okay heathersanders......... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-14-2003, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we just completed our 16 hr drive and we tried your suggestion of hanging to dry over an air cond. unit. we even used flat folds..... it didn't work what did i do wrong?: i pinned to a towel and then to the drapes, directly over the vents of the unit. we did this the first night and it didn't work.

i was really bummed.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2003, 12:01 PM

Okay, beginning to end . . . b/c this really DID work for me.

How did you wash - how wet were they when you hung them up. When did you hang them up? How many hours were they allowed to dry. Was the air conditioning 'moving' them.

Because - egads, if this doesn't work for you - and it only worked for me . . . I need to know the 'why' behind that for certain! I don't want to be posting faulty information!

Anyone else tried this or a semblance of this?
Old 07-14-2003, 12:07 PM

When we were in India we dried any damp dipes by rolling them up in the car windows and letting them flap in the breeze! Bet that made quite a sight! lol!

Anyway, I'm wondering if it has something to do with humidity at that hotel, and also if it was a swamp cooler or a real a/c unit? How dry they are would make a difference too. Did you hang them very wet, or roll them in a dry towel first to get the moisture out?

Sorry it didn't work for you. :-(

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 07-14-2003, 12:15 PM

Darshani - that is soooo smart . . . rolling them in a dry towel. I let Jeff wring ours out and he would wring and wring and wring until they didn't drip a lick. And yes, I would imagine the humidity in the place would have a lot of 'play.'

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 07-14-2003, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

okay, 1. these were gauze, see through, flat folds ( should dry if you blow on them ) 2. washed in hot in the tub with a dash of sportwash, rinsed in cold. 3. wrung out and definately not wet when hung. 4. air was blowing directly on them. they wafted up and down and around. 5. hung for almost 9 hrs or so.

the bottoms were pretty dry of a bunch, the tops were still damp of some and some were still just too wet. we were in atlanta, maybe it was humidity : we ran the air all night (had to keep it set pretty low). dh slept with blankets on,hehehe ........

my goal had been to just use and wash the same dipes for the driving so that i wouldn't have laundry to do as soon as we got here. so, what's the first thing we did after we said our hellos and had something to eat? a load of diapers also, we are going to stay a couple of nights at hotels and i wanted to simplify as much as possible.......................

tell me, oh wise one, what did i do wrong?:
Old 07-14-2003, 12:38 PM

It must have been humid where you were as opposed to dry where Darshani and Heather were? I can hang thick diapers here in my house when it is 5% humidity and I swear my prefolds will be dry in an hour- thicker diapers maybe two. At my MILs house in the midwest it sometimes took two days or more for my diapers to dry. I dunno if that is it but maybe:
Old 07-14-2003, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wonder if the a/c was blowing damp, cold air? Or if just the fan setting would work better??

Glad you trip is going well! I hope we can meet up!
Old 07-14-2003, 12:56 PM

I just got back from vacation, where I spent 2 weeks on an island with no washer and drier. I brought all my CPFs.

During the really humid days, nothing would get the diapers dry!! I had them in the sun ALL DAY then at night hung them on a makeshift clothes line in the house with fans set on high blowing right on them all, and still in the morning they were damp!

Luckily, I have enough dipes to get by while I waited for the drying. On the not humid days, the diapers would be dry in 3 hours outside on the clothes line!

I don't think it was anything you did or did not do, I bet it was the weather and the humidity

Kristina; wife to Max, Mom to Tristan (17) and Zackariah (7) and Lillian (5)
Old 07-14-2003, 01:07 PM

Yes, humidity would be a factor, but it has to be the humidity in the actual room, because we did this in a hotel room here in Augusta, GA - and Atlanta is not significantly more humid. :LOL

Wow, gauze flatfold??? I too could dry those without an a/c in a matter of a couple of hours. I am so at a loss for why that would not have worked.

I know that in my dorm room in college it was 'damp' in the room. Did you notice a difference in your room?

I really hate that you tried it based on my recommendations and it did not work! , I feel so responsible!
Old 07-14-2003, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

heather, it's not your fault ......... i was just looking for the easiest way to travel. we have ALL of our dipes with us. so, i just busted out the prefolds for sat and sun. when you live in humidity (fl= 100 % humidity) it's hard to notice a change unless the difference is HUGE!!!!

rebecca- we tried drying with both the fan and the air. i guess i'll have to chalk it up to the weather!:

thanks everyone for your input. i guess i'll try again when we head up to ct. there has GOT to be less humidity up there!!!!!!

User Tag List