Wipe solution...where to buy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 07-11-2003, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi guys

I am a huge lurker here, but decided to jump in and ask a question...if you don't mind, of course

Where do you all buy the ingredients for your wipe solutions? The Burts Bees Apricot oil, Liquid castile soap, EO's and such. I want to make sure that I am buying the good, 100% natural stuff. Any WAHM sites that sell it?

My lil guy will be here any day, and I need more stuff than I realized. I didn't CD my 1st, so I'm unfortunately a CD'ing newbie. I'm sure I'll have tons of questions after he arrives.

Thanks!
#2 of 19 Old 07-11-2003, 07:52 PM

I usually find Burt's Bees, Dr. Bronner's, essential oils, apricot oil, and other ingredients like those at organic markets, but I believe you can probably find them on line, too. A lot of diaper WAHMs sell Burt's Bees, and they also have a website. You might also try drugstore.com - they seem to have everything!

I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well and that your little guy is here soon!

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#3 of 19 Old 07-11-2003, 07:56 PM
XM

We used olive oil from our kitchen instead of the BB's and we love it! I got my TTO, Aloe, Lavendar oil, and Dr. Bronner's at Whole Foods, but you should be able to find what you need at any store that is even semi-crunchy (out here Fred Meyer even has a Natural Foods section).

Don't drive yourself mad looking for the 'just-right' ingredients, though! We use tap water for ours (we keep it in a bottle to squirt on the wipes), and like I said, olive oil is just as good as the BB's and you probably already have it in your kitchen! HTH!

XM
#4 of 19 Old 07-11-2003, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, you two! I have a Whole Foods right down the street...don't know why I didn't think to look there
#5 of 19 Old 07-11-2003, 08:10 PM

Well, I buy all my stuff locally at our co-op. But, I think Bless U Baby sells the Burt's Bees Oil and Christensen Creations sells castille soap.
#6 of 19 Old 07-11-2003, 08:16 PM

with aloe vera juice, tea tree oil and burts bees oil, I also have some liquid aloe vera soap I put in there, tiny bit. IT works great, no rashes yet and stinky started solids last week.
#7 of 19 Old 07-11-2003, 08:42 PM

Can I use REAL aloe vera?? As in... from the plant growing right here on the window? And how?

Was thinking of that.....
water, A drop of mild liquid baby soap, some aloe vera, Olive oil, and what else that is around this house already??? I have TTO coming soon. What am I missing for a Make-shift solution?
#8 of 19 Old 07-11-2003, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ms.Doula
Can I use REAL aloe vera?? As in... from the plant growing right here on the window? And how?

Was thinking of that.....
water, A drop of mild liquid baby soap, some aloe vera, Olive oil, and what else that is around this house already??? I have TTO coming soon. What am I missing for a Make-shift solution?
Yes, you have to squeeze it out of the leaves with a spoon, at least that is what I do. It works great, you can also buy the raw material at your health food store. The mild liquid baby soap would be great, if you have the solution sitting more then a few days you need the tea tree oil to make sure you do not get fungus, fungus can cause serious rashing. You can purchase tree tea oil at your health food store also and only use a few drops. in your mix.
#9 of 19 Old 07-11-2003, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XM
We used olive oil from our kitchen instead of the BB's and we love it! I got my TTO, Aloe, Lavendar oil, and Dr. Bronner's at Whole Foods, but you should be able to find what you need at any store that is even semi-crunchy (out here Fred Meyer even has a Natural Foods section).

Don't drive yourself mad looking for the 'just-right' ingredients, though! We use tap water for ours (we keep it in a bottle to squirt on the wipes), and like I said, olive oil is just as good as the BB's and you probably already have it in your kitchen! HTH!

XM
Yep, there are far more important things to be concerned about 'gathering' right now.

I like the Burt's Bees Apricot Oil, but I too also will use All Natural Almond Oil from our Natural Foods Store here in town. I also like Extra Virgin Olive Oil - which - is my facial moisturizer too. (it isn't 'oily' like you would think). Everything comes from our Natural Foods Store. I like the NOW brand for my EO . . . reasonably priced, but still high quality.
#10 of 19 Old 07-11-2003, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! You guys are awesome!
#11 of 19 Old 07-11-2003, 10:54 PM

At first I used olive oil, TTO, and lavender but now I just use plain old tap water. BTW Whole Foods sells Burt's Bees also.
#12 of 19 Old 07-12-2003, 04:50 AM

I cheat and buy my wipes solution from www.northernessence.com
#13 of 19 Old 07-12-2003, 05:04 AM

Like someone else said...all the solutions I tried were drying out Ds's skin and irritating it causing diaper rashes. Now I just use plain old tap water and baby oil mixed in a water bottle and it leaves his skin very smooth and soft.

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#14 of 19 Old 07-13-2003, 02:04 AM

I would definitely recommend using an all natural almond, virgin olive oil or even the Burt's Bees over baby oil.

Just a word on Baby Oil in Baby Products:

Baby oil is made from mineral oil. Mineral oil is the byproduct of the distillation process of gasoline from crude oil (leftovers) - so it is very inexpensive and a favorite for many baby care items as a key ingredient.

It can have harmful effects b/c it basically forms a sort of 'layer' atop the skin, hard for the skin to absorb - so it can easily clog pores, slows down the ability for baby's skin to disspell toxins.

When the oil does get absorbed it has difficulty getting broken down by the liver as it is an unnatural product. And it will also absorb all fat-soluable vitamins in the intestinal tract - robbing these vitamins from the body. Different studies believe this could lead to nutritional deficiencies and one study has linked it to decreasing lung function which can cause a form of pneumonia.
#15 of 19 Old 07-13-2003, 02:27 AM

Wal-Mart also sells TTO where all the vitamins are
#16 of 19 Old 07-13-2003, 02:45 AM

Heather: I did not know that. I figured when I posted that I was gonna have someone tell me something bad about it, which is a GOOD thing.
Thanx!

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#17 of 19 Old 07-13-2003, 03:01 AM

I looked more into it following a post about a year ago. I thought . . . peeshaw . . . those crunchies will grumble about anything. :LOL

The thing is that what you have in your pantry can do a better job and is minus the mineral oil. I'll try to find some links if you want to read more.
#18 of 19 Old 07-13-2003, 09:26 PM

I DO! I DO! I wanna learn more! I am absorbing all this great diapering Info.

The more I learn, the crunchier I become! :LOL HaaHaaHaaaa!!!

Heather, you are SO WIZE! A true Titus 2 woman! I personally think you are great for sharing so much of yourself & your knowlege with so many of us!
THANK YOU & Thank your family too!!! For sharing you w/ us!!!

#19 of 19 Old 07-13-2003, 11:54 PM

Thanks!

Okay, I'll get on this when my brain is actually in 'function' mode - which is in the morning hours. Late at night I'm a bit 'giddy.'

As it seems many of us mommas do - I enjoy sharing with you guys. I have to get my daily MDC fix . . . it makes a difference in my day!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page