I hate to defile my hemp prefolds BUT.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-11-2003, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...I am going to have to sew some velcro or metal snaps onto them! I cannot snappi or pin them. (Yes, for awhile, my Nighty Newts were snappi-able but now the strip on top won't catch anymore!)

Has anyone else sewn on velcro on a prefold before? What do I need to do?

I hate to defile them...but they do us no good if we can't wear them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2003, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by julieandfiona
(Yes, for awhile, my Nighty Newts were snappi-able but now the strip on top won't catch anymore!)
Are you serious???? Ahh, and this after I've ordered those and other hemp prefolds. How long did you use them before this happened?

I really need to just stick to my CPFs.

Would it ruin the diaper if you took off the strip and sewed a new one over it? I wish I had advice!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Old 07-11-2003, 01:21 AM

Are you using the Nighty Newts only at night? I find that if I just fold in thirds lenthwise and fan out in back and fold down the extra in front, its right wear I left it in the front.

I use wool at night so its not slippery. Not sure if it would stay put with PUL or nylon.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

I think I am going to try the velcro - (BTW: DH is going to give it a go - he is the cloth diaper king now...)

And yes, the NN wore out after about two months...
Old 07-11-2003, 02:12 AM

did you email Stacy at LLL? Its always nice to have a customer email you directly when there is a problem, she may have a solution to help you out with this dilema.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:23 AM

I agree- if you haven't already, I would suggest emailing Stacy. I'm sure she would be concerned and would do anything to help you figure out/correct the problem

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

Old 07-11-2003, 02:44 AM
des

I've never sewn velcro or aplix onto a prefold before, but I'd imagine it'd work... especially if you always use the same fold each time. I have seen prefolds converted into contour diapers before, though, and they turned out really great from the pictures I saw of them.

But, I have several hemp prefolds from LLL and they're still working perfectly after several months of being Snappi'ed! They're washed/worn with every wash cycle too! LOL

:
Old 07-11-2003, 02:53 AM

I added some snaps to a couple of my CPFs. They work well and I'll probably add snaps to more of them when I get the chance! (So I imagine adding velcro would work too.)

Rachel ~ homeschooling mama to six.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:04 AM

another thought on the night newts ... try a brand new snappi... I was having trouble one night getting my snappi to grip .. so I opened up a new package of snappis and gave one a try.. it worked !.. The tips of the snappis get dull after a lot of uses.. otherwise email Stacy.. She's a wonderful wahm.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:00 AM

I did it! (as Mizelenius can attest to--pretty good for my first sewing attempt and all while nursing a baby, huh?)
2 things to be careful of--make sure that you get the softest velcro you can find, i would suggest rounding the corners, and make sure you have a strong sewing needle. I think though, if i were to attempt it again, I would do snaps instead--assuming that i could somehow find a snap press.:
Old 07-11-2003, 11:16 AM

Something I did with my hemp prefolds was just sew a strip of snappi-able fabric across the top of the diaper. I used an old thin, birdseye Gerber pre-fold that I had used as a burp cloth when my DD was an infant. It works terrific, and I can now SECURELY snappi my PolarBabies and Babykicks hemp prefolds.

I keep meaning to do it on my Mom and Me ones too because I find that while I can get the snappi to catch, it doesn't stay.

New WOHM to DD8 and DD3
Old 07-12-2003, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by freespiritmom
another thought on the night newts ... try a brand new snappi... I was having trouble one night getting my snappi to grip .. so I opened up a new package of snappis and gave one a try.. it worked !.. The tips of the snappis get dull after a lot of uses.. otherwise email Stacy.. She's a wonderful wahm.

I think I might try a new snappi before I start hacking away at my prefolds.

BTW: I also want to make it clear that I do NOT consider this issue/problem to be just concerning LLL products!!! I LOVE my NNs!!! I can't pin or snappi my BabyKicks either! The problem is hemp in general and/or my snappis. I do not think an email to either company is warranted at this point.

Although, tonight I pinned the NN while FiFi was asleep. It took me five minutes and I thought at one point I was going t crush or stab her!
Old 07-12-2003, 02:33 AM

How did I miss this thread?

I was just about to order a bunch of NNs for the new one until you mentioned this to me the other day. I really like the construction of them though. Bummer, I wonder if it would be a waste to invest in hemp prefolds altogether if you can't use them for pinning/snappi-ing?

Hmmm...will have to revise my nighttime plan perhaps.
Old 07-12-2003, 02:40 AM

I suspect it's a snappi problem. I had trouble last night snappi-ing a supposedly snappi-friendly Samuel's Soaker; one side caught well, but the other side was a butt and I decided to pin.

Of course, my snappis are 9 years old now ... :LOL
Old 07-12-2003, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cathi

Bummer, I wonder if it would be a waste to invest in hemp prefolds altogether if you can't use them for pinning/snappi-ing?

I can pin my hemp prefolds including the NNs. I'm also able to snappi the NNs but I've only had them for 2 months. These prefolds are great for nighttime even if you can't snappi them.
Old 07-12-2003, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by chase
I can pin my hemp prefolds including the NNs. I'm also able to snappi the NNs but I've only had them for 2 months. These prefolds are great for nighttime even if you can't snappi them.
Jennifer:

What brand of pins do you use????
Old 07-12-2003, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Of course, my snappis are 9 years old now ... :LOL [/B][/QUOTE]

My snappis are only a year old - but they are acting weird. Or could it be that Fief is changing body shape?
Old 07-12-2003, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Cathi

I was just about to order a bunch of NNs for the new one until you mentioned this to me the other day. I really like the construction of them though. Bummer, I wonder if it would be a waste to invest in hemp prefolds altogether if you can't use them for pinning/snappi-ing?

I was going to have you help me sew some velcro on my BabyKicks to start...sound like a plan?
Old 07-12-2003, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by julieandfiona
I was going to have you help me sew some velcro on my BabyKicks to start...sound like a plan?
Sure, I'll help you do some defiling!
Old 07-12-2003, 01:07 PM

I have lots of wonderful hemp prefolds and decided to use them to stuff pocket diapers and inside covers that will hold them in place. No luck with the snappi or pins here either!! I may try snaps on a few though.

User Tag List