CPFs smaller than DSQ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-12-2003, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, this is something I've noticed while folding, but not really measured until today, but today I found that my premium UBCPFs (bought online) are smaller than my "CPFs" bought from a diaper service. They are shorter by almost two inches and narrower by an inch. Whats up with that?
Also, my UBCPFs are horrbly uneven... On almost every dipe one side panel is wider than the other, and the width of the center panel varies from dipe to dipe. I've just accepted it as normal for CPFs, but my DSQ aren't like that... :
#2 of 9 Old 07-12-2003, 10:26 AM

Hi Brooke!

I can't tell you why- I'm just as suprised as you probably were. I assumed they were all the same size. Maybe someone who sells CPF would know. I don't think they are the same as DSQ though- think there is a difference.
#3 of 9 Old 07-12-2003, 10:54 AM

probably different manufacturer. My ubcpfs that I got used are perfectly uniform. don't have any diaper services around here, so can't compare....
#4 of 9 Old 07-12-2003, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe one of the prefold experts will answer for me...?
#5 of 9 Old 07-13-2003, 01:57 AM

True cpfs ARE DSQ. DSQ is just a 'standard' used to say that the diapers in question can stand up to rigorous (industrial) washing and drying - as with a Diaper Service.

Not all DSQ are cpfs though.

All true cpfs measure:

Infant - 12x16" unwashed
Regular - 14.5 x 21" unwashed
Premium - 14.5 x 22" unwashed
Toddler - 17.5 x 23" unwashed

Many textile companies are putting out diapers and they are advertised (as ProService does ) as 'These prefolds have come to be known as 'Chinese Prefolds.' So, just b/c someone says cpf does not necessarily mean they all came from the same manufacturer.

Even the thread that used to be able to distinguish them is being copied. Before being washed up it is very hard to tell the difference - but upon using them, the difference shows itself in absorption and the like.

That said, I have about 3 dz. cpfs and some samples from various textile companies and even amid my cpf stash, there are discrepancies in sizing. Not the panels, but the shrinkage according to 'when' they were washed and 'when' I purchased them, etc. . . it IS cotton . . . not all the diapers will shrink the same. You can expect up to 10% shrinkage.

Does that help at all?
#6 of 9 Old 07-13-2003, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, and thanks Heather for your always timely answer... (I love having a mod whose an expert, she has to read, so she usually answers!! THANKS!!)
and your answer kinda helps, although I knew from reading some of your other prefold expert posts that this was the case...

It doesnt explain why my true CPFs panels are so different diaper to diaper, though, when all of them came from the same seller (from NaturalBabies.com) at the same time... Have any ideas on that? (Except that it could be a 12 yr old running the machines? I would have a HUGE problem with that!) This isnt a problem with the DSQ ones...

What I mean is, some of them have narrow side panels, some of them have a narrower center panel and some are slightly crooked. Some have a fat side and a narrow side... They vary by as much as 1/2 inch in width...
I dont mind the differences, but I like predictablity. I notice that some of the CPFs (with the narrower center panel) seem to fit DS better (not so bulky).... I am the type that is getting ready to stack them in order of narrowest to widest center panel as I fold!!
(OK, so that is slightly dysfunctional... I cant even dust, but I can organize a doz prefolds because of a 1/2 inch difference? : )

Oh and when I said "CPFs" I meant that THEY said CPFs, but I knew that getting them from a diaper service, they were likely ProServices or other DSQ, and not true CPFs.
(Not that it mattered, I was desparate for something other than Gerber!)

Thanks again...
#7 of 9 Old 07-13-2003, 08:37 AM

If all your diapers came from the same retailer, I would contact them and ask them if they have maintained buying from the same co. b/c your diapers are varied.

Maybe ask specifically if they are ProService or Green Earth?
#8 of 9 Old 07-13-2003, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

They didnt all come from one retailer...
I guess I didnt make that point clear. I bought the DSQs from a diaper service, I bought the CPFs from Natural Baby.

Thanks Heather for your persistant answers!!
#9 of 9 Old 07-13-2003, 03:25 PM

Gotcha.
Well, just give your retailer a ring and find out where they purchase from and ask why the inconsistency if it is only within those that they sent you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page