cloth diapers...lay it on me. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-15-2007, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I'm pretty well positive that I want to switch DS to cloth (for health and financial reasons). Where do I start? Advice? Is it going to be harder to switch and execute at this point? (DS is 7.5 mo) Point me to links, give me suggestions. I want it all. TIA! :

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
#2 of 17 Old 07-15-2007, 05:35 PM

Moved to Diapering forum.
#3 of 17 Old 07-15-2007, 05:47 PM

It's a GREAT time! We've got our nearly 8 mo old in Fuzzi Bunz and love them. We've just moved up to sz medium so this a perfect time to get yourself a whole stash! You can either buy new (what we did) or buy someone's outgrown stash. FB are great b/c they are so easy, especially as you're coming from disposables. We tried other CD with our other kids but we always ended up quiting. Not this time though!

Good luck!
#4 of 17 Old 07-15-2007, 05:56 PM

It's definitely not too late to switch! We switched at around 8 months with our twins. I wish I knew about this board back then because we didn't stick with it. Now we're cd'ing our baby (he's 10 weeks, been cd'ing since 4 weeks) and I can't imagine going back.

Since financial reasons are one of your motivating factors, consider prefolds. We use a system consisting only of prefolds and bummis super whisper wrap covers. We had some dappi pull on covers when he was smaller and those are a great and economical cover. You have to pin or snappi with a dappi cover though. I never lay it in the cover without snappi'ing anyway, so no problem. At Little Lions you can get a two pack of dappi's for less than $5. I ordered all of my BSWW from Nicki's diapers and she has free shipping on covers. I got my prefolds from Green Mountain Diapers. They aren't the cheapest prefolds, but the quality is fantastic. I also have a few snappis. I bought a wahmies pail liner and I'm using Gerber baby washcloths for wipes (with just water). I believe at this point we've spent $215 from 4 weeks on and we're set until about 30 lbs. He's a big boy so we recently had to move up from the infant prefolds. You're out of that size though so you could order premiums.

We discussed using cloth for months from a few months before I delivered until we finally did it. I was just so nervous about washing them (we have a front loader), night time, etc. Everything is working out so well though. The washing is a piece of cake with prefolds. I hear you can run into some stink problems with fleece in a front loader but prefolds are easy. Night time is wonderful. He leaked out of pampers every single night. We've had a total of two leaks since cd'ing and I think those were operator error.

It's one of the best decisions we ever made. I just wish we realized it before our last baby!
#5 of 17 Old 07-15-2007, 06:36 PM

www.clothdiapering101.info is an informative site with how, what, why of cloth diapers

Free cloth diaper directory & other books like frugal cloth diapering, cloth diapering handbook, etc. at www.motherhoodnaturally.com/store

Otherwise, mdc is a great forum for diapering info! :-)

I've cloth diapered my babies since birth, but know many moms who have taken my classes (and online) who start later in the game. It's not been much of a problem and I think it costs a bit less because you aren't investing in a newborn stash :-) But, save your diapers for future babies if you plan to have more (maybe by in gender neutral colors) and you'll save even more.
#6 of 17 Old 07-15-2007, 06:52 PM

I switched to cloth pretty late. I can tell ya one thing...I wish that I had started with Fuzzi Bunz. It would have saved me a lot of money. I tried all sorts of diapers (prefolds, fitteds/covers, All In Ones) but I'm happiest with pocket diapers.

I shopped with www.zannadu.com and I think she has a coupon code right now. I'll have to look it up in my email.

Edited to add: I found the discount code. Here it is-
Use the code "zannadu4" to get 7% off an order of $15.00 or more.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#7 of 17 Old 07-15-2007, 07:52 PM

That's funny--we started with some prefolds and Bummi covers, plus some bumGenius AIOs and one-size pockets. I've also made a bunch of diapers now. But the things I like best are prefolds and my homemade fitteds, under covers. I love my Bummis covers, plus I use homemade fleece pull-on covers and some wool (I learned to knit and I'm making her some more wool!). The bGs are less and less favored around here. We have leaks with them but never with the prefolds or fitteds.
#8 of 17 Old 07-15-2007, 08:47 PM

I absolutely recommend http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com both for the awesome information she has on there, and the superior products she sells. Especially considering the quality, her prices are really great too.

I switched DS to cloth when he was 16 months old (although I had bought them when he was 10 months old--I couldn't start using them because I was sick during my preg. with DD), so it definately isn't too late for you! I started out with 6 Fuzzibunz, 2 Bummi Super Whisper Wraps, a Kissaluvs fitted, two pairs of Dappi fitteds, and 6 cotton terry "stuffers" for the FBs from Green Mountain (unfortunately, they're no longer carrying these ) Honestly, I hated the Dappi fitteds. The hook-and-loop tape tabs weren't big enough to really secure the dipe, and they have polyester batting in them (like those Gerber prefolds that aren't even good as burp cloths). The Kissaluvs was ok, but it does take a long time to dry. Eventually the rise was just too short for DS, but it works great on DD now The BSWW (I got white, not a print) is absolutely incredible. Those things are **bulletproof** and the fit range has been amazing...I *still* use the size medium on DS as a night-time cover. The Fuzzibunz...well, I won't get started on them. I've had leaks, elastic problems, snap problems, and DS grew out of the rise *way* too fast. He's still under the 30 lbs they claim is the upper limit, and he still fits in the with the snaps on the second setting...but the rise is so short, they just don't work anymore! Plumber butt+baby diaper=big messes
I ended up using those cotton terry "stuffers" from Green Mountain as contour diapers in the BSWW, and they are great for DS. And to replace the FBs that just didn't work for us, I sewed my own diaper covers and pocket diapers from some of the patterns that are available on the internet. You absolutely can't beat the financial savings is you sew your own! They're really not hard to do, even if you've never sewed before, so if you have a sewing machine, consider trying it! I'm developing my own diaper pattern now, because once you've started sewing your own, it becomes like an addiction In addition to the Green Mountain stuffers, I bought some microfiber towels from the Auto section at Wal-Mart to use the in the pocket diapers I've made...I think they were $4.99 for an 8-pack, and they're perfect tri-folded in a pocket diaper.

The washing is really easy...I wash every other day (because my pail won't hold more than 2 days of CDs from 2 kids) and it's such an easy part of my routine...the exact wash method you use will have to depend on your situation (HE vs. top-loader washing machine, the hardness of your water, whether you can line dry or want to machine dry, etc) so I won't get into that.

HTH you to come over to the "cloth" side!
#9 of 17 Old 07-15-2007, 09:53 PM

I agree with everyone else that it's definitely not too late to make the switch. I started cd'ing when my first was 15 months.

I highly recommend getting a few diapers of each system and seeing what system you like best. Some people LOVE their prefolds and covers. Others LOVE their pockets. Others swear by their aio's. You can never really go by someone else's advice alone in that, because for as many people who will swear by one system, there will be just as many who hate that system, kwim?
#10 of 17 Old 07-16-2007, 12:06 AM

Just wanted to suggest a brand like fuzzi bunz but cheaper, www.huggabuns.com

Single mom of 2 boys
#11 of 17 Old 07-16-2007, 08:55 AM

I dont like fuzzy buns because I love wahm companies and dont like how they moved their factories or whatever to Mexico, so I am now going to have to try a huggabuns

I absolutely LOVE velcro (aplix and touchtape are other brands that are often used for diapers) Its much easier to adjust. I hate bum genius because the area around the tabs is not waterproof. I like Happy Heiny pockets because they just need a piece of material stuffed into a pocket and then they are just like disposables as far as how they go on. My DD is 20 mos old though and we have to put shorts on over them to keep her from taking them off. She's an escape artist.
#12 of 17 Old 07-16-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm View Post
I highly recommend getting a few diapers of each system and seeing what system you like best. Some people LOVE their prefolds and covers. Others LOVE their pockets. Others swear by their aio's. You can never really go by someone else's advice alone in that, because for as many people who will swear by one system, there will be just as many who hate that system, kwim?
:

I love my prefolds at home... sooo easy. Prefolds out of the house are great too but I tend to prefer pocket diapers (my new bumgenius) when I am out and about. They are not perfect but I really like them so far. I loved Happy Heiny's at first but now it always leaks. I've tried different ways to wash but still no luck. Too bad for me b/c they are cute & the tabs are great. I have never tried AIO's, but I have tried fitted diapers and found that for me drying time is very important and I just can't stand having to wait sooo long.

www.healthydiapers.com has a few "how to videos". They are a diaper service, but actually watching someone change a CD was great for me AND my husband. These videos really won him over.

www.jilliansdrawers.com I love this site because it is so well organized. All of the choices out there can be so overwhelming. She really simplifies things and she has a great selection.

Good luck! It's all about finding the right system for you & your family which requires a bit of trial and error, but don't give up! Once you get it down you'll never go back.

PS wetbags are sooo great!!! They have great designs and I'd much rather wash and reuse then buy ziplocks or plasic bags. Get ALL day size if you can only get one.
#13 of 17 Old 07-16-2007, 06:46 PM

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents )

Do yourself and your hubby a BIG FAVOR and go with an EASY to use system!!!!

Even if it does cost a bit more get some really good diapers.

It will save you so much headache down the road.

Sure prefolds may cost a bit less, but I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone here, they are the most complicated system for newbies to cloth.

They are NOT hard, don't get me wrong, but if what you are used to is disposables get something as close to that as you can. You'll be much better off.

A good reliable diaper system just can't be beat. You'll be able to use it without hassle, or leaks!

If you see a few things you might like, try 1 of each, but don't go overboard trying to find the perfect diaper, lots of time, and money to waste doing that. Just find a few higher quality ones and try one of ea.

If you like pockets or all-in-ones get 2 or 3 to try. Unless of course you have a super heavy wetter, or a tall thin baby then do yourself a favor and go with a good fitted diaper and pull on covers. Tall thin babies just simply fit better, and heavy wetters will never leak in that combo.

I've cloth diapered 3 of my own babies and have been helping moms start cloth diapering for years and years. You are not alone, and although it may be confusing at first, once you decide on a good quality system, it's so so easy to cloth diaper.

If you have questions, ask a cloth diapering mom or 2 right away. Your problem may be so simple to fix but something you haven't thought of.

Also sticking with one system makes life a lot easier too for daddy. Nothing to guess about. Some parents get 2 systems, like all in ones for days and fitteds for nights, and that's okay too. Keep it simple!

Good luck, and keep us posted to how it's going!
#14 of 17 Old 07-16-2007, 07:05 PM

Oh, that post above was great - it's so true, just try out a couple of things, not tons of things because I think that gets overwhelming. Just pick a couple of things you think you might be interested in and try them out. And another thing, if you want pockets or all-in-ones, but think it's way too expensive, a 7 month old doesn't need 3 doz dipes like a newborn would, keep that in mind you can make do with the bare minimum. We have been using 17 diapers since maybe 4 months old, I think. I paid the same as I'd pay for a prefold package deal but got pockets and AIO instead. (and you can buy used too which saves $$)

Single mom of 2 boys
#15 of 17 Old 07-16-2007, 07:10 PM

I would say definitely not- we made the switch when Dd was almost two, and I'm now helping a mama who decided to Cd her newborn and then is starting to switch her older Dc who is 2 1/2 ( because we started so late we ended up with almosts all larges).
#16 of 17 Old 07-16-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaNY View Post
I loved Happy Heiny's at first but now it always leaks. I've tried different ways to wash but still no luck. Too bad for me b/c they are cute & the tabs are great.
Do you have patterned Happy Heinys or solid colors? The pattern ones tend to have to be re-waterproofed after awhile. A lot of brands have that issue because the patterned material is waterproofed differently than the solid colored. You can get some waterproofing spray at Walmart (or similar store) in the camping section I think? that works great.
#17 of 17 Old 07-16-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahbay View Post
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents )

Do yourself and your hubby a BIG FAVOR and go with an EASY to use system!!!!

Even if it does cost a bit more get some really good diapers.

It will save you so much headache down the road.

Sure prefolds may cost a bit less, but I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone here, they are the most complicated system for newbies to cloth.

They are NOT hard, don't get me wrong, but if what you are used to is disposables get something as close to that as you can. You'll be much better off.
If money is a big reason you're considering cloth, I'd still go with prefolds. I showed dh how to snappi a prefold and it took him a few days but he's got it now and has never had a leak. I told him in the beginning that we could order some fitted's or something if he didn't want to snappi a prefold. He said that he's the dad and perfectly capable of practicing how to fold and snappi a diaper on his son. Really, it takes some practice, but once it clicks and you get it, it's great.

With fancier diapers, it seems like there are always a lot of questions about problems with stinky diapers and stuff. I know for me, if I had to battle that, I would be likely to quit. We've got four kids and we both work and have a lot going on with the big kids. I don't mind doing the extra laundry AT ALL, but I want to know that after I do a load, they're done. I don't want to worry about what's going wrong.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page