Holy Ammonia-smell, Batman!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-13-2007, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My diapers don't smell when they come out of the wash, but when my daughter uses them....phewweeeee!

And when I open my diaper pail, that smell could peel paint.

What is causing this? How can I stop it?

We are using all Fuzzi Bunz and Magic-Alls....not a natural fiber in sight. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2007, 11:29 AM

you need to strip them. About once every 1-2 months we run all of our diapers through the dishwasher about 5 times.

You can open the dishwasher mid-cycle and the ammonia smell will knoock you over... we keep running them untill there is no smell... This will also bring out stains you didn't even know were there.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:15 PM

I had this with all of my dipes that had some sythentic fibres in them, but I didn't actually strip them. (I don't have a dishwasher)
I just started to do a coldwater prewash with no soap, and then a hotwater cycle with a tiny amount Tide free and clear: and my dipes no longer smell...thank goodness!! I do this every time for a load of dipes. It seems to keep them pretty stain free as well. I also only line dry.
hth
A

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
Old 07-13-2007, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

I do have a dishwasher, so I guess I'll try putting them in there.

Do you do it with no soap?

Old 07-13-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post
I do have a dishwasher, so I guess I'll try putting them in there.

Do you do it with no soap?
no soap at all, heh you will see all kinds of suds from the soap that is already built up in the diapers.

once they don't stink anymore, be sure to move them to the washer to spin them before you dry them, otherwise it will take forever.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDaddy View Post
no soap at all, heh you will see all kinds of suds from the soap that is already built up in the diapers.

once they don't stink anymore, be sure to move them to the washer to spin them before you dry them, otherwise it will take forever.
This sounds like a good idea but I am confused. Why use the dishwasher? And how many dipes do you put in and how?

caffix.gif

Old 07-13-2007, 05:53 PM

It's all about HEAT.

The dishwasher has a heating element, it gets the water SUPER hot, this is as close as many of us come to the at home equivalent of what the diaper services do to clean their dipes (no chemicals super hot water).

We have a high efficiency/front loader washimg machine with "triple capacity" one load for that is equivalent to one load in the dishwasher. We just pile them all on the top and bottom rack... I prefer to do thick fitteds/stuffers and stuff on the bottom and prefolds and Fuzzybuns and other pockets on the top. You just need to make sure the thing on the bottom can spin, the thing in the middle is not blocked, and that no dipes will be touching the heating element on the bottom. It doesn't really matter how many dipers you put in there, but I suspect the less you have in there the faster they will strip. When we are done loading them both the racks are usually full to the top of the bars.

I swear once you start it is addictive, I mean the first time you open the dishwasher mid-cycle, be prepared because the ammonia can knock you over.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:00 PM

Wow, I've never heard of doing this. My FB's have been starting to stink lately... will have to try this soon! thanks!
Old 07-13-2007, 06:08 PM

Thanks.

caffix.gif

Old 07-13-2007, 07:15 PM

verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry interesting! off to 'strip' the dipes as soon as DD finishes nursing! i'll post back how it went.....
Old 07-13-2007, 10:32 PM

DH was out when I put the dipes in. Of course, he returned while I was in the bathroom... so instead of 'hello' he says 'why are there diapers in the dishwasher?'

anyway, yes, they got hot. and there seemed to be some foam at the bottom of the dishwasher when it was done. i opened it midcycle and it wasn't too bad of a smell. not enough to want to run it more cycles.

i think i'll try washing in the machine on hot with no soap and compare the results.

i line dry so haven't noticed much staining, and any smell goes away in the sun and fresh air. the times i've dried in the dryer i've noticed the dipes are not bury-your-face-and-nose-in-them fresh (like they are off the line).

oh, and ftr i use kooshies everything plus a few super whisper wraps.

OP how often do you wash? when i let the diaper pail sit for more than a day and a half it gets a bad smell, so strong and i'll usually have to wash them twice if i've let them sit like that.

so my 'stripped' dipes are out on the line drying as i type. anything noteworthy after they are dry i'll post back again
Old 07-14-2007, 01:39 AM

dont forget if you strip in the dishwasher to cover the jet dry dispenser!!!!!

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
Old 07-18-2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddysMama View Post
dont forget if you strip in the dishwasher to cover the jet dry dispenser!!!!!
How do you cover it?
Old 07-18-2007, 12:43 AM

Do you lay them on the racks or do you put them in some kind of mesh bag type thing?
Old 07-18-2007, 01:25 AM

We get this problem with our FBs also, and it's due to build-up of detergent.

If it happens again (and it probably will) run them through a hot cycle in the washer with just water, and look in while it is agitating to see if there are suds in the water (I usually do this with high-speed agitation to really get things shaking). If there are suds, you have soap buildup.

You can do the dishwasher thing, or just keep running them and running them through the hot washing machine until there is NO detergent left in them. Sometimes it takes a TON of cycles to clear them. You can also try pouring very hot or boiling water in your washing machine (if it is a top-loader. I've never used a front loader, and am guessing this would be a bad idea with one of those!). This helps for the same reason the dishwasher thing helps...the extreme heat helps release the detergent.

We have hard water, which is the cause of our constant build-up battle. I only use a tiny little bit of detergent. I had to experiment with the amount and brand until I got the very smallest dose that would get them clean. I'm using Allen's Naturally, which is $$$, but I'm only using 1/2 tbsp per load, so it lasts a LONG time. I bought a gallon jug of it at the beginning of January, and it's less than half gone now (I do a full tablespoon for regular laundry). I also use Calgon water softener in every diaper wash to help release detergent. It's expensive, and I hate it, but if I don't use it, the stink problem comes right back.

Good luck. It's a big pain in the butt. I just can't tolerate the smell in my house AT ALL, or worse, on my precious girl when I'm trying to hug her and kiss her. She should smell like toddler, not like ammonia.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:10 AM

subbing

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
Old 07-18-2007, 05:04 AM

cover the jet dry by unscrewing the top/stem, then covering with a layer or two of saran wrap, then screwing the top back on.
at least thats how i do it.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
Old 07-18-2007, 12:36 PM

Our Jet Dry just has vinegar in it. Well, actually, it might be empty. I have no idea when the last time I put something in it was.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
Old 01-03-2008, 10:14 PM

im sure this is a stupid question, but im supposed to wash the dirty diapers in my washing machine first, to get rid of poo and pee, THEN strip them in the dishwasher?

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
Old 01-06-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedmamajama View Post
im sure this is a stupid question, but im supposed to wash the dirty diapers in my washing machine first, to get rid of poo and pee, THEN strip them in the dishwasher?
Yes, I would definitely use the washing machine first.

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

Old 01-06-2008, 11:38 PM

I'm going to throw in a cog in this thread, I think....but I couldn't not say anything.

Please, please, please don't use your dishwasher to strip your diapers. It is dangerous! It could start a fire and cause harm or damage your dishwasher parts or cause a flood. And certainly all your warranties would be voided. The heat generated in the dishwasher could potentially melt snaps and the backing on velcro and instead of stinky diapers, you'll have useless diapers.

If you want to strip your diapers by using plain hot water, try turning up your hot water heater prior to doing a wash, and run them through your washing machine a few times with plain hot water. Then remember to turn your hot water heater down again when you are done to avoid scalding.

Karen
Old 01-07-2008, 01:18 AM

I was curious about this because I have been stripping my covers and hemp inserts ALL DAY. I ran the washer (front loader) at least 5 or 6 times, and there are still bubbles. How many times does it take? I put a 1/4 teaspoon of Ultra Dawn (couldn't find reg. strength at the grocer) on the first wash, but since then it's just been water. I'm getting really frustrated!!!

Old 01-07-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewandGreenBaby View Post
I'm going to throw in a cog in this thread, I think....but I couldn't not say anything.

Please, please, please don't use your dishwasher to strip your diapers. It is dangerous! It could start a fire and cause harm or damage your dishwasher parts or cause a flood. And certainly all your warranties would be voided. The heat generated in the dishwasher could potentially melt snaps and the backing on velcro and instead of stinky diapers, you'll have useless diapers.

If you want to strip your diapers by using plain hot water, try turning up your hot water heater prior to doing a wash, and run them through your washing machine a few times with plain hot water. Then remember to turn your hot water heater down again when you are done to avoid scalding.

Karen
I'll admit I tried the dishwasher thing after first reading this thread and there was so much steam pouring out of the thing that it scared me and I stopped it mid-cycle. It was so hot in there it made me nervous.

I've heard of so many people using the dishwasher, though, that I figured it must be working for some people!

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

User Tag List