please recommend a pail... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 07-13-2003, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm registering and thinking on adding a pail, but what to choose?

i figure it has to be something that contains odor. any recommendations?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 07-13-2003, 12:52 AM

This may not be any help at all, but i know there are pails that hold a deo disk, helps absorb odor. But I use just a plain trashcan with a snapping lid--works great and lots cheaper
#3 of 25 Old 07-13-2003, 01:21 AM

i just use a plain old rubbermaid trashcan
#4 of 25 Old 07-13-2003, 01:30 AM

We use a trash bin also, LOL..

We use the diaperbuddies inside it cause when it is time to do laundry you just dump the whole thing inside (with the buddy) and wash.. the diaperbuddy works as a laundry booster.

there are other ones you can get with "pockets" for the disks (walmarts sells them) but, I needed something bigger and they don't last me long

HTH,
Liz
#5 of 25 Old 07-13-2003, 01:30 AM

Sterilite flip-top from Wal-Mart!
#6 of 25 Old 07-13-2003, 01:33 AM

Yup, I use a sterilite flip-top too. It's smallish though, but that's good because it keeps my on my laundering toes.
#7 of 25 Old 07-13-2003, 01:43 AM

I got mine from Smartie Pants Diapers and I LOVE IT! It is huge and can fit a LOT of diapers. Also Bryana offers a flat $3.95 shipping so that won't kill you. Definitely worth the money!
#8 of 25 Old 07-13-2003, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestions! they sure are helpful.

interesting how no one uses an actual diaper pail. good to know.
#9 of 25 Old 07-13-2003, 03:19 AM

I got my diaper pail at weebeez.com I lent it to a friend and she broke the lid so I had to pay $6 for a replacement....but other than that, it's worked just fine. I suppose I could have gotten something from Target...never thought of that
#10 of 25 Old 07-13-2003, 10:20 AM

We didn't have any "odors" to deal with until they started solid foods.

OMG! I love my Sterilite flip-top. I have a deep one with a blue lid and gray handle and hinges. Got it at Hell-Mart. For me, it's perfect, but I also wash about every other night. It was about $4. I'd save the registry for dipes!

Amy

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#11 of 25 Old 07-13-2003, 11:16 AM

I use a small sivler trash can with a flip top lid & foot pedal. The inside has a plastic "liner" with a handle that you can lift out & carry to the washer. After 7 years cloth diapering, this is the best I have found. You can buy them anywhere for about 18.00
AWESOME!
#12 of 25 Old 07-13-2003, 11:19 AM

I've tried out quite a few pails and the one that works best at containing odors and has hands-free action is a regular foot pedal, flip-top trash can. I got a slim one from Wal-mart that is supposed to fit in tight spaces. An extra large Bummies tote fits in it perfectly. I gave away all my other pails.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#13 of 25 Old 07-13-2003, 12:07 PM

I use a Sterilite touch top trash can. I got it at Target for about $5. My large Bummis pail liner fits perfectly.

New WOHM to DD8 and DD3
#14 of 25 Old 07-13-2003, 12:15 PM

I also used a Sterilite flip top trash can until I was at a thrift shop and picked up a Gerry pail for 1.50. It has spot inside the lid to put a disk (although I have yet to use one) and it has a locking lid and handle for easy moving to the laundry room. I love it!

I would definitely check thrift shops--they usually have a bunch for very cheap!
#15 of 25 Old 07-13-2003, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by anabean
i'm registering and thinking on adding a pail, but what to choose?

i figure it has to be something that contains odor. any recommendations?

thanks!

I'm getting a diaper pail from www.jacksmagicbeanstalk.com it has a place for a deo disk and has a locking lid.

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#16 of 25 Old 07-13-2003, 01:15 PM
Banned

nak

tee hee, so funny that most folks don't use a pail, just a trashcan! I use a rubbermaid 8 gal trash can with a step-thingy, flip top lid. Holds the X-L bummis liner perfectly, or any other liner of about the same size. The liner makes the lid fit more snug too, so less p.u. Then I put a stick-up in the lid to hold my deo-disks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy
Got it at Hell-Mart.
is that what's wrong with that store?!:LOL
#17 of 25 Old 07-13-2003, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by georgiamilk
I'd save the registry for dipes!
if there were any stores i could register at for cloth diapers! i went to babie r us ( how much stuff does a baby really need?!) and they had a very poor diaper cover selection. but i guess that was to be expected. the reason i'm registering there is so people who live away can buy online. i'm also registering at a local baby store that has way better selection of everyhting, but alas, no online buying option. :
#18 of 25 Old 07-13-2003, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a couple fisher price diaper pails. They are called 'odorless' or whatever... they are no better or worse at holding in smells than when I just throw the dirties into a laundry basket... I don't bother with a liner either. I just leave the pail to air out outside, or spray it out with the hose when I remember.
#19 of 25 Old 07-13-2003, 05:28 PM

We are actually a little different. We use a sterilite (rubbermaid knock-off) bin. The rectangle ones with the lid that are usually used for storage. (which is what it was doing in it's previous life). I began using it until I could afford a pail, but really liked the fact that after I dunked and rinsed the dipes (I know, I just can't stand putting poos in the laundry...toddler poos), I could lay them out flat. If they are stinky, I can put a layer of baking soda on them and the stuff gets spread over the whole dipe which helps with stains. Sort of like dirty diaper lasagna. lol.

edited to add: I usually stack my HH on top...really do need another pail now that I have more dipes to put my HH and covers on. The covers are usually outside the pail on the top, well rinsed, "just in case" I need them. (I don't have many). Most of my stash is prefolds.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#20 of 25 Old 07-13-2003, 06:03 PM

If I'm not mistaken, several of the WAHM sites let you register for diapers and lots of cool stuff!!! Check out some of the WAHMs 'round here, and go to town I would never buy CDs from the usual baby registry suspects (BRU, etc). Good luck--how fun!

Amy

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#21 of 25 Old 07-13-2003, 06:05 PM

We use an 18 gallon Rubbermaid tote. Works perfectly, latches shut so Sophie can't get in, and contains odors (until you open it! LOL).

Meagan
#22 of 25 Old 07-14-2003, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by succotash
If I'm not mistaken, several of the WAHM sites let you register for diapers and lots of cool stuff!!! Check out some of the WAHMs 'round here, and go to town I would never buy CDs from the usual baby registry suspects (BRU, etc). Good luck--how fun!

Amy
who, where, when?! do tell!

i am not savvy at all about all the WAHM's sites. I must find out, since it'd be brilliant to be able to register for diapes!

woo!
#23 of 25 Old 07-14-2003, 01:32 AM

You can register at www.naturalbabies.com She has EVERYTHING that a diapering mama could ever want. Her flat rate shipping of $3.95 won't scare people off either
#24 of 25 Old 07-14-2003, 08:45 AM

I don't use a pail anymore. I'm pregnant, and my bionic nose just couldn't take the ammonia smell from the diapers in a plastic trash can. I use one of those cotton canvas laundry bags, got a nifty holder it hangs in. I actually have two of them, so I have one to use while the other is washing with the dipes. I have much less odors using this system, I believe because the diapers can breathe or air out or something.
I do dunk and totally rinse off any traces of poop first, and also spray some Nature's Miracle on the worst dipes before putting them in the bag. (like overnight hemp dipes, they really reek of pee)
#25 of 25 Old 07-14-2003, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mamaste
Sterilite flip-top from Wal-Mart!
except mine was from Target

I have a bummis sack inside.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page