What is the best washer for cloth diapers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-21-2007, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello,

My DH and I have decided to use cloth diapers for our new baby. We will be using cotton prefolds and PUL/fleece covers to start with. Our washing machine just broke (like I need that stress at 36 weeks pregnant : ) so my question is…..

Since we need to buy a new washing machine, which one is best for washing cloth diapers? The one we had before was a very old top load with maybe 2 settings: normal and delicates. Now they have all these different high efficiency, top loading, front loading and so on. It seems so confusing lol. We plan on using Allen’s laundry detergent.

Any suggestions on the best cloth diapering washing machine or is it more of a personal preference?

Thanks Mommies!
#2 of 5 Old 08-21-2007, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i like our front loader, but i do add some extra water to the wash cycle, and sometimes to the rinse. i noticed (but didn't buy) that you can get a front loader w/ an ULTRA HOT cycle which would be perfect for washing dipes, but my DH drew the line... and the front loader does a very nice job of washing regular clothing while using significantly less water. and you need less detergent, and i have heard your clothes last longer because they aren't being twisted around the agitator pole thingy...
#3 of 5 Old 08-21-2007, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Some people have problems with FLs; I never have as long as I use extra rinses.

I really love the internal water heater.

(my machine is European so a specific recommendation won't be much use)

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#4 of 5 Old 08-22-2007, 01:32 AM

We have a Kenmore He4 front loader, and I LOVE it. We have washed cloth dipes for previous babies in laundromats, crummy coin-op apartment machines, and a junky old 20-year-old machine in our previous rental. The He4 is such a gigantic improvement. It has a "sanitary" cycle that superheats the water, and that's what I use for CDs. I also program in a prewash and a second rinse. The diapers come out smelling clean and fresh, it's wonderful.
#5 of 5 Old 08-22-2007, 07:21 AM

i just posted about my amazing experience with a friend's miele front loader

i'm sure it's expensive, but it has got to be the best washer ever!

good luck.

Wife to the man I never expected, DS born at home '07, '08, baby girl born at home Oct '09!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page