Although that hasn't been an issue for me, but then again I occasionally would bleach my diapers since they were all 100% cotton ).

So, I just went looking for some more information on the Happy Heinies (I really like the ones we got), and DiaperPin has a post on their review section saying that they DON'T recommend Charlies; their website recommends several different detergents (Tide, etc.) but to NOT use "natural" soaps, such as (list of Dr. Bronners, Allen's, etc.) - as those will coat the fleece and cause it to repel.

So what's the dish?? What's true? What do you (those who use Happy Heinies) do? And I'd imagine that the same would be true of Fuzzi Bunz, those are still fleece and PUL after all.????

ETA:
But the FB site says that Charlie's Soap is fine (among the recommended detergents) for theirs?? And so many of the cloth diapering sites recommend Allen's or Charlies with diapers in general, but do sell the pocket diapers like FB and HH -- so what gives? I'm still confused.

Not all who wander are lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-01-2007, 03:40 PM

I use Purex or Costco's brand (can never remember the name of it), occasionally Tide or Cheer - but never a 'free and clear' version. I've never had a problem with any of my pockets repelling and I've been at this for almost 5 yrs now
#3 of 7 Old 07-01-2007, 06:44 PM

I've been washing my HH's in All F&C which is on the no-no list, but I haven't had a problem at all. I do have an HE machine, which may or may not make a difference.
#4 of 7 Old 07-02-2007, 03:45 AM

we are Charlies lovers here.
not only does it NOT cause buildup of detergent in pockets (for US) but it has stripped out lots of gunk from microfleece, etc.
we are a family of Charlies lovers.
if Charlies works for you, use it

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#5 of 7 Old 07-02-2007, 12:27 PM

The reason HH doesn't recommend Charlies is because she talked to them personally and they said Charlies is not strong enough to clean CDs and that people should use bleach along with it to really get diapers clean. Which, of course bleach is a no no for HHs. So, that is the reason. But, many other people seem to use it with no problems. I have never tried it. I use Cheer Free and it works fine for me. I think Allens is fine for HHs too though. It's not on the "bad" list.
#6 of 7 Old 07-02-2007, 03:05 PM

HH REALLY doesnt like Charlies. she feels like they have mislead people.
i DONT feel like Charlies has mislead anyone. i feel like they are a great company with a great product and great customer service.
if Charlies didnt exist DD and i would be in constant pain with open oozy sores in our eczema. Charlies is the ONLY detergent (and we have tried just about everything under the sun including Sun!) that doesnt hurt our skin.

yes CHarlies reccomends a SMALL ammount of bleach in each load of diapers, to help kill any bacteria.
I dont use it. the only time i use Bleach is when i get used diapers FSOT, then i use 1/8-1/4 cup in a full machine let it aggitate THEN add the diapers.

for getting rid of bacteria we turn the hot water heater us as hot as it goes and occasionally use some GSE.

our wash routine is:
turn up hot water heater all the way
cold cycle, just diapers, to wash out the pee and rinse off the poop.
HOT full cycle with 1tbsp Charlies powder
HOT full cycle with nothing to make extra sure all of everything is rinsed out of the diapers.
then either line dry IN the sun for its bacteria killing properties, or on HOT in the dryer, for more germ killing goodness.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#7 of 7 Old 07-02-2007, 05:02 PM

I hated Charlies. Nothing gets clean and my hot water bill was outrageous with all the extra washings I did. Not to mention the fact that I could never leave the house because I always had diapers washing and washing and washing.

I use Planet and we use HHs overnight. The issue with "natural" detergents are the ones with plant-based cleaners and some of the natural scent oils they use.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page