flour sack towels as flats? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-18-2007, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have been reading older posts on here from Mama's who use flour sack towels as flat diapers.
I am wondering if they are as absorbent as birdseye, or more, since they're kitchen towels. How many do you generally have to use with a toddler? One, with another folded up inside? Could I use one and place a microterry towel trifolded between the dipe and the cover (or is that still too close to baby's skin?
I feel that they may be the best thing for me to get since the 27" x 27" size of a basic flat may be too small for my 33 pound 2 year old DD, and the larger ones I've seen are still only suggested up to 31 pounds.

Can anyone help me with this?

Desperate for assistance; I've spoken of nothing else but cloth diapers to DH for a few weeks now!

Michelle
#2 of 5 Old 07-18-2007, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use flour sack cloth in place of paper towels in my kitchen. They work fine for little dribbles but for anything big I use my dish towels. The flour sack cloth is just not that absorbant imo. And you would probably have to use several layers to make it work. But your idea of laying in some kind of soaker sounds good.

Have you tried a flat yet? I use pfs, but I've found that the weight ranges don't necessarily apply. My ds has a tiny little bum, so we can still use the premium size, even though by weight he should be in toddlers.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#3 of 5 Old 07-21-2007, 02:48 PM

I would suggest it with aan insert or try using a flannel receiving blanket

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#4 of 5 Old 07-21-2007, 03:06 PM

I used the origami fold with my flour sack flats and folded up a microfiber towel in the soaker section and it worked great for my then 1 year old. I didn't have a dryer and they dried in a quarter of the time it would take prefolds and they were fun to tie-dye. If you get true flour sacking, it is very absorbant - but it's also very hard to find. I used the flour sack towels at Walmart and while they were basically hemmed muslin squares they still worked well with the microfiber towel. For something even more absorbant, you can use linen towels/squares (acts very much like hemp) which should be fairly easy to find as well. For a two year-old I would use at least one microfiber towel if not two in the soaker section. HTH.
#5 of 5 Old 07-21-2007, 05:14 PM

I agree with the PP who recommended using a flannel receiving blanket...I think they'll be more absorbent than sack towels. But you should be fine putting a MF towel between the diaper and cover--I do that and have never had any problems. It's plenty of layers.

If you can sew (and I mean just a basic hem around something, nothing fancy) you might consider buying birdseye pique from OSDS...it's a 36" width, so you could buy a few yards of it and cut it in 36"x36" squares. That should be plenty big enough, even for a toddler. It's not expensive, either: http://www.diapershop.com/index.php/...d/17/subid/22/
only $3.00 a yard, with discounts for more than 10 yards.

But if you already have a bunch of sack towels, no harm in giving it a try!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page