OMG! Another good reason for cloth! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 07-13-2003, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're still using sposies till I can get a system going with cloth. Well, I took out her diapers today and sat them on the back porch intending to tell DH to carry them around (do you see where I'm going with this?). Well, I forgot and we let the dog out right when we got back from the store. Not even 5 min later she had half of them pulled out, ripped open, and was eating the "usings"off of them. Not only that but she had ripped open a unrinated diaper and was eating the little cystals out of it!!! I have no idea what this will do to her. I had no idea she could do so much damage so fast either. I feel like a big dumby. I hope I can get the cloth stuff set up soon. I'm almost there!

Ugh, what a mess.... Smelled so bad... Dog can be so smart and so stupid all at the same time.... Hope it doesn't kill her.... Can't imagine it hasn't happened before though...
#2 of 23 Old 07-13-2003, 08:40 PM

Call your vet!!!! Those super absorbant chemicals expand and can cause major problems. Even if your dog seems fine now, please call your vet. If even so they know in case he does get ill from it.
#3 of 23 Old 07-13-2003, 09:04 PM

those crystals can kill a dog. keep them far away from your pets from now on!
let us know what happens with the vet.
#4 of 23 Old 07-13-2003, 09:18 PM

I hope your dog is ok.

Jennifer
#5 of 23 Old 07-13-2003, 09:23 PM

Oh wow. I didn't know that. Good to know. Thanks!
#6 of 23 Old 07-13-2003, 09:35 PM

Poor, poor doggie! I hope she is okay. Get her to a vet asap.
#7 of 23 Old 07-13-2003, 09:35 PM

I have to agree with the others. DEFINITELY call your vet!! I hope your dog is OK. Please let us know.

mostly WAHM, sometimes WOHM to my : two boys.
#8 of 23 Old 07-13-2003, 09:49 PM

umm redundant of me but yes - call the vet right away and bring her in!! Those gel crystals being the "magical absorbant material" that they are can exand so much they could cause a blockage in his intestine.

Evil Sposies There was an Amity momma a few months ago whose puppy died from doing this very thing.
#9 of 23 Old 07-13-2003, 10:30 PM

My dog is even stupider, not only would he get into disposables(he never actually ate them, but chewed on them, getting the "good" stuff :Puke) but if a dirty cloth was left out(DH had this horrible habit of just leaving them on the changing table, and then waiting for me to take care of it) he'd lick it clean, or at least try too.
#10 of 23 Old 07-13-2003, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Please let us know how the visit to the vet went. That stuff kills animals.

I'm really feeling the love for my cat Max now (aka Floorpooper) and my guinea pigs who are caged and would have no interest in eating diapers anyway. Yikes!!
#11 of 23 Old 07-13-2003, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

I called poison control and they said it was no big deal and it shouldn't affect her. They said kids eat them all the time too. Can't imagine it's good a lot mind you, but he said it should pass right through her. Hopefully I won't have to worry about it in a few weeks.
#12 of 23 Old 07-13-2003, 11:35 PM

I know someone who's dog died as a result of eating a disposable diaper. One newborn sized diaper killed a large dog. I agree, call the vet now! I hope s/he's okay!
#13 of 23 Old 07-14-2003, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I called poison control and they said it was no big deal and it shouldn't affect her. They said kids eat them all the time too.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#14 of 23 Old 07-14-2003, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I called poison control and they said it was no big deal and it shouldn't affect her. They said kids eat them all the time too. Can't imagine it's good a lot mind you, but he said it should pass right through her. Hopefully I won't have to worry about it in a few weeks.
Well there goes my faith in Poison control!!

Vet Vet Vet!! You do have to worry about this - they are wrong. I'm really sorry your sweet dog did this.

And kids eat it all the time and are fine...Also sorry you got an idiot for a PC responder.
#15 of 23 Old 07-14-2003, 12:49 PM

My old dog use to get into my, um, "feminine products" in the trashcan (lets just say I don't use mama cloth). Now that was a nasty mess!

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#16 of 23 Old 07-14-2003, 01:47 PM

I think that PC was probably half right. A completely used disposable shouldn't be a huge problem. They probably assume that you wait several hours to change and that all the SAP would have already expanded.

After the SAP has expanded it is completely harmless. That being said, even dry SAP doesn't expand as much as you'd think and there isn't as much as you think inside the diaper (it's about a spoonful). The cotton filler is probably more harmful when ingested than used SAP.

I would call your vet to be absolutely sure, but I think that since the diaper was used the SAP isn't a huge risk to your dog. I hope she turns out to be A-OK.

(not an expert or a vet... just someone who spends a lot of time testing with SAP for a new project.)
#17 of 23 Old 07-14-2003, 02:22 PM

OMG! I agree with the majority, GO TO THE VET and have them check your dog over! They can detect any odd changes in normal functions in case the poison has already started to affect your animal. Especially if your dog is a small breed! I certainly wouldn't take the chance with my pet's life, or my child's for that matter. Poison Control is wrong, disposable diapers can kill.

Let us know what happens! I hope your puppy is ok!!
#18 of 23 Old 07-14-2003, 03:33 PM

I agree with poison control, your dog should be ok. I don't think diaper companies would put anything completely toxic in a diaper, HELLO, they would be sued constantly 'cause kids pick at their diapers and inadvertantly stick everything in their mouths. Everything on the market has to be pretty idiot-proof these days... Sad but true! Many a dog has eaten gel-filled diapers and feminine hygeine products, it's just a sick fact of life... LOL

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#19 of 23 Old 07-14-2003, 03:42 PM

The material in question is sodium polyacrylate. It's a polymer. Check out this website about this "magical gelling material".

It may not be "toxic", like in the way lead is toxic to our systems and brain, but agian, I don't think it's something you want in your dog's or baby's digestive system.
#20 of 23 Old 07-14-2003, 05:15 PM

Anyone else hear about the child that died from a sposie? P:rent put the baby down for a nap in just a diaper,the baby managed to tear it open. Being curioius, the babe shoved it inside stuff in his mouth, some got in his nose. The poor child suffocated to death on his own diaper!

So I'm sorry but after hearing numerous stories about pets dying and hearing a child did too, I don't feel disposibles are safe. The posion control person was uneducated. Just curios, did you call the human p.c. or the pet p.c.?
#21 of 23 Old 07-14-2003, 05:16 PM

Anyone else hear about the child that died from a sposie? Parent put the baby down for a nap in just a diaper,the baby managed to tear it open. Being curioius, the babe shoved it inside stuff in his mouth, some got in his nose. The poor child suffocated to death on his own diaper!

So I'm sorry but after hearing numerous stories about pets dying and hearing a child did too, I don't feel disposibles are safe. The posion control person was uneducated. Just curios, did you call the human p.c. or the pet p.c.?
#22 of 23 Old 07-14-2003, 05:40 PM

what if a cat got into one??? would it kill a cat???? my friend has several cats and her dd uses sposies...
#23 of 23 Old 07-14-2003, 06:01 PM

from the link that Jesse gave -
Quote:
LARGE DISPOSABLE DIAPER can hold half a gallon of water. Superabsorbents are the secret.

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page