Good alternative to CPF? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-13-2003, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I think these Bumkin's AIO's might work for me. She's got her first one on now so if it holds everything in, I think it's a go!! I love the way they fit and look (though I can't tell if it's too tight in the legs).

My question is, I have some Bumkin wraps that I like, but cannot get them to work with a cpf. Actually I can't get anything to work with a CPF! I HATE them!!! Ugh! Anyway, any suggestions on a good CPF substitute. I know people talk about using the Joey buns (?) as a doubler, but can I use that alone? ANy better ones? I don't think I mind changing her a little more often for her to have a trim fit, but it still has to hold (sometimes she holds it for a long time before she pps).

Thanks in advance!!

I'm so excited! I might actually be able to cd now!
#2 of 12 Old 07-13-2003, 11:27 AM

first - elaborate on what you mean by you cannot get cpfs to work - let's troubleshoot there.
#3 of 12 Old 07-13-2003, 11:47 AM

I have not been able to get my CPFs to be completely covered by our Bumkins wraps when I snappi the CPF on my wiggly 4.5 month old (and even when he was younger).

So instead, I've been trifolding our CPFs (folding them like you would a letter to fit into an envelope) and placing them into the wrap (tucking the top into the little flap a bit). It works JUST like the Bumkins AIO that way, really -- you just velcro and go! And I find they are still trim, but more absorbant (very important because all my kids are super soakers!).

If you get the CPFs in there ahead of time, they are super easy for the DHs and Nanas who may also need to change them.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#4 of 12 Old 07-13-2003, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Well, 1) I can't seem to get them into the wrap all the way
and 2) if I do get them in all the way, they are way too bulky.

I do trifold them. If I do it "with" the extra layers(hot dog style), it's too long, if I do it "against" the extra layers(hamburger style), it's too thick or wide.

I'm too the point where I just don't like messing with them. Looking for something easier, neater, and trimmer (I can always come back to them later).
#5 of 12 Old 07-13-2003, 12:10 PM

Oh ok, so the CPFs you have are too big it sounds like. I can still get by with trifolding my infant CPFs. I got some Premiums -- too big! eek. So now I'm going to order some Regulars (the size in between Infant & Premium). It's the least expensive route to go (which has to be the priority for us right now).

Good luck to you!

nak so toh -- sorry for any typos

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#6 of 12 Old 07-13-2003, 12:19 PM

Denise,

When it's clean, I use a Joey in our lone Nikky on Spike-o. Great, trim fit and no leaks. Of course, Spike isn't a pee-meister, so if you're kiddo is a heavy wetter, you might run into problems.

If only Nikkys weren't so darn expensive . . .

I also "made the mistake" of getting two dozen premium CPFs and have found yup, they're kinda bulky. They fit fine in all the medium wraps I have, but after I used the lone infant CPF I have in a cover, I felt like I've been wacked with the idiot stick. Duh, Spike-o's just about 15 pounds, and some people have used infant-sized CPFs on their kiddos up to 20 pounds. Hopefully the smaller dipes'll arrive soon.

Good luck with the AIOs!

Angela
#7 of 12 Old 07-13-2003, 12:29 PM

If your baby is a heavy wetter you could always double up on Joeys, using 2. I never used Joeys in a wrap, but I don't see why you couldn't. I used to use Hemp Trifolds (like those available at http://www.smjae.com or http://www.littlelounginglizards.com) in a wrap on my first DD. With my ebf baby I find we need to use a fitted and cover to keep messes in.

HTH a bit!! Glad you found something that might work for you!

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#8 of 12 Old 07-13-2003, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

I had no idea what size I bought....went back and looked and yep! I bought the regular. Grr! Guess I'll have to try and infant then. Dang! I hate having to wait on things!!!
#9 of 12 Old 07-13-2003, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Still like to know which insert is best...looks like joey's so far.
#10 of 12 Old 07-13-2003, 01:17 PM

I've been using premium cpfs on dd since she was about 13 pounds. She's a super heavy wetter, and infant pfs were soaked in 1 or 2 pees. i use the bikini twist and snappi and cover with bummis whisper pants (pull-on cover). Sometimes poop escapes the diaper, but has never leaked out of the cover. I find cpfs to be very trim fitting with the bikini twist.
#11 of 12 Old 07-13-2003, 03:50 PM

www.naturalbabies.com

She has great prices on CPFs and ships with a flat rate of $3.95 (which is good b/c they're heavy!!)

Definitely get the infants, and fold them the wrong way - I used the trifold in my bumkins FOREVER - they were one of our favorites before we switched to wool!!
#12 of 12 Old 07-13-2003, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I too find 4x8x4 premium cpfs to be bulky and prefer the standards 4x6x4s. I even still use my infant ones for my 21 mo toddler... I trifold it into a cover with no folding the front down. He isn't a heavy wetter and I change frequently, so it works for me and is super trim in a bumkins.

I like to use a doubler under the flap in the bumkins aios too... it helps them wear just a bit longer for us when I can't change him right away... Never a leak, and they fit nicely.

Oh, not sure how old your babe is, but I hated the infant 4x8x4s when my little guy was little. They 're just to short to fold down without being ridiculously thick. Next time I'll have lots of newborn 2x5x2 which we still use as doublers now. We've gotten lots of use from these.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page