Article on the pocket diaper patent... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 07-13-2003, 05:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dont want to totally kill this thread... I think this article was well written, even if she doesnt stand entirely ON the line, she certainly was fair to both sides. A great trying-not-to-take-sides editorial...

The only thing I have to mention other than whats said above is that Hot Pockets are made by Stouffers, which is a part of Nestle Foods. Betty Crocker, also is part of Nestle Foods... And there is none of either in my house. If I say anything more this thread will pack up and leave for activism... (Hmm... something to get us diapering mommas outta here for some fresh air, though... )

But I do have a Duncan Hines Brownie mix... Wanna share?
#32 of 48 Old 07-13-2003, 08:18 AM

Hey, thanks for the reminder about Nestle, but I just used 'Betty Crocker' b/c it is the 'kick around' term for 'home-maker' that is recognized. However, my husband has yet to find a replacement for Hot Pockets, boy does he like those things.

Uggh - Nestle.

And thanks for not veering too much and yet, giving that gentle reminder!
#33 of 48 Old 07-13-2003, 10:09 AM

I find the article odd and disturbing (generalizations and characterizations). But maybe it will draw some interest to cloth diapers - and that would be a good thing.

Better go to activism and find out what's wrong with nestle.
#34 of 48 Old 07-13-2003, 10:15 AM

One more thing The comment about it being ludicrous to patent a diaper. A diaper is a product - design patents do just that. You can patent a carton design (say a new style cereal box)- heck you can even patent a spoon with nine holes in it - if you are the first and can prove no prior art and prove that it is unique from other like items.

Sex positions are entirely different - they are not a product, although very functional LOL.
#35 of 48 Old 07-13-2003, 01:18 PM

Wow. Your comments on what has been called a "gross generalization" and "stereotype" of the cloth diapering mother really deserve a response and an apology. I honestly didn't mean to offend anyone by exaggerating the charms of CDing mamas. As a writer, I find this type of feedback invaluable. I intend to revise the document and replace the phrase "the majority of the women" with something less inclusive. If the article is ever reprinted elsewhere, you'll see the change.

I must say, your response surprised me. I've received a lot of mail regarding this column and no one else mentioned this issue. I did have several people complain about my use of the "b" word, something none of you here at MDC commented on. I guess that just goes to show we truly are a diverse community.

The diversity of the online CD community is something I really cherish and admire. We come from many different backgrounds and live a variety of lifestyles. The coexistence of so many diverse religious beliefs is something I find especially admirable. Religion has the potential to really divide people, but I've never seen that in the cloth diapering community. I think it's awesome! Maybe I'll write a column about diversity among natural families.

Thanks again for all your comments and for reading my column.

Bridgett
#36 of 48 Old 07-13-2003, 01:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Bridgett
I did have several people complain about my use of the "b" word, something none of you here at MDC commented on.
Speaking for myself, I can't complain about that word because it suits me so well. :

Actually, it's not me that's the b*, it's my evil twin sister/split personality. She gets out every once in a while, but I manage to keep her in check.
#37 of 48 Old 07-13-2003, 02:36 PM

I wasn't offended in the least about the major exaggerations and generalizations about the charm of us mommas... In fact, I'd probably be a happier person if it was me.
The only thing that I dont like about them is that it makes cloth diapering mommas seem like just so many more Martha Stewarts, which I have to say I doubt many of us are.
I dont have a perfect family, dont cook unless it comes from a box (my DH cooks), dont make vegan cookies, and probably wouldnt want to eat them if I could ... We are old fashioned meat eaters, with an SUV and a dying lawn. We are average people, who made a decision to do something a little out of the norm.

Making us look too good makes other moms think that CDs happen only in the best of circumstances. To me its kinda like most portrayals of breastfeeding in the media, with the mom in a nightgown and baby naked, both like they dont have a care in the world... The "real" nursing mom is sitting in a parking lot nursing her baby cause the grocery store doesn't have a place to sit, and they have two more stops to make, but you'd never know they left the house by the way the media portrays it. Its turned into an unattainable ideal, one that "normal" people don't bother to try, cause they dont feel like Martha Stewarts... KWIM? Maybe its just me. I dont mind saying Im not perfect... And Id rather wash dipes than dust.
#38 of 48 Old 07-13-2003, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Modesto Doula
To me its kinda like most portrayals of breastfeeding in the media, with the mom in a nightgown and baby naked, both like they dont have a care in the world... The "real" nursing mom is sitting in a parking lot nursing her baby cause the grocery store doesn't have a place to sit, and they have two more stops to make, but you'd never know they left the house by the way the media portrays it. Its turned into an unattainable ideal, one that "normal" people don't bother to try, cause they dont feel like Martha Stewarts... KWIM? Maybe its just me. I dont mind saying Im not perfect... And Id rather wash dipes than dust.
#39 of 48 Old 07-13-2003, 02:49 PM

About patenting products -- I took a college patent law class (oh, now there's a class you need toothpicks to hold your eyes open for! :LOL) and did you know that Harley Davidson patented the SOUND of the Harley? You can patent about ANYTHING if you can prove you invented it and it's unique to your product.

I guess I'll refrain from posting my opinion on patenting fuzzy bunz and just say....I wish people could be business people without feeling the need to back-stab.
#40 of 48 Old 07-13-2003, 03:02 PM

The problem I had with the generalization is that it made it seem like cloth diapering was something an average mom could never do- you'd have to be vegan and have four perfect kids. That's not true. Cloth diapering moms are diverse.

In the last generation everyone used cloth and they were diverse- remember your friends' moms? I don't remember any Martha Stewart perfect moms. What cloth have to do with that? That was offensive to me.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#41 of 48 Old 07-13-2003, 03:23 PM

The article was great, but I agree that the generalization was somewhat offensive. I try really hard to give people I meet the impression that cloth diapering (and breastfeeding) are better, and not any more inconvienient than the modern alternatives. I "flaunt" my cloth diapers and my slings and the fact I breastfeed as much as possible to communicate that any "type" of person can do it. I get upset when I am "categorized" as a "supermom" just because I do what's best for my kids, and I am SOOO not the type of mom described in the article. I've been seen sitting in my car, nursing a baby while changing a diaper, trying to keep my older kids from jumping on the backseat, in the parking lot of Wally World-more than once. I am just now getting back into cooking dinner for my family since DD was born almost 6 months ago. My floor ALWAYS has cheerios stuck to it, and there's usually a "WHAT is THAT??" smell somewhere in the house. That's my life, and I love it. So I'm just hopeful that one day "natural" parents will be portrayed as normal parents that make educated choices for their families, because I feel that is the true picture.

Wow, that's quite a I just got on...
#42 of 48 Old 07-13-2003, 03:35 PM

I didn't take offense to it - I liked the 'wit' behind the writing, but I gotta agree with you . . . SAHM, WOHM or WAHM moms have their hands full.

I wrote an article called: The Java Jive - The 'dance' for mom's morning cup of coffee.

Basically, it was my attempt to get from my bedroom to the kitchen one morning for that first cup of coffee. Took 45 minutes, literally!!! That was with just the girls - and now, with Kenny, there are mornings when I don't get any coffee if I don't get up before everyone around 5:30 ish or so!
#43 of 48 Old 07-13-2003, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I liked the article. I'm really hard to offend, even with wide generalizations. I wish I was like the author's description... I have guilt that I could always be a better fill-in-the-blank, do such-and-such better, etc.

I find cloth diapering mamas run the full gamut, just like any group of diverse people. For example, though we seem to be radical in some of our beliefs, we're quite common in others. Despite how liberal we seem to some, we tend to vote republican (or sometimes libertarian) most of the time... a contradiction to many of my crunchy, cd, vegetarian, homeschooling friends.

Wouldn't it be easy if we were all the same? Wouldn't it also be boring? I really enjoy hearing others views as different as they may be from mine. It certainly doesn't offend me that other people don't agree with the way we think or do things (but I wish I liked to cook, clean, be nice all the time, etc!! Bet DH wishes I did too! :LOL!!)
#44 of 48 Old 07-13-2003, 07:51 PM

I wasn't offended by the generalization of the "cloth diapering mommy" type....in reality I strive to be those things I was just offering another type of "mommy" who in reality is me more often than not.

I thought the article was nice, and gave people something to think about. Cloth diapering isn't often in the news or media, I do appriciate that it was put in the forefront of someone's mind, even if for just a moment.
#45 of 48 Old 07-13-2003, 09:36 PM

One thing I totally liked and agreed with about the article was the level of relationship WAHM's have with their customers and vice versa.

I am the type of person who will drive 20 miles for good service rather than go across the street where they are rude. I also like to support the "small town" business and steer clear of the Walmarts when I can.

When I am looking at a WAHM that I haven't bought from before, I ALWAYS read the info they provide about themselves. I think that is part of my decision making process -- I want to be sure I'm buying from someone nice, like me!

Anyway, I like the personal relationship I have with those that make my kids' diapers. Anyone ever talk to the MAKER of Pampers? It's really a unique relationship we have!
#46 of 48 Old 07-13-2003, 09:56 PM

I completely agree! I support WAHM's first as the customer service is usually there. I refuse to go where I am treated poorly.

I have no qualms about telling the latest phone guy that the one before him was rude and not interested in customer service (just did that 2 weeks ago in fact!)

I cannot help it! I feel like being progressive means you're actually coming back to good customer service. It's been missing for quite some time.

For example:
Just before April, IBM gave us 2 weeks to pack and move here (5 hours across state). We had a hard time finding a rental house. Most realtors said they couldn't help us once one house turned us away (no one wants renters with 3 kids, 2 dogs and at the time, 2 cats). No one could give a hoot that we needed a place.

Then Rosemary came along and submitted us all over, talked to the realtors and owners in person and found us a house on a private lake with a private beach. She worked like crazy and we got the place 2 days before we moved.

My phone guy had asked about the house and upon hearing that, told me no one needs to do more than what the first 3 realtors did. I said, he was right BUT that when we decide to buy in a year or two, who do you think we will go to?

Rosemary.

Which reminds me, I have postpartum cloth pads on one site. I had someone inquire about other sizes and needing them within 3 weeks. I didn't just send her away, I FOUND her 3 other sites (basically competition) that sells them. I haven't heard back again from her -- I only hope someday she'll remember me and send business my way.
#47 of 48 Old 07-14-2003, 02:48 AM

The only part that offended me was the idea of VEGAN brownies Brownies are just one thing that can't be properly vegan-ized! :LOL
#48 of 48 Old 07-14-2003, 10:42 AM

Ohhhh, I disagree! There is a kicking vegan maple-walnut brownie recipe in the Vegan Planet cookbook! Nothing better in the whole world!

Yooper

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page