Help - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-13-2003, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dont know what to do Iam totally broke I cannot go to the store and buy sposies neiether do I want to. but I think our well is about ready to die we may need another well we get this black dirt in are water and it clogs up my washing machine screen and hardly any water comes out of it and my dh is cleaning it every five minutes it did it when I put in a load of diapers and I just dont know what Iam going to do Iam finishing this load up but how am I going to wash my diapers? I dont even have any money to go to a laundry matt so Iam hoping that the diapers I have will last a week and how will that effect my diapers will they get mildew on them it is humid in my laundry room The landlords are on vacation for the week. this problem is going to have to wait I can go to my mother in laws who lives to hours away to use there machine intil they figure out what is wrong with the well but I cannot get to her house intil the weekend Iam just afraid my diapers are going to get ruined. I dont care what DH says this time Iam not going back to sposies.

Mom to  Rachel 15 Kimberly 12 Chloe 10 and Nathaniel 8
#2 of 8 Old 07-13-2003, 09:14 PM

Christina, I am sorry you are going through this bad time. I wish I lived nice and close so I could help you out. Is it possible your Mom can come pick up some washing for you during the week? Is the water not even usable to give the dipes a little pre-rinse before going into the diaper pail?, because that might help them get through the week. You know what, I bet they will be fine waiting a week. I don't know what sort of place you live in, but if it's in the country or has some private outdoor space maybe you could leave the diapers in the sun, clean or not and they won't mildew that way.

Surely your landlord has some back-up contact in case of emergency? I don't think it's ok to leave yourself unavailable for a whole week that way. Then it takes some time to fix too once they actually are back.

I wish I had some other suggestions. Big coming your way.

Mama to 12, and 9 and 3. 
#3 of 8 Old 07-13-2003, 09:46 PM

Hi Christina,

Here's a wash system that's basically geared for laundromat washing but would be helpful in your situation. First you'll have to dunk your diapers. Soak your diapers in hot water and a little bit of detergent either in the bathtub or a pail. Please make sure to take precaution so your baby can't get to them. Soak the diapers for about hours or more depending on how many you have. Rinse and squeeze dry your diapers. If you can hang in the sun that will help kill germs as well as deoderize. If not, hang over the shower bar or even throw in the dryer to dry. This will definately help keep the diapers from smelling and from mildewing. If after a week or so and you HAVE to go to the laundromat then you can take your half-clean diapers instead of stinky, wet diapers. You can also wash all your dipes in the big commercial machine (If they have one) to help save on money as well.

HTH!
#4 of 8 Old 07-13-2003, 09:58 PM

No advice...just a hug

Sorry you have stress over this...I hope you find a solution soon, Christina.
#5 of 8 Old 07-14-2003, 08:09 AM

If you live anywhere near Southern Maryland you can come wash at my house Once a couple of years ago, we completely ran out of money and didn't have $$ to wash at our apartment's laundrymat. So for a month I washed clothes in the bathtub. I would soak them overnight in hot and a tiny bit of detergent. Then in the morning scrub them with my hands, empty the water and fill up again to rinse 2X, then sqeeze them out as best i could and hang them on the shower rod. Be careful squeezing cause after a while you will get blisters on you hands. And also dont overload your shower rod or the 2 hrs. you've spent squeezing will be wasted when the shower rod falls down and they all fall back into the rinse water:
#6 of 8 Old 07-14-2003, 08:29 AM

Can you ask your neighbors for water? I'd bet they come running to your rescue! Even a local church would help you out, even if you aren't a member and don't agree with their philosophy. Seems to me the landlord could be in major trouble by letting this happen and not fixing it right away. Clean water is a necessity, not just for washing diapers!
#7 of 8 Old 07-14-2003, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I think I will just have to soak them in the tub and do them by hand intil the weekend comes and I can give them a good wash at my in laws with there city water.

Mom to  Rachel 15 Kimberly 12 Chloe 10 and Nathaniel 8
#8 of 8 Old 07-14-2003, 11:14 AM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page