When did you start cding? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: What number child and what age?
birth 36 100.00%
after birth but before a year 41 100.00%
one year - 18 months 15 100.00%
19 months- 2 4 40.00%
over 2 5 50.00%
first child 46 100.00%
second 19 100.00%
third 8 80.00%
fourth 4 40.00%
fifth or more 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please put the age and number child you started cding with. I am curious.

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#2 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 02:22 AM

We started dd #1 at 8 months.
DS (still comfy inside) will have CD from the get go!
#3 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 02:23 AM

I cloth diapered them all from birth.
I am so sad to think about not doing it one day...I think I'll have a fourth!
#4 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 02:24 AM

Okay, I voted for at birth, and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd child, so I hope I didn't mess up the poll. I started cding my first kiddo when he was born...and my daughter when she was born, but went back and forth between cloth and sposies for about 2 years. I started cding Sam at birth, and now that I have something more than gerbers(some people like them...they didn't work well for my kids)I will be staying with cloth.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#5 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 02:29 AM

crud! I didn't put which child in the poll lol DD was CDed from birth, ds was sposied
#6 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 02:44 AM

Both from birth.
#7 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
#1 switched to CDs at age one.
#8 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 03:14 AM

I tried to cd Connor but didn't know what I was doing and had noone around to help...I got some cute diapers from a One Step Ahead catalog but I didn't understand I needed covers, lol, so i gave up. I didn't do it agian until Cooper, my thrid, was 8mo and my friend gave me 2 dz toddler CPF and I bought alexis covers and pins. Curran has never had a disposable diaper or wipe used on him

I wish I had support when Connor, my first was born. I think all of my children would have been cd'ed.
#9 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 03:33 AM

I started cding ds#1 when he was about 8 months. We were having a LOT of nightime leaks and it was driving me crazy. One day I got some kinda natural parenting cataloge in the mail selling cd's and other things and thats what got the wheels turning in my head! It has now been 4 glorious months of LEAK FREE!
#10 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 04:28 AM

I started using cd's with my second baby, when she was about 2 months old. However, every baby after that was cd'ed from birth. Baby #3 was 1 day old, started as soon as we got home from the hospital, that last 4 were cd'ed starting with their first diaper (born at home), meconium and all!
#11 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 08:43 AM

I started cding Gabrielle almost 9 years ago things have come a long way since then. I used gerber prefolds and plastic pants with pins. When Caz came along I had some $$$ so I thought I would give sposies a try after the first few months of changing onesies with at least 1 poop a day I gave my the diaper service a call what a difference betweeen those diapers and my Gerbers. Anyways when Tommy was born 6 years later I looked up the service again and it had gone out of business : so I started doing an internet search truly only looking for those wonderful diaper service prefolds and wraps. Now here I am addicted like all of you
#12 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 09:24 AM

I had no clue about CD options when DD was born. By the time DS came along, I had a lot more information. He's been in cloth since he was 22 hours old.
#13 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for voting (and keep doing it)!

I was trying to see how many late blooming cders we had here beside myself and how big a portion of the community we were.
I started like 2-3 months ago, with my 3rd child he was 17 months old.

-BelovedBird

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#14 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 10:55 AM

my first and second children are twins - I started cding when they were 20 months and my third child was 4 months

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#15 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 11:01 AM

I voted birth with first child, but that's not entirely true.

I started with cloth right from the start with my first child and I failed miserably I used a diaper service and cheap wraps. I didn't know there was anything else out there...and almost 9 years ago, I don't think there was much. I had no support, there weren't amazing places like this when Conrad was small, and if there were, I didn't know about them. So, I went to sposies. With my second child, I didn't even try to do cloth. When I got pregnant with dd, I was determined to succeed! I searched the internet, because by this time I was a confirmed internet junkie and found Terri's FMBG site. I emailed her some questions, she responded and I knew fitteds were the way to go for me (still snake bit by that first hideous experience).

I started with some homemade poopockets, FMBG covers and a few small FMBG diapers when dd was first born

Then enter Fuz, then wool addiction and the rest is history :

Now, I'm finally going to try cpf again and I know I can do it this time, cause you mamas are going to hold my hand, talk me though it and listen to my snappi woes.
#16 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 11:43 AM

I started when Kaylee was 7 mos and I found the PP diapering board. I've used a combo of disposies/cloth on Lexi since she was born, but 90%+ has been cloth

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#17 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 12:06 PM

Oops! I forgot to put which child in the poll too!

I started with Emma Kate at about 15mo and plan to use CDs with Spencer when he is born--probably about 80% of the time if I can! I've never Cd-d an EBF baby so we'll see how I last with the laundry! LOL! Emma was already on solids when I started with her, but she was super active, so that brought its own challenges--overall I'm glad I switched. I enjoy the change of pace and she looks so darn cute in some of her AIOs.
#18 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 12:14 PM

We started with wraps and CPFs as soon as we got home from Korea with Spike two days shy of his fifth-month birthday. So far so good! In fact, we learned rather quickly our baby boy won't poo unless he's in cloth. (Daddy and Grandma have a tendency to grab disposables, but they're learning!)
#19 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 12:38 PM

I started CDing my second child a couple months ago. She was 4 months old.
#20 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 01:04 PM

Ooops, I goofed a little bit. I started CD'ing my second baby at about 2 months. A month later I put my then 2 yo in CDs. Baby number three has been in cloth since birth
#21 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 01:22 PM

I cd -ed our first from birth with diaper service- went to my own ME OS dipes when she was 3 months because the wraps kept leaking and our pinning was very lame. Cloth diapered #2 from birth.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#22 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 02:12 PM

Started CD'ing my 3rd child at about 18 mos and then 4th child was born 4 months later. I didn't start CDin'g baby #4 until he was around 6-8wks full time as I was trying to build a stash for two kids at once and didn't really want to use CPFs. Once I figured out that I could use CPFs *while* building my "hyena" stash, I got them both into CDs all the time. Shortly after that, DD potty trained and I sold off her stash to buy DS more dipes and its been a fun ride
#23 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 02:37 PM

I switched my dd(2nd child)to cloth when she was 2.5. The sposies were giving her such awful rashes! Cloth was the answer! We are expecting another sweet babe late November and he/she will be cd'd from birth.

Just an aside: I made dd some cute diapers and I am making tiny ones now for the new baby and my poor ds asks why didn't I make him any and why didn't I put him in "soft, comfy diapers? " So sad! I have explained to him that I didn't know how great cloth diapers were when he was little and I only learned about them when his sister was 2. Poor kid.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#24 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 02:49 PM

Well I wanted to cloth diaper Rachel in 98 And I did for a month or two with gerber prefolds and dappi covers but didnt stick with it. I did call around for diaper services and the lady told me that they were all closing up due to the fact that everyone uses disposbales she told me if you wanted to cloth that you would have to buy the ones from the store and wash them yourself. I was disappointed. so when I was pregnant with Kimberly I bought some kooshies and use those part time we live in an apartment at the time so it was really hard to wash them so My DH told me to use sposies intil we moved so when Kimberly was 6 months old I cloth diapered part time again intil I bought some more diapers that is when I bought some motherease os and used them and been cloth diapering full time since October. Iam so glad that Iam cloth diapering there is so much more support then there was in 1998. my third child will be cloth diapered from the beginning.

Mom to  Rachel 15 Kimberly 12 Chloe 10 and Nathaniel 8
#25 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 03:10 PM

I'm another who forgot to add "first child" when I voted.

We started CDing Lola when she was five days old (I voted "from birth). We used a service for just under six months (3 months of that was a shower gift), then I began laundering my own.

She's in cloth dipes about 90-95% of the time (some would call me hardcore, others a sell out, and still others normal). I love and prefer her to be in cloth but have never found the right night time solution and just don't care to try anymore.

My stash consists of CPFs, Kissaluv fitteds, Kissaluv contours, a Mother Ease Sandy, a Sugar Pea, and a Firefly. Right now, I'm working on selling off some Kissaluvs so I can buy more Fireflies. I've also recently become wise to the wonders of hemp and eventually want to add some hemp PFs to my stash.
#26 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 03:16 PM

If only I had known the wonders of cloth BEFORE ds was born! I knew that I *should* cloth diaper him, but I thought it was all pins and sopping wet messes.

Then I bought a Mothering Magazine when ds was 7 months old and got really excited about the ads in the back. So ds was 8 months old when that first fuzzy mail came!

Now I can't wait to cloth diaper the next one from birth!
#27 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 04:00 PM

We started with ds at about 7 weeks.

mostly WAHM, sometimes WOHM to my : two boys.
#28 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 04:38 PM

I started with child #2 when he was 15 months old. Then #3 and #4 have been in cd's since birth.
#29 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 05:08 PM

I started with my first baby at about 4 weeks of age.
#30 of 34 Old 07-13-2003, 05:12 PM

Mothering inspired me as well with their cloth diapering issue, I think January/February! I felt terrible about all the diapers I was throwing away with two in diapers and decided to research cloth! At first I thought all you "diaper chicks" were crazy and now well I am completely addicted!:LOL
My dd was about 26 months and ds 6 months when we started doing cloth about half the time while I was waiting on diapers to come in and now we are doing cloth full time! I love it and wished I would have started with both of them at birth!
Ah, live and learn right!

grouphug.gif mom to five on earth (11 ,9, 7 and 5) and one on the way October 19, 2012 joy.gif

One in heaven angel.gif July 2006

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page