do you change wet diapers at night? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 07-28-2007, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was over on the nightime parenting forum and discovered a thread about nightime diaper changes and nearly everyone who responded (mainly CDers) said they do not change wet diapers at night. Many have older babes who are only waking up once or so at night, or not at all. I'm using fitteds and prefolds at night, so that seems like a long time for my baby to be wet. Wondering if this is the norm for most? I always assumed that CDers would be more likely to change wet diapers as frequently as possible.

Right now I have a 3 week old, and he often does not pee until after night nursing, so unless I wake up between feeds he'll be in a wet diaper for up to two hours. I'm not thrilled about that, but the alternative is to wake myself up between his feeds to change him and right now that's not going to happen.
#2 of 53 Old 07-28-2007, 09:31 PM

I have always changed my child as soon as I realized she was wet or as soon as she told me she was wet. I've never intentionally left her in a wet diaper.
We've CD'd since she grew into preemie size CD's - which took until she was 2weeks old.

I always considered, and yes this is my spastic opinion, that leaving a kid in a dirty dipe was the equivalent of using the diaper as a toliet rather than a diaper (which I think personally should be changed ASAP).

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#3 of 53 Old 07-28-2007, 09:32 PM

No it wakes the baby up.

Unless of course there is poop then it changed as soon as I know it.
#4 of 53 Old 07-28-2007, 09:34 PM

When mine was still nursing and waking anyways yes.. When she was messy or woke and fussed yes other times no, plus is she was asleep we were asleep so no one was aware anyways. :

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#5 of 53 Old 07-28-2007, 09:37 PM

Nope - I change her before we go to bed (around 11), and put her in a super-stuffed pocket with a wool covering. If I wake her up for a diaper change, she wakes up more, and so do I.
#6 of 53 Old 07-28-2007, 09:40 PM

First baby. Prefolds. Under three months old. Therefore, yes. Talk to me again, however, if it ever gets to being something like a fifth kid sleeping through the night and wearing fancy wicking AOIs or something.

I can't imagine intentionally leaving my son wet either, but I know that as he learns to sleep longer a part of that is learning to sleep through being wet, and if he doesn't wake me, well ... I'm hardly going to start setting alarms to make sure I'm up to check when he's not waking me for that himself. My basic policy is that when he wakes or I wake on my own, I check. And otherwise don't worry about it.
#7 of 53 Old 07-28-2007, 10:08 PM

If both I and the baby are awake and I become aware that the diaper is full, yes. Otherwise no.

When my babies were newborns and I was just plain sleeping less at night, then we changed diapers at night more. But with an older baby who wakes only once or twice and nurses back to sleep without my actually getting out of bed, nighttime diaper changes were rare.

I really don't see that it's a big deal for a baby to spend a couple hours in a wet diaper if he's not uncomfortable enough to wake me up to do something about it.

Holly
#8 of 53 Old 07-28-2007, 10:38 PM

I use prefolds during the day and change her every time she is wet, which is very often during the day. At night, I put her in a BumGenius around 11pm and she makes it just fine until morning. If she has a poopy diaper I'll change it, but that rarely happens. She's lying next to me and I just nurse her right back to sleep when she starts to wake up. Changing her wakes her up and she cries.

ds (6), dd (2.5) and arriving this spring!
#9 of 53 Old 07-28-2007, 10:55 PM

nak

heck no. I have three kids in dipes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I only change at night if they poop, or if I become convinced that being wet is causing wakefulness. If I had to change at night, I'd NEVER sleep. Nah,we double or even triple diaper, use fleece liners and wool, and go 10 to 12 hours w/o a problem.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#10 of 53 Old 07-28-2007, 10:58 PM

If he's asleep, I don't change him, wet or not.
#11 of 53 Old 07-28-2007, 10:59 PM

nope. almost a ditto of Llyra! (just with 2 kids)
#12 of 53 Old 07-28-2007, 11:25 PM

My DD is almost 2 yrs old. If she drinks more than 8oz or so at bed time, I will change her before midnight once. Otherwise, I do not. I also do not use fitteds or prefolds or anything without a wicking inner layer for bed time. We use a pocket super stuffed with 2 or 3 inserts, or a toddler PF or 2 infant PFs. My DD has no problem waking up if she is wet (we are potty training starting Monday because she is so adept at letting us know when she is wet!) so I am not worried about her sitting in something she shouldn't because if she was uncomfortable, I would know about it.
#13 of 53 Old 07-28-2007, 11:56 PM

I change her right around the time we go to bed, and that's it til AM. She doesn't poop in her sleep, and if we were both awake, I'd change her...but I'm not about to wake her up to do it. If she's sleeping, it's not bothering her. Her diaper is so stuffed anyway. heh.
#14 of 53 Old 07-29-2007, 12:00 AM

i'm not a very good mommy without sleep so no
#15 of 53 Old 07-29-2007, 12:04 AM

When they were smaller, yes...but I finally caved (and got those fancy non-wicking night-time AIOs) and so don't change overnight....

For those curious minds, we use Luke's Drawers Goodnight Kisses for overnight.
#16 of 53 Old 07-29-2007, 12:49 AM

I stopped changing at night when my daughter stopped pooping at night (like 6-8 wks?). I use a microfleece topped doubler so she doesn't get skin irritation and we haven't had any rash problems (except for the occasional rash from teething poo, but there's no avoiding that).
#17 of 53 Old 07-29-2007, 12:54 AM

I have also always changed diapers at night. I personally think it's gross, plus my DS has pooped almost every time I change him.
#18 of 53 Old 07-29-2007, 01:05 AM

Not unless there is poop, and dd stopped pooping at night when she was very young (under a year old) so otherwise, NO. Changing her would wake her, whereas being n a wet diaper would not (i always used pockets with a "stay dry" inner layer, so perhaps that had something to do with it. )

Let me see....screaming, FURIOUS baby because I have woken her to change her, or happy, sleeping baby in a wet dipey....hhhmmm..... tough one...NOT!!

CPST
#19 of 53 Old 07-29-2007, 02:01 AM

If you have to wake them up out of a sound sleep to change them, then that is going to trump the "never leave them in a wet diaper" argument. If someone woke me up out of a sound sleep every night, more than once, I'd be quite grumpy in the morning, even if the person meant well.
If the baby is awake, by all means you change the wet diaper.
If your child doesn't fully wake at night, and your diapering system leaves them clammy wet by the wee hours, then you need a better nighttime diapering system. If you've got enough absorbancy, the wetness should be mostly in the diaper, and the surface shouldn't be very soggy.
#20 of 53 Old 07-29-2007, 02:06 AM

nope, I stopped changing at night when baby stopped pooping at night. If it is not leaking, I'm not going to bother with it until morning because if I get up to change a diaper, it takes me quite awhile to fall back asleep - thus making for one cranky mama the next day
#21 of 53 Old 07-29-2007, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesa143 View Post
I have also always changed diapers at night. I personally think it's gross, plus my DS has pooped almost every time I change him.
Id deffiently changed all poopy nighttime diapers. There were also times when I happened to check and she happened to be really wet than yes.. However ussually we we simpily asleep noone awoke.
SO those that do change at night and aren't still dealing with nighttime wakings and nighttime poo how exactly dos nighttime changing work?

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#22 of 53 Old 07-29-2007, 12:18 PM

DS is almost 10 mos. I change him at night if I notice he is wet, but most of the time I just potty him when he nuzzles to nurse at 3-4am and then he will stay dry until morning.

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
#23 of 53 Old 07-29-2007, 01:11 PM

I think that decision to change a diaper at nighttime depends on the situation, when DS was younger and waking up to feed at night (he practically sleeps through the whole night now) I did, but not always . . . you just feel out the situation. (If you know it super wet and they are in a deep sleep you might change them while sleeping, if they are clearly fussing because they are wet then you change it, etc) He wears thicker diapers at night time and I change him right before bed and right after getting up. If he was to wake up and poop, well then I would change it for sure, but since he is older now 13 months I don't usually, just depends on the situation. Sometimes I might check to see if he is wet when I go to bed, if he is then I'll change him while sleeping and if he isn't then I change him in the morning.
#24 of 53 Old 07-29-2007, 01:59 PM

I did when DS was waking up every few hours. Once he started to sleep longer stretches I didn't. Maybe around 6 months. It wakes him more to change it now than to leave it. Sometimes he wakes up because he is wet. If that is the case, then of course I change him.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#25 of 53 Old 07-29-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octobermom View Post
SO those that do change at night and aren't still dealing with nighttime wakings and nighttime poo how exactly dos nighttime changing work?
You just change them! They may wake, they may not. Not changing diapers promptly, dirty OR wet, is gross.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#26 of 53 Old 07-29-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshundqueen View Post
leaving a kid in a dirty dipe was the equivalent of using the diaper as a toliet rather than a diaper (which I think personally should be changed ASAP)

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#27 of 53 Old 07-29-2007, 02:34 PM

Like the majority of posters (so far) stated: not really/depends.

If dd woke up and was upset and wet or had a bm - then yes.

If she just wanted to nurse/cuddle - no.

This child would become hysterical at diaper changing. We just super fluffed her butt at night (around eleven pm or so) and let her go till morning.

Everyone was happier this way.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#28 of 53 Old 07-29-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
You just change them! They may wake, they may not. Not changing diapers promptly, dirty OR wet, is gross.
Why are you yelling??
Ummm and I ask again if YOU are asleep uncountious to the world and your child/children are asleep and DH asleep and no ones aware then how does this work??? Sorry I'm not trying to be rude or mean. I'm spent 4.7 years changing diapers and will again witn another child for however long. We always changed when wet I rarely used a cover to ensure prompt changing. However there came a time when she'd go to sleep and I'd go to sleep and for 8-10+ hours we'd all sleep. SO what does changing at night mean. : It was an innocent question I just really wondered what always changing even when EVERYONE was sleeping really meant? : Are you saying you like set an alarm so you can check every 15 mintues or something???

#29 of 53 Old 07-29-2007, 07:50 PM

if you change at night, do you pull over every 20 mintues on longish car trips too? or do you just put them in something like a fuzzibun or disposable to make them more comfortable until you can pull over. i guess i feel like that is what diapers are for. if you change and signal all day long, but it is impractical during your only stretch of deep sleep, in the car, in the middle of the church sermon, or during a papsmear, i think it is okay for them to wait a bit especially if they are not uncomfortable. i admire those who are able to change every pee at night and feel so strongly about it though. i have no help at night with two small children, so for our family, changing at night would be a hardship on my already overwhelmed self.

of course if they wanted me to change (he knows how to ask by saying "diaper"), or if they were poopy, i would.

not too long ago my 3yo wore a fuzzibun at night that he peed in one time. he slept through the night and i did not wake him up. we had a short stint of taking him to the bathroom in the middle of night which made us miserable, so we waited til he could hold it all night to go to underwear.
#30 of 53 Old 07-29-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
if you change at night, do you pull over every 20 mintues on longish car trips too? or do you just put them in something like a fuzzibun or disposable to make them more comfortable until you can pull over.
We used sposies for both nighttime and long trips. my DD was very skin sensitive and prone to rashes she also had some seriouus processing delays making her ability to signal (and thus EC) VERY difficult so I did the best I could I provided 100% good thick quality CDS and changed very often. during the day and almost all the time we went coverless. We changed asap. Diapers were never used as portable potties. However as she was sooo prone to rashes and we had a poly allergy and she was a deep sound sleeper (as am I) we choose to use sposies at night and I use them as extra skin protection on long trips I still took ample chances to change (usually on the hour or if we sensed/smelled she was wet/messy and were in a place we could safely change her). IF we were shopping or in church ect and she was wet yes I immediently changed if though say I was in line ready to checkout and it was my turn or say about to do communion or something then if she was just wet yes we waited a few mintues.
I use cloth pads for my own mentral cycles (keepers tampoons ect give me bad infections) while I change often and keep as "fresh and clean" as possible I also don't change at night unless I happen to wake. :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page