Looking for Cloth Diapering Service - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-25-2007, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I am looking for a diapering service in the Chicago suburbs, Illinois -- organic cloth if possible; trying to be as green as possible. Could you please post the the names and location of such services and/or their web site.

Anyone who is providing such service in Chicagoland, feel free to PM me due to posting restrictions.

Thank you.
#2 of 8 Old 07-25-2007, 04:18 PM

these are the only ones I see in Ill:
Illinois

Bottoms Up Diaper Service
201 N. Green Bay Road
Waukegan, Illinois 60085-4410
847-336-0040
Visit our Web site: www.bottomsupdiapers.com

Babyland Diaper Service
Post Office Box 957
St Joseph, Illinois 61873-0957
217-469-8066

Single mom of 2 boys
#3 of 8 Old 07-25-2007, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Benji's Mom.

I also dug up this one, but it's no longer in business or it was the wrong phone number. Just in case someone else looks this thread up

COTTON TAIL DIAPER SERVICE
(815) 727-8414
625 Western Avenue
Joliet, IL 60435

BABYLAND DIAPER SERVICE is actually in Central Illinois and would be great if one lives near Champaign Urbana and keeps in mind the transportation impact.

Still searching to see if I'll have a choice or not. Thanks.
#4 of 8 Old 07-25-2007, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

I'm looking around and have found the next nearest one in Wisconsin.

Mother Nature's Diaper Service
931 E. Main Street
Madison, Wisconsin 53703
608-251-BABY
http://www.mothernaturesdiapers.com

If those three are it, I may have to get some estimate from all three to get started.
#5 of 8 Old 07-25-2007, 05:47 PM

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you want to use a diaper service rather than just buying and washing your own dipes? It seems, in the long run that it would be cheaper to create your own stash. And, I may be wrong, but it also seems that it would be more environmentally friendly to wash at home rather than the industrial washing that diaper services do.
#6 of 8 Old 07-25-2007, 09:48 PM

Industrial washing IS less environmentally friendly than washing at home because some diaper services wash up to 15 times, then they use bleach and other things that aren't necessary when you are washing at home. Then you have to figure the environmental impact of the fuel used to deliver and pick up the diapers to your home.
Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by twopinknoblue View Post
Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you want to use a diaper service rather than just buying and washing your own dipes? It seems, in the long run that it would be cheaper to create your own stash. And, I may be wrong, but it also seems that it would be more environmentally friendly to wash at home rather than the industrial washing that diaper services do.
#7 of 8 Old 07-27-2007, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

The cost of doing it myself and having the service wash is comparable in my case; I'm hiring as local as possible and give preference treatment to small businesses. I am currently waiting to find out what is used to wash the diapers to see if I can live with it. In the end, I would rather use my time doing other things than washing and folding diapers; it's a call I have to make.

I also have an old washer and well water and will be moving to a new house after the baby is born where perhaps, with the better washer but still well water, I can swap and do it myself should I have that option. Meanwhile, the service would make the transition easier; otherwise, it may come down to disposables.

In my looking around, I have read varying comments about washing at home and industrial washing; unfortunately, I didn't keep the links. Some say one is better environmentally and others vice versa. Not sure who to believe at this point. I'm going to give the service a chance to tell me about their operation and make a decision.

Thank you for your comments.
#8 of 8 Old 07-28-2007, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Me again Talking to myself I guess LOL Just in case someone else ever looks for a diaper service in my area, I keep updating.

Anyway, I found out that Mother Nature's Diaper Service in WI doesn't deliver to Illinois. So I guess that leaves me with Bottoms Up Diaper Service in Waukegan.

I'll update again when I find out their practices.

Have a nice weekend.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page