do you change wet diapers at night? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 07-29-2007, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used cloth diapers with Abigail the first three months and she was a super nighttime soaker. I had to change her at least 3 times the first month and then I tapered off to once a night. After the first three month, when she outgrew the diapers, I switched to disposable and found her so much less fussy about being wet at night. She finally slept well (she still woke to nurse, though).

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#32 of 53 Old 07-29-2007, 08:58 PM

I would like to add a caveat to my response.

My kid has always let me know from birth if she was wet - like an alarm bell.

The pee would be warm and she'd be screaming or she would be in my arms (even as a newborn) and I'd just know.

I just never could stomach letting her cry for that kind of issue. At 18 months she also initiated potty learning, so maybe she's just REALLY that sensitive.

We tried the whole thing with fleece and such - didn't cut it - she simply didn't want to be in a wet diaper. She was allergic to sposies so that was out.

Yes we pulled over as soon as she cried in the car. Yes I would step out of line to change her. Yes I'm a spaz.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#33 of 53 Old 07-29-2007, 09:03 PM

I only change my ds at night if he wakes up. We never have a problem. I do put cornstarch on him at night. It seems to prevent rashes. I use a cricketts hemp fitted with a HH stuffin and wool cover. I change him every time he wets during the day when at home. I don't us a cover at home and no more then 2hr when out.

Jennifer, SAHM to my little man 5 1/2 and my VBAC sweetie pie girls 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 6mos. 

#34 of 53 Old 07-29-2007, 09:25 PM

We change him each time he wakes at night before he nurses. I have found that he nurses better if I take a couple of minutes to change him (and the bathroom is on the way so I usually have to go anyway ). We have left him in a wet diaper for about 7 or 8 hours if he doesn't wake up. You have to love wool soakers!

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#35 of 53 Old 07-29-2007, 11:10 PM

Definitely changed the diapers while dd was still pooping at night. Now I don't unless she's been up and nursing more than usual and I think she's going to leek.

BTW I use a triple stuffed BG at night. My other pocket dipes all seem to leek before the three inserts are soaked.
#36 of 53 Old 07-30-2007, 12:28 AM

if i know dd is wet I ALWAYS change her. i wouldn't want to sleep in wet panties so i can't justify letting her sleep in a wet diaper.

::
#37 of 53 Old 07-30-2007, 11:25 AM

I think that's the key. If I knew he were wet, I would change my ds. But during the night while we were sleeping did I know? Nah. We were all asleep, and ds never cared when he wet or dirtied himself. He still doesn't What he hated was changing diapers. Depends on the family, children again as usual

With her we'll have to see. If she wakes me up because she's wet, I'm not going to let her cry and fall back asleep. I would change her. However, if she were fine and I was asleep too, I wouldn't know she was wet, YK? Then I would change her promptly after I wake up.

If I happen to notice during night-nursing that she's obviously wet, then by all means I'll change her. Depends on her personality, though. Especially since I'll be using cloth, which are going to be less absorbent than my old Seventh Generation disposables with ds.

It's as simple as that
#38 of 53 Old 07-30-2007, 12:47 PM

Great posts!

Of course, I have the same to add...

I guess my mom ALWAYS changed us at night so I did that with my first and guess what I taught her? That night time sleeping involves waking up several times. GRRR. Mama was a wreck by 9 mo or so! I finally wised up and put a doubler in her diaper (we always used prefolds and prowraps with a hemp doubler).

With #2 I changed him at night when he was little when he pooped. I am getting so much more rest at night when my only nightwaking involves nursing; versus changing diapers and nursing.

My mom says the boy smells like pee in the morning and he does but I'm rested! :

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#39 of 53 Old 07-30-2007, 05:46 PM

When my 6 mo. old wakes up to eat (once or twice a night....sigh), I change him. When he used to sleep thru the night (what a glorious month!) I most certainly did NOT wake him up.

Mom's who religiously change thru the night: do you set an alarm for every X hours? Seriously, no snark intended. I mean, if your child is not waking you up, then how do you wake yourself up for this?

The way I see, my son is an intelligent individual. I truly believe that if a wet or dirty diaper was causing him discomfort, he would wake up and let me know. Otherwise, I assume that sleep is more important.

If I was sleeping soundly, but had wet the bed, yes, I would be very angry if you woke me up (assuming I am sleeping alone, here!). I think I'd probably change the sheets better after a good night's sleep, anyway. Mildly disgusting, yes, but in the long run, I think disrupted sleep is more detrimental to me (and my child) than sleeping in urine.

Also: I'm not understanding the diaper vs. toilet argument. To me, the diaper IS a portable toilet. The toilet catches the waste. It is flushed/changed as soon I know about it. I know of no one who allows waste to sit in their toilet, unflushed, for any length of time. Thus, this argument puzzles me.
#40 of 53 Old 08-01-2007, 06:46 PM

I don't LIKE not changing them at night. I'd rather they were changed as soon as they got wet. Of course I would. But seriously, how in the heck am I supposed to find the time during the night to nurse two kids, change three sets of diapers, AND actually get enough sleep to avoid going over the edge?

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#41 of 53 Old 08-01-2007, 08:07 PM

With our newborn, we change her right when she wakes up to eat. By changing her then, she goes back to sleep when she is finished eating. With my son, we changed him in the middle of feedings (never side nursed in bed with him) until he started sleeping through the night. We used a stay dry liner with a super soaking fitted and wool so we didn't change at all at night. I agree that good sleep is the most important thing for us. I guess it is all about what you feel comfortable doing. We have a "don't wake a sleeping dragon...I mean baby" rule in our house. I would never wake a baby at night just for a diaper change. Now, I have woken a baby to avoid pumping...once, but that was a different story.
#42 of 53 Old 08-02-2007, 01:42 AM

I find myself chuckling a little bit here b/c this is the second time I've seen a thread like this in the Diapering forum. I guess some issues never seem to go away!

Even though I've read through this one and have fuzzy memory of the other one...I'm still not clear how it works on those who change diapers everytime they're wet at night. Both ds and I are dead to the world once we are asleep. I know that he wets his diaper during the night b/c it's wet when we get up in the am, but what I don't know is when it happened.

How is it that one, while in dead sleep, is supposed to be aware of the wet diaper enough to change it? Not being snarky or rude...just genuinely wondering how this works for those who accomplish it.
#43 of 53 Old 08-02-2007, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampered_mom View Post
How is it that one, while in dead sleep, is supposed to be aware of the wet diaper enough to change it? Not being snarky or rude...just genuinely wondering how this works for those who accomplish it.

It's hard to be dead asleep with a screaming newborn lying next to you.

During her first three months, A would wake up every time she went, pee or poop, all through the night.
She'd scream and put up quite the fuss until she was clean and dry.
Of course now, and for quite a long time now, she doesn't cry over a wet diaper.
Usually she's still dry when she wakes up, but sometimes she has a wet diaper and she sleeps right through it now
And so do I.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#44 of 53 Old 08-02-2007, 02:06 AM

DS usually wakes me up wiggling in the night when he needs to go pee, so I hold him over the potty and he pees. Then we either nurse or go right back to sleep. If it takes me too long to get up, then I change him. If left in a wet CD, he will squirm and wiggle until he gets changed. This has been a pretty comfortable routine for us for about 2 months now. He does not tolerate happily a wet CD awake or asleep.
#45 of 53 Old 08-02-2007, 02:47 AM

My 5 mo old DS doesn't sleep very well with a wet diaper, so our compromise is to set up a few diapers and the diaper pail by the bed and I can get him changed when he starts to squirm without him or I waking up completely. That way I don't have to move him at all. It helps both of us get enough sleep. I don't even need to turn on the light anymore, the nightlight is enough even with old fashioned pins!
#46 of 53 Old 08-03-2007, 01:48 AM

We're still waking up every 2-4 hours to nurse. I change him at least once at night and more if he is awake. Otherwise, his skin tends to get irritated.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#47 of 53 Old 08-03-2007, 01:52 AM

I have 2 kids in diapers. My son is 2 1/2 and doesn't wet until morning, so I don't change him at night. He'd be dry.

My daughter is 10 1/2 months old, and I nurse her when I go to bed, and my husband changes her while I nurse her. Then, he wakes up earlier than I do, so he changes her at 6am or so.
#48 of 53 Old 08-03-2007, 05:25 AM

Not that it matters much with a newborn, but as your DC gets older, if you leave him or her in a wet diaper during the night does it make it harder to potty train?
#49 of 53 Old 08-03-2007, 10:25 AM

I used to change after each feeding (day and night) sometimes half way through a feeding to wake her up when she was a newborn.

Now she wakes, has a quick snack and is back asleep, so rarely gets changed. I've switched to mostly pockets or fleece lined fitteds to keep her bum dry if she is in it all night.

Now she has never complained about a wet diaper and often not even a dirty one, though when we're up I aim to change her as soon as I know.
#50 of 53 Old 08-03-2007, 10:34 AM

If I'm going to bed and can tell his diaper is wet, then I'll change it if I think I can do it without waking him. I do not get up in the middle of the night to change it. I did when he was a newborn, though.

Mom to DS March '05 and : DD Feb. '08
#51 of 53 Old 08-03-2007, 02:38 PM

DD cries every time she's dirty. Except at night. We both sleep very soundly all night long. If I could wake up every two hours to change her I probably would. I hate the idea of her being wet. But then we would probably be a grumpy couple during the day. I too am wondering how do moms wake up during the night to change dcs?

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#52 of 53 Old 08-03-2007, 09:51 PM

I honestly never change my little one's at night unless they wake up and demand to be changed. : Works for us. We put them down dry and change first thing in the AM. I like my sleep and so do my babies.

Mama to two sweet boys and a baby girl.  
#53 of 53 Old 08-04-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyml View Post
If both I and the baby are awake and I become aware that the diaper is full, yes. Otherwise no.
NAK. Ditto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page