Do babies get "hot" in a pocket-style PUL at night? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-13-2003, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We always used wool covers at night. I was wondering if baby gets "hot" in that non-breathable way from a Happy Heiny or Fuzzi Bunz?

What is your experience?
#2 of 10 Old 07-13-2003, 11:16 PM

I know my kids got hotter in PUL covers than wool- so I guess they'd be hotter in pocket dipes, too. Wool seemed to be the coolest in my non-scientific test of sticking my hand inside the cover in the morning.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#3 of 10 Old 07-14-2003, 12:06 AM

Okay, this was of concern for me with Kenny a while back b/c in his size Small FBs his scrotum seemed to be low when I changed him and there was a lot of heat. I have since learned that when relaxed a boy's scrotum will drop anyway . . . so that was a relief to know. There is a difference in heat though.

When Kenny goes to bed in cpfs and a wooly wonder or a fuzbomb I find that his skin is cooler, but clammier b/c of the moisture that touches him on the cpfs.

When Kenny goes to bed in a HH or an FB, his skin is not clammy, but is a bit more hot.

So, there is a give and take there, but I wouldn't think that there is a huge difference, though there IS a slight difference.
#4 of 10 Old 07-14-2003, 12:07 AM

It hasn't been a problem and we use Happy Heiny's at night. I think because of the microfleece, dd's bottom seems so dry and cool in the am. It's usually cool here at night anyway, except this week! Cpfs under PUL seem to get much hotter. Haven't tried wool at night yet so I can't compare.
#5 of 10 Old 07-14-2003, 12:34 AM

I've gotta say for us that the PUL pocket diapers make ds too hot for my taste. I've since switched him to only all-fleece pocket diapers or the beloved .

It's just my personal preference though.
#6 of 10 Old 07-14-2003, 12:57 AM

and that is why I use wool at night, well I use wool all the time now but I did use pul sometimes. Just now wool comes in every size, style and with all kinds of cuteness on the bum of them so I use wool. He never has a hot bottom with wool but with a fuzibunz or a pul diaper he does. Do not use them much but he does get hot!
#7 of 10 Old 07-14-2003, 01:59 AM

I haven't tried wool at night, but when dd wears her wool during the day when I change her she is usually soaked in her FB's and HH's she is usually dry (and I keep her in the HH/FB for usually 4 - 5 hours). She only wears pocket diapers to sleep and she never wakes up sweaty or too hot IMO (and I live in a HOT climate).
#8 of 10 Old 07-14-2003, 02:31 AM

Well my experience with the Happy Hein. was great i mean...He didnt feel hot or anything in the morning i like the solids more than the prints though they do seem much more breathable...but i do preffer wool though...i dont know just a personal prefference i think its just my mind playing with me though cause since its so hot and humid down here i just have freak outs that hes HOT!!! Thats why the pul covers i buy arent completely PUL i HATE PRORAPS....now when i took those off his bum was hoooootttt....

:My 7 year old boy Ari, my fun loving husband and my life!
#9 of 10 Old 07-14-2003, 09:40 AM

I'm thinking they have to be hotter. My son had a rash for months until I stopped putting him in anything with PUL.
#10 of 10 Old 07-14-2003, 10:23 AM

Henry wears only pocket dipes & NEVER EVER has a rash or anything. I guess on a hot day his bum may be warm, but with wool, I had to have triple the bulk so I imagine that was hot also.
For me, the rash free, leak free system has become the priority so it's whatever is important to you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page