Can anyone recommend an HE washer? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-15-2007, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are looking into washers and dryers for our house. A salesman at Sears told us none of theHE washers will allow you to add extra water to the wash. You can't override the sensor. Is that true? If it isn't which models allow you to do that?

Should we ditch the He idea all together?

I'd really like model recommendations please

Mommy to Violet Kisori born 3/3/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2007, 09:09 PM

we have an lg and love it! i just do a cool rinse and spin first with vinegar and then do a second full hot wash.

hth
Old 07-15-2007, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's true, you can't switch the water level on a FL, but you don't need to. It works on a different principle. I have an AEG and my dipes come out just fine. I do rinse, full 60C cycle, rinse again to make sure all the detergent is gone. Nice clean dipes.

I'm told the best ones (aside from German brands which are really expensive) are Whirlpool. Get the internal water heater if you can--it does a better hot wash and you don't suck all the hot water from your tank.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

Old 07-16-2007, 03:13 AM

I have an Ecosmart from Fisher and Paykel and I absolutely adore it. The dipes come out clean and it saves water. You have control over water levels and such though the internal sensors are very good at guessing. The first month I owned it, I kept pausing the cycles to peek inside. I'm a washing machine geek.

It is a top loader but it is classified as an HE.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:23 AM

We have an LG and I love it. I would definitely buy it again.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:46 PM

I have a top-loading HE washer, a Maytag Neptune. I haven't had it long enough to comment on its longevity, but I REALLY like have a top-loading HE machine, especially with dipes! I just up-end the diaper pail over teh washer and it all falls straight in! There's no agitator in the middle like regular top-loading machines, so I don't have to move anything around.

I do a regular Hot wash with presoak option, and I use the extra rinse option. (All one long cycle.) The only thing it doesn't have is a prewash option. My diapers are clean, and I'm happy.

Aven
Old 07-16-2007, 06:18 PM

i have the GE harmony ( toploading washer/ no aggitator)
i love it, but you can't add more water, but i find i don't need to

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
Old 07-16-2007, 06:32 PM

I love my Bosch. The internal water heater boosts the temp to 170 I believe that and the extra rinse makes washing diapers a breeze!! Plus it has a high RPM spin (1100 i think) AND it's quiet....not a lot of noise and vibration.

don't give up the he idea....many folks have success washing diapers in less water
Old 07-16-2007, 09:47 PM

Yeah.... like pretty much everyone in europe
my AEG is 1600 spin, really helps with the drying!

European washers can go up to 95C in fact (203F) but no one bothers with that. I do love my 60C cycle though--sanitises everything.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

Old 07-17-2007, 12:14 PM

Can I join in with a question?? We were talking about switching to HE but while travelling this last week I was using my mom's HE washer. It seemed like the cycles were sooo much longer. The rinse took 25 minutes and the 'whitest whites' with extra rinse took 85 minutes. Are they all like that?
Old 07-17-2007, 02:49 PM

Pretty much, there's some variation but say goodbye to 30min cycles. 60-80 mins is typical. There's usually a quick wash cycle of 30-40 mins, which is useless for dipes but great when your clothes are smelly but not really dirty.

you do get used to it. A 60C wash on mine takes 145 mins (this is exceptionally long, it's because I have a combi) and I just throw the load in and go do other stuff. If I had multiple kids in dipes it would suck (especially because I don;'t have a separate dryer unit) but for one, no problem.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

Old 07-17-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avendesora View Post
I have a top-loading HE washer, a Maytag Neptune. I haven't had it long enough to comment on its longevity, but I REALLY like have a top-loading HE machine, especially with dipes! I just up-end the diaper pail over teh washer and it all falls straight in! There's no agitator in the middle like regular top-loading machines, so I don't have to move anything around.

I do a regular Hot wash with presoak option, and I use the extra rinse option. (All one long cycle.) The only thing it doesn't have is a prewash option. My diapers are clean, and I'm happy.

Aven
i have a similar washer and I love it for all of the same reasons. I have a Kenmore Elite Oasis...it's basically Sears version of the Maytag.

I don't have to touch a thing, just dump the diaper pail into the machine and go. My machine does have a prewash option but I don't use it. I do a Whitest Whites cycle with extra hot wash and cold rinse, also using the 2nd rinse option. It takes 84 minutes from start to finish. I don't have an add water option, but I don't seem to need it, my dipes always come out clean, and the 2nd rinse is all I need to be suds free.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

We will be ready to buy in a month or so. I fell in love with an LG Trom. It even comes in cherry red!!! Yes, I know a color is not a good way to pick a washer! But I have heard all good things about LG's so I am leaning towards that one! Thanks everyone!!!!

Mommy to Violet Kisori born 3/3/10
Old 07-18-2007, 03:03 PM

Has anyone tried the Samsung Silvercare? It has a sanitize cycle that doesn't require heat, it somehow uses silver ions to kill bacteria. Seems very energy efficent, and I wonder if it would work well for dipes.

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oonah View Post
I love my Bosch. The internal water heater boosts the temp to 170 I believe that and the extra rinse makes washing diapers a breeze!! Plus it has a high RPM spin (1100 i think) AND it's quiet....not a lot of noise and vibration.

don't give up the he idea....many folks have success washing diapers in less water
I second this; I bought a Bosch several months ago and really like it. There is an option for a quick 25-minute wash that I use a lot (as opposed to the much longer usual front-loading cycles). It's really quiet and uses so little water-- I can take a shower or do the dishes while laundering, something I couldn't do before. The only thing that bugs me is that at the end of the cycle is a long, repeating "beep".

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

Old 07-18-2007, 04:38 PM

I have a whirlpool duet, i've had it for 4 years, and it washes just as well now as it did when I bought it, we've had no problems never had to have a service call and its big
Old 07-18-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopinknoblue View Post
i have a similar washer and I love it for all of the same reasons. I have a Kenmore Elite Oasis...it's basically Sears version of the Maytag.

I don't have to touch a thing, just dump the diaper pail into the machine and go. My machine does have a prewash option but I don't use it. I do a Whitest Whites cycle with extra hot wash and cold rinse, also using the 2nd rinse option. It takes 84 minutes from start to finish. I don't have an add water option, but I don't seem to need it, my dipes always come out clean, and the 2nd rinse is all I need to be suds free.
I have the same washer, I love it. I've been using it on cloth diapers for about 9 months now and it has never let me down. It's also a great machine just in general, it has massive capacity. My laundry doing days are much easier because of it.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysmomofthree View Post
I have a whirlpool duet, i've had it for 4 years, and it washes just as well now as it did when I bought it, we've had no problems never had to have a service call and its big
Oh good, i just ordered one online and that will keep me from developing buyer's remorse...
Old 08-02-2007, 06:38 PM

We just got an LG Front-loading HE washer last month. I got it specifically for the sanitary cycle to do diapers, but now I'm starting to think maybe this isn't the best washer for dipes.
After reading the owners manual, I found that if you put put liquid detergent in the "main wash" compartment it just automatically goes in the washer then, even if you're doing a prewash first. You have to use powdered detergent if you don't want it to be added until after the prewash. Problem is I can't find any powdered HE Free and Clear detergents in any stores here. I guess I have 2 questions:
1) Does anyone else have a solution they use for washing dipes with this kind of washer?
2) Any recs for powdered detergents to use on diapers in a FL/HE machine?
Old 08-02-2007, 07:02 PM

Hi there,

We just got a Whirlpool Duet last month.

It has a cold water rinsing cycle that you can run without detergent before washing hot with detergent.

I usually do the cold and detergent free rinse and spinning cycle to get everything spun out first. Then I run a normal wash with charlie's soap (powder), or a heavy duty load if there are poop diapers. Usually I add an extra rinse to that- with a push of a button.

Everything gets nice and clean without distroying my fuzzy bunz. I love my Whirlpool.

Charlie's Soap is HE washer compatible- for us it really works.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:03 PM

Oh, I also can't find powdered detergent in the stores, next one that sells charlie's is over an hour away. so i order it online, usually from the coth diaper stores (bit cheaper than directly from them)
Old 08-03-2007, 12:19 PM

The washers without the middle agitator's do a better job cleaning and do almost no damage to clothes/diapers. I was interning at Whirlpool when they were developing theirs and they were washing wedding dresses in it multiple times and they came out looking perfect, not a sequin missing It is definitely what I am getting when I get a new washer, just the money you save on clothes wear alone is well, well worth it and the way it cleans is superior to traditional washer.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

Old 08-03-2007, 08:37 PM

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!

I can't brag enough about this wonderful (but expensive) washer & dryer. It was a bit at first to figure out the whole diaper washing routine but now it works like a charm and we even have super hard water. If you want more specific info about the washer or my washing routine just pm me.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:22 PM

I washed dipes for 6 year in a front-loader. Just the base model Fridgidair that was the first one widely available in the US.

NO problems:

I generally did a hot presoak with soap (the machine fills, tosses the stuff, and then sits. Then started it on a heavy soil load with extra rinse. When that was done I ran an extra short wash cycle with no soap and a high-speed spinout. My dipes came out great, and they all lasted 6 years and I"m still using the prefolds as cleaning cloths.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

User Tag List