i wondered how those worked.
Thanks i just bought 2 to try myself.

#32 of 44 Old 07-07-2003, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Mizelenius
Here's the link to Heather's article that I was referring to: The Diaper Drama: Dryness and Rashes
good article; thanks for sharing the link. I am also not overly concerned with super absorbency during they day. Nighttime diapering is what has me befuddled. Since Ty sleeps through the night, I really need something that can absorb a lot! I had been using a pocket diaper stuffed with 2 hemp soakers and a doubler; that worked really well, but since he's started with this rash, I can't use that anymore. I think I've determined that he's got sensitivities in several areas - need more breathability than the PUL provides, need to avoid detergent buildup at all costs, and need to limit fleece. So, what to do to provide enough absorbency at night and keep him feeling dry? With these inserts, I keep coming back to the concern that the lanolized wool will force too much liquid back up to the soaker and keep his skin feeling too wet. Of course, I guess the only way to find out for sure is to try them. Maybe I should just do that instead of rambling on and on, huh? :
#33 of 44 Old 07-07-2003, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by lkblair
With these inserts, I keep coming back to the concern that the lanolized wool will force too much liquid back up to the soaker and keep his skin feeling too wet. Of course, I guess the only way to find out for sure is to try them. Maybe I should just do that instead of rambling on and on, huh? :
From my experience, I don't believe this is what will happen. What I believe happens is that the wool forces the inner core of the soaker fibers to absorb the liquid, rather than just the surface of the soaker fibers. It is astonishing, the way that a soaker feels after you take it off babe when one of these wool liners is underneath. You *know* that it is very wet, but it is not sopping wet (that's surface fiber wetness, I believe), it almost feels dry to the touch. The moisture is deeper than just the surface, and that's why I believe that babe will feel dryer in these.

Karla
#34 of 44 Old 07-07-2003, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What the heck! For $6 I'll chance it, and ordered 2 to try out. I'll try anything once....
#35 of 44 Old 07-10-2003, 11:19 AM

Location: Hot and Humid, Home of the Field Artilery, Ft. Sill, Oklahoma
I got great customer service and fast shipping when I ordered two of these wool liners. No complaints here.

But they just didn't work for me?: Maybe I didn't use them right: I had a hemp fleece liner on the top, then the wool liner inside a flannel fitted. I have used the hemp fleece, fitted combo before and never had any problems but within half an hour to an hour the fitted was very damp.

Am I doing something wrong or is it because of the lanolin in the wool?

Anyone else try theirs yet?

Like I said though the customer service and craftsmanship of the product was great!

Tawnya
#36 of 44 Old 07-10-2003, 12:30 PM

Is this the kind of thing you want to use only if most of your absorbent layers are in your doubler rather than sewn into the fitted? Because the wool wouldn't allow the urine to get to the internal soaker, right? So I'm thinking this would work well with something like LizsCloth or Sugarpeas where the primary source of absorption is the snap in doubler. But it wouldn't work with something like an SOS where most of your absorbency is internal.

What do those that have tried them think? (Yes, I'm still debating getting some)
#37 of 44 Old 07-11-2003, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lkblair
Is this the kind of thing you want to use only if most of your absorbent layers are in your doubler rather than sewn into the fitted? Because the wool wouldn't allow the urine to get to the internal soaker, right?
This is what I'm thinking . . .I got mine today and tried it out. I used it like this: fleece topped hemp doubler, wool liner, then CPF. The wool liner made the hemp doubler work VERY hard. It was wet all over, not in just a spot or two. The thing is, this is the doubler that's closest to DD, so do I really want it this wet? Maybe it should go under the whole diaper, sort of like an extra layer for the cover? Hmm.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#38 of 44 Old 07-11-2003, 12:27 AM

Location: Hot and Humid, Home of the Field Artilery, Ft. Sill, Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally posted by Mizelenius
This is what I'm thinking . . .I got mine today and tried it out. I used it like this: fleece topped hemp doubler, wool liner, then CPF. The wool liner made the hemp doubler work VERY hard. It was wet all over, not in just a spot or two. The thing is, this is the doubler that's closest to DD, so do I really want it this wet? Maybe it should go under the whole diaper, sort of like an extra layer for the cover? Hmm.

That's what it did to mine, make the doubler really wet.

What type of cover are you thinking of using it in? That is an idea....maybe I'll try that once I wash the wool liner. I use bummis wraps on occasion.

Tawnya
#39 of 44 Old 07-11-2003, 12:36 AM

Elena, did the cpf get wet?

I'm thinking these may be useful round the house in summer to avoid using a cover (too hot), but provide a bit of protection. Yeah, I think that may work with something like a sugar peas fitted, it would be nice and cool I imagine.
#40 of 44 Old 07-11-2003, 08:59 AM

Quote:
What type of cover are you thinking of using it in?
As we speak I'm experimenting again . . .I have it under the diaper in a wool cover.

Quote:
Elena, did the cpf get wet?
Hmm. . . .I don't think so!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#41 of 44 Old 07-12-2003, 02:49 PM

So, do you think this would work using peices of, say wool jersey, serged into the shape of a doubler? I always have tons of nice sized scraps when I'm through making covers and besides applique, I really don't have anything to do with them.
#42 of 44 Old 03-30-2004, 12:58 PM

well, I just not ordered 2 before they all got snatched up. Things like that have a tendancy to go pretty fast around here
#43 of 44 Old 03-30-2004, 02:29 PM

I haven't read the links.

I have a wool liner that is NOT lanolized. I use it under a doubler at night. I LOVE it because wool does absorb a lot of liquid without feeling sopping wet.

I will have to read to see how it works if the wool is lanolized. Like others mentioned, I can sort of see this with the type of diaper that has the bulk of absorbency closer to the inner part of the diaper -- like a snap-in type soaker.

I would prefer to have wool to soak up wetness -- don't care if I can re-use the outer part of the diaper again.

I only have one wool liner and I really love it except that it has shrunk quite a bit. It was a freebie from a WAHM. I did read someone else uses wool liners (not lanolized) that do not shrink.
#44 of 44 Old 03-30-2004, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mthomas
well, I just not ordered 2 before they all got snatched up. Things like that have a tendancy to go pretty fast around here
Whoa --check out the original date on my post. Good thing you got there quickly

Karla

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page