gDiapers - what do you think? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-06-2007, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my brother asked me to post his blog interview with gDiapers to some eco-minded mommas

http://www.livegreensd.com/2007/07/g...-for-your.html

has anyone here ever tried them? what did you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2007, 05:17 PM

Oh no!!! I've never heard of these before...

Must-put-credit-card-away...

But, can't...

Will report back in...hmm...5-7 days I guess!!!

Old 07-06-2007, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I think they are hypocritical in a way. Sure, they have a cloth cover, but you are still disposing of a large part of it. Putting all those chemicals and paper into the toilet isn't any less wasteful than throwing it in the garbage, in my opinion, even if it isn't plugging up landfills. Also, I wouldn't want any of those materials/gel beads touching my baby's skin.

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:43 PM

G-dipes always pop up every few weeks. Do a thread search and you will see what I mean. I have heard lots of complaints about the inner goo causing all sorts of plumbing catastrophes. Alot of people just use the covers over a PF and skip the inner goo. Apparently if your baby has a large poo, there is no way to dump the inner goo without touching poo! ICK!
Old 07-06-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful_maia View Post
I think they are hypocritical in a way. Sure, they have a cloth cover, but you are still disposing of a large part of it. Putting all those chemicals and paper into the toilet isn't any less wasteful than throwing it in the garbage, in my opinion, even if it isn't plugging up landfills. Also, I wouldn't want any of those materials/gel beads touching my baby's skin.
They don't have gel beads in them, just pulp.

My problem is that if you don't compost (HOA is very strict and we don't have a local place to do it) you can easily use MORE water flushing the inserts than you can washing a load of diapers. Also, they are finicky w/certain septic systems. I have three toilets in my house and there are two that would back up if I flushed them. The one that did work was a pitb to get to b/c it was the furthest from anywhere I changed diapers. I really didn't like doing a mad dash across the house and up the stairs w/a dripping poopy (BF poop) diaper to go flush it. I quickly figured out that prefolds in a g diaper pant worked so much better. You have to wash the gdiaper covers anyway.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:44 PM

Cool! The gdiaper covers look nice. I'd like to see how they compare to other covers. They are out of my dd's size in the cute ones for now, so we'll wait anyway!
Old 07-07-2007, 05:52 PM

i'm trying them out right now. i'm not flushing them though. but it is still better than throwing a sposie away because the inserts will degrade completely. i'm hoping the breathability helps my son's diaper rash go away.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:09 PM

I've never tried the whole gDiaper system....but I like the covers over a prefold. Very trim, very cute, hard for my daughter to take off!

They do suck in the wash though--that H&L is way snaggier than any other. I don't know what they use but it sticks to EVERYTHING. Also, one of mine, which has been washed MAYBE five times, if that, already has a hole in it.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:15 PM

i'm not overly impressed. they *maybe* hold one pee for my super soaker dd, and its fiddly to get the insert in just right with no gaps. we've had a couple leaks. we're throwing the inserts away because there's no way our plumbing would last if we tried to flush them. and the covers leave red marks on dd's legs -- i'm going to try the next size up because i do think they're better than other sposies wrt waste, but i think this may be a case of i *want* them to work so much that i'm willing to keep trying when the product itself may not be that great . . . . . imho, cloth is much easier (if you can get your dh to wash them whilst you're hugely pregnant and supposed to be resting : but i digress )

Obstruct livery vehicles!

Old 07-08-2007, 04:40 AM

I agree all out cloth is much easier than g diapers. I really did like them, but I also think it was b/c I kept forcing myself to. Now that I do solely cloth I'm not that big of a g fan. However, if I have to choose between g's and sposies I'll take the g diapers any day!
Old 07-08-2007, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysmommy2004 View Post
They don't have gel beads in them, just pulp.
The g-diapers do have sodium polyacrylate (aka gel beads), see their website stating that they use super absorbent polyacrylate.

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
Old 07-08-2007, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherRN View Post
The g-diapers do have sodium polyacrylate (aka gel beads), see their website stating that they use super absorbent polyacrylate.
Thank you, I will check it out again. I had read it a long time ago and did not remember that. :

User Tag List