My newly used CD smell like food - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-02-2007, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just recieved my new set of used diapers and they smell like food I just did a normal CD wash (cold rinse, hot wash w/ detergent and extra rinse) and they still smell like the sellers house. I know that there are certain soaps and steps that need to be taken with the CD's and I don't want to mess them up, I am about to do a sun bleach, but I don't know how that will help with the smell. (There are a few stains on the attached doublers that I am hoping to remove by sun bleaching.) Any suggestions?
#2 of 2 Old 07-02-2007, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
with ALL used diapers i get i do the same routine to strip them:
turn up hot water heater and put 1-2 pots of water on to boil
start washing machine on a cold cycle with 1/8-1/4 cup chlorine bleach
once its full i let it aggitate for a minute to dillute all the bleach, then add diapers. let them aggitate for 5 minutes. then soak for 30 minutes. then i let the cycle finish.
run a HOT wash with the hot water from the water heater AND add the boiling water from the stockpots. i add 1-1.5 tbsp Charlies (which i use on ALL my laundry/diapers/bedding, everything it works amazing at stripping!!!)
after i start that load i put the pots back on to boil again.
run ANOTHER hot wash like that only without the detergent.
and warm or hot rinses until i see NO suds.
since Charlies is a LOW sudsing detergent i know if i am seeing suds its from any leftover detergent from the previous owners.

once i no longer see suds i will either line dry them IN the sun or dry them in the dryer on HOT.
that helps to get any/all germies out, and all the detergent/ammonia, etc out of the diapers

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page