Help!! cloth diapers that won't absorb! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-13-2003, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have used a diaper service for the past 18 months, but they have crappy customer service and irritated me one too many times, so we decided to buy our own. I bought unbleached Chinese prefolds, which is what we used before, except bleached. They don't absorb well at all!! Even if DD's diaper is not very wet at all, the diaper cover, which are the same and her clothes get quite wet and stained.

I washed them first 5 times as instructed. Any ideas? I have 2 dozen. I don't really want to have to get something else, but I can't have her soaked through all the time and this was never a problem with the service. Help please!!
#2 of 6 Old 07-13-2003, 09:33 PM

are diff. I would wash with water as hot as you can. If you turn your water heater up higher (just remember to turn it back) that will help. For some reasons the unbleached CPF seemed to have oils in it much like hemp does....

HTHs and I am sure someone else wll post more suggestions to you. It has been awhile since I used cloth.

Sherry
#3 of 6 Old 07-13-2003, 09:33 PM

Did you wash them on very HOT water and dry them inbetween washes? If so, try washing a few more times or even boiling them. UBCPFs take a lot of washes to break in.
#4 of 6 Old 07-13-2003, 10:54 PM

My unbleahced dipes seemed to take FOREVER to reach maximum absorbency.....I would say wash several more times...I also think I would use more detergent than I normally do for my dipes, but before you start using them on baby, make sure they are rinsed well.
#5 of 6 Old 07-13-2003, 10:57 PM

TIDE!!!!! It takes the oils out of those sukers quick....they wont reach max absorbancy till like about the 10 wash or so but you will be impressed once they do....

:My 7 year old boy Ari, my fun loving husband and my life!
#6 of 6 Old 07-13-2003, 11:17 PM

I had to boil mine before they would absorb. I washed/dried them 6 times in very hot water and the first time I used them it ran right off them! Just boil them. Trust me. One time worked.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page