Switching to Cloth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-13-2003, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! I'm new to these forums. I have a 4 month old son (Cole) and am going to switch to cloth diapers. My husband is not convinced that this is a good idea, so we are going to do a short (1-2 month) trial period with a diaper service, but then I'll wash myself. Since I REALLY want to use cloth, I would love some advice about how to make cloth diapering as easy as possible for him. I was thinking of buying some of the different types of diapers, such as AIO's (that's about the only diaper slang I have figured out ), I have read about so many different types I'm not quite sure what to get. What are fitted versus contoured? The best kinds of covers, aios, night time diapers, etc. Any advice you experienced ladies could give a newbie would be greatly appreciated. Also, any sources for buying this stuff would be awsome too!!! I can't wait to get started!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2003, 01:32 AM

Good luck Andrea! My DD is 4 mths as well and I am really trying to find something that works. The only thing I have that is remotely close to working is the Bumkin's AIO's and I haven't even used them yet. They are terribly cute and look really easy. I must say the chinese prefolds and wraps (which is probably what a diaper service will give) simply DO NOT WORK for me: !!! I can't get the darn things figured out! And as you probably know...they're starting to grab their feet and wriggle a lot so it's not a good time for experimenting. I am really hoping these work out...I tried it on her earlier and it's so trim! I love the trimmness of sposies and HATE the puffy prostetic look of prefolds. I hope these work...I am really looking forward to tomorrow!
Old 07-13-2003, 01:47 AM

Good luck, Andrea. Check out the diapering resources section above, as well as the diaper reviews for a start. These are at the top of the diapering board.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
Old 07-13-2003, 01:55 AM

Hi! I have a two month old and we just switched over to cloth. I'm liking it WAY better than sposies. I don't mind doing laundry at all (who'd have imagined?). Anyway, I like everything--cpfs, fitteds, AIO, pockets, but my DH is only comfortable with the pocket dipes and AIOs. I don't know how much you're willing to spend, but it may be a good idea to get a few of those for your DH.

I ordered (and just received) three Little Lamb Quick Dry AIOs (www.cutest-cloth-diapers.com) and they're fantastic. So soft, and the cutest prints. They do run small, though. I also have a honeyboy AIO that's very cute, and just got a prowrap AIO but I haven't tried it.

The pocket dipes are great, too. My DH (who really prefers the velcro closings to snaps, sigh : ) likes the happy heinys best. (www.happyheinys.com) As the name implies, they have a pocket that you can stuff with something and that catches the pee. The actual dipe is lined with fleece and it's really soft. You can stuff it with whatever you want--a cpf (bulky, but it works), a Joey Bunz, whatever. They work wonderfully for us. The other pocket dipe we use is fuzzibunz (www.fuzzibunz.com) which is along the same lines as the HH, but with snaps. Fuzzibunz are great for nighttime (for us, anyway). I stuff the pocket with a cpf and a JB and ds is nice and dry at his next change.

Quote:
What are fitted versus contoured?
Fitted dipes have snaps or aplix and work like a sposie (except you need a cover). You can put a doubler in them for added absorbancy. Contoured dipes are shaped sort of like an hourglass, but don't have any snaps or anything. They need covers, too.

Oh, as for covers, we have bummis super whisper wraps (my favorite), bumkins (OK but still a little big on DS), motherease rikki wraps (also good) and green earth (IMO, a little flimsy, but they work OK).

You may want to look into a wool cover for nighttime if your daughter is a heavy wetter. I haven't tried any wool yet so I can't be of any help with this one, but I'm sure someone here can.

HTH!

mostly WAHM, sometimes WOHM to my : two boys.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I switched my DS at one year, and had to convince a reluctant DH. CPFs didn't really work for us, either, but that's what you'll get with a diaper service.

A fitted is a diaper that is worn like a disposable. Many of them close with snaps and are made of hemp or various types of cotton fabric. However, it's not waterproof so it needs a wool, fleece, or other waterproof cover. (Like Bummis). A contour is like a folded up prefold diaper that you lay inside a tight fitting cover. Most moms I know like fitteds or AIOs better than contours -- contours don't contain poopy blowouts as well as other diapers.

HTH!
Old 07-13-2003, 04:16 AM

I'm also relatively new to CDing and really love it--for the sake of my son's health, the environment, our budget, and the cuteness factor, which is a big plus. here are some things that were helpful to me along the way:

I recently came across a site that is a great place to start for newbies--it's www.clothdiaperinfo.org.

when you are making decisions about brands and places to buy, check out reviews on diaperpin.com and borntolove.com.

it took me a while to warm up to prefolds, but once i bought a yard of good microfleece and cut my own liners, they became my favorite and the mainstay of my system. be sure to get the good-quality Malden Mills microfleece, preferably in a neutral color--i found mine at Sew Shoppe online.

also start out modestly. look for free shipping or flat shipping (online stores like kelly's closet, natural babies or smartiepantsdiapers) so that you can try one or two cover/diaper styles at a time while deciding what's right for you. you can start to experiment while using diaper service to see what you like. before ordering new things, feel free to ask questions, either on this board or to the store owner. also check out the trading post for great deals from other mamas.

i'd also recommend that you do a search (maybe under something like "newbie advice") --there's an amazing store of cloth wisdom in this community. good luck!
Old 07-13-2003, 12:22 PM

hello,
everyone has given really good information-

but i wanted to jump in and say yay!

you're doing a really great thing.

I hope you'll find you have a dh that can really get into CDing. My dh really appreciates being able to put soft, comfy cloth on his son- he's a boy, too, and wants his "boy parts" to be as comfy as possible. empathy.

We began for 2 mos with a diaper service, slowly buying our own diapers in those 2 months until we had enough. I find it is easier to wash them yourself. You are free top wash when you want, and if you use cloth wipes (and cloth wipes are GREAT) you can just wash it all together.

We know ds is happy and comfy in his diapers. we wash & dry them ourselves, and we know how soft they are! No plastics against his skin, it just feels right.

even though i never purchased any diapers from these companies, i suggest you get a copy of Mothering Magazine and "sign up" in the back for catalogs from all the diaper ones. They have some nice things, but mostly i got a lot of "diaper lingo" and info like what you're asking for out of them, and i got to see a lg. range of diapering goodies.

But these ladies here will help you out!...

tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
Old 07-13-2003, 07:20 PM

Andreac we're in the same boat. I'm thinking of switching to cloth and my dh is sceptical and I'm thinking of starting out with a diaper service. You're right the lingo is something else. Like, what exactly is wicking?!! Anyway none of this is much help to you but just wanted to say good luck and I'll be watching this thread for more info. Thanks for starting it.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:17 PM

I have never regretted buying my prefolds and pocket diapers! The pocket dipes can be used with the prefold in the pocket (like a quick dry AIO), or some mommies actually use them like covers/wraps (with a prefold against the baby) and reuse several times in a day. (and they make a decent swim diaper unstuffed too)
I highly suggest any brand of pocket dipe for their versitility, ease of use and quick drying. (and I think they get cleaner in the wash)
Snappi's are also great (once you get over the intimidation factor-yikes! )
happy diapering!
Old 07-13-2003, 09:02 PM

Hi. I'm new here. I started cding about 6 weeks ago. I love my fuzzi bunz but only with their own inserts. The hemparoos always leak and seem stiff to me. It's great to be putting soft fleece on my boys bottom and the washing is much easier than I expected.

mama to 4 boys, 2 kitties and 42 chickens
Old 07-13-2003, 09:14 PM

Just wanted to say, if you want to convince your dh to use cloth, I think you are on the right track with AIO's (though there are lots of dh's that love prefolds and snappi's, mine isn't one).

My dh uses only AIO's when he changes dd, it just works best for him...otherwise, we have some pretty unusual combinations! He has his own basket that he knows he can grab an AIO and that's that...no cover, no doubler, nothing funky to confuse him.

Kudos to you for making the switch

User Tag List