Washing diapers in labor!? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-13-2003, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am due to have this next babe of mine in about a month and a terrifying thought just hit me. No, not the pain of labor. Even more terrifying. What if someone else washes my toddlers diapers while I am away at the hospital???!!!!

OMG - what if it is my MIL?? She puts about 1/2 a bottle of downey in everything! I know even if I leave very detailed washing instructions she will not do it the way I want.

I will be probably be away for at least 2 days so chances are they are going to have to be washed. Oh, I just know they will be ruined. Maybe I should have a homebirth after all, just to make sure no one gets their mitts on my dipes. Help me mamas!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2003, 12:35 AM

Is your dh "teachable"? Can he be trusted with the precious diapers? I know most dh's dont wash dipes but maybe he can be taught and do it just this once
Old 07-13-2003, 12:36 AM

ROFLOL!!! So true!!!

Maybe pack them all up with you as you leave....c'mon....how bad could a trunkload of dipes in need of a wash really smell.....

Or maybe the washer could be "broken" while she's there....hmmmm.....

Jennifer
Old 07-13-2003, 12:36 AM

seems like a good enough reason to birth at home!

two words: postpartum doula.

perhaps you can find a kind postpartum doula who would agree to meet beforehand, have your house keys and a list of washing instructions? she might be helpful later, too!

tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
Old 07-13-2003, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Maybe I should have a homebirth after all, just to make sure no one gets their mitts on my dipes. Help me mamas!!
I know it's of little help, but one perk I found in having a homebirth was that I was there to guard my diapers from laundry mishaps at all times! Dh had done the rest of the laundry and it was a disaster (ran out of quarters to dry b/c he went to the mat, didnt' listen to me that he had enough to use our own building machines), when Liam was two days old, it was time to wash his (and his brother's) diapers, and by golly I did!
Old 07-13-2003, 12:50 AM

Hide it! I hide the bleach when my mother comes and am going to start hiding all our delicate clothes too after she put Jon's knitted silk polo shirt on a hot wash.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:58 AM

I like tabitha's idea.

I have two words too - - - >> HIDE DIAPERS!
Old 07-13-2003, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Post a sign above the washer forbidding any washing of diapers. Then hide as many as you can and only leave out the ones you can afford to have ruined.
Old 07-13-2003, 03:21 AM

why would your mil not follow your directions? Tell her she will ruin them if she does it any other way.
Seems pretty bad that she can't do that.

Maybe explain how important it is to you and she will do it right

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 07-13-2003, 03:26 AM

I am due any moment now...
I am worried about DH washing dipes. He either won't, or won't do it properly. PLUS, he won't snappi and I don't have enough of a fitted stash for more than 1 day away and so he went and bought himself some sposies. I don't like the idea a lot... and hopefully we won't have to resort to them, but we are covered in any event.
Old 07-13-2003, 06:26 AM

well... we sposied.

I didnt like them, but wasnt going to be available to wash everyday like I was doing, and DH certainly couldnt put on a CD at that point, washing them is still out of his league...
My grandma watched DD while we were out, and NO WAY could I get her to CD. She had enough of that with her own kids.

Soo.. enter the sposies...

I think it would have been okay if we had limited the use to one pack, but DH got used to it. Frankly, so did I. Sposies is better than regular Gerber for a 2.5 yr old (IMO). WAY easier....
But we spent $80 in dipes that mo... I COULD HAVE SPENT THAT ON A FUZ (or some other, cheaper cute dipes)!!!
Old 07-13-2003, 06:29 AM

Oh yeah, I should mention-- You will probably have plenty of time to get the last of the dirty dipes into the wash, dried and hidden safely in labor...
Unless you have a history of fast labors, it could be a nice little labor project. Otherwise, you might want to have your midwife handy at the laundry mat!! :LOL
Old 07-13-2003, 11:12 AM

I think our mils must be related! Just recently, I took a permanent marker to each detergent container, bleach container, fabric softener, etc and wrote: NOT FOR DIAPERS! DON'T DO IT OR YOU BUY ME NEW. Just in case someone ever got a wild hair to actually wash something around here. I have a mil who likes to think she's a helper....but she can read, though she doesn't always listen . Maybe even one of those big rubber bands or packing tape around the off-limit products? Just in case someone FINDS the hidden diapers???? Maybe a sticky on the washer saying, "STOP! NO DIAPERS"

Oh, the thought of Downy in the CDs gives me the shivers!!!

Best wishes,

Amy

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Old 07-13-2003, 11:39 AM

lol! How funny about MIL using 1/2 bottle of Downy! We will be leaving dd with family so I won't expect them to deal with cloth dipes. We'll leave them with some sposies. And since we aren't having anyone over after the birth to help us, we will probably sposie the new one for a week or until I feel recovered. I am anticipating major breast oversupply problems again and will have my hands full.

I totally prefer cloth to sposies but I guess practicality has made me less of a purist than I used to be. There's a time and place for sposies, they just are not meant for everyday use.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 07-13-2003, 11:50 AM

home birth home birth home birth

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

Old 07-13-2003, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

I confesed my fears to Dh last night and he said he could be in charge of the diaper washing. That puts me at ease a little. He may not do it exactly the way I do but he knows how freakishly obsessive I am about so I know he will at least make a good effort.

My MIL has a good heart, and is always wanting to help, but she just doesn't pay attention very well. I can just see her thinking "Oh, this bleach will clean them so much better than that baking soda!" After Dds birth she came over to help out for a few days and I swear she did about 100 loads of laundry. 2 green towels in this load, 2 blue towels in that load, 4 white shirts in another load, 3 white socks in another load. OY VEY!

I do like the idea of putting labels on the off limits products. And I think I will tape my washing instructions to the washer for Dh. I know he thinks I am nuts!
Old 07-13-2003, 02:26 PM

During my second home birth I had two dear friends in the house and dh and together they did the birth laundry and the diapers... whew...it is a worry.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right

User Tag List