Mold on my diapers......how do I make it go away? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-14-2003, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Caroline was extremely sick last week with some kind of tummy virus - vomiting, diarrhea, all the yucky stuff. Anyway, on Friday we had plenty of diarrhea diapers that I swished, then threw in the pail. She was admitted to the hospital for the weekend because she was so dehydrated and the diapers sat in the pail until this morning. I went to wash them and they have mold spots on them. *sob*

Is there anyway to get rid of mold without using bleach?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-14-2003, 07:58 PM

Aw, that sucks Mama! I hope Caroline is feeling better!

As for the diapers, I don't know for sure but you could try doing a hot wash with some tea tree oil (maybe a little extra)--the hot hot water might help, you can also put them in the sun, I know right now here in TX an old-style LittleLambs I have that usually takes FOREVER to dry in the dryer was dry in under 1.5 hours under the sun --off point, lol, but the sun can bleach out any stains that might be left form the spots you see and it is a natural sanitizer as well. I would put them out after they are dry though because of the mildew/mold on them.

I'm sorry I don't know for sure but I hope this helps some and at least gives you a starting point!
#3 of 9 Old 07-14-2003, 08:34 PM

I hope Caroline is all better.

Mold is hard to get out. Mabey try a peroxide bleach?
Good luck!

-BelovedBird

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#4 of 9 Old 07-14-2003, 09:04 PM

I just wanted to say that I hope your daughter is feeling better! How scary for you both!

I had mildew (BADLY) on some clothes that came back from Disney World with an odd hotel wash cloth sitting next to them (hmmmm....WHO put THAT in there? ). I tried EVERYTHING and finally decided to use bleach, and it did take it out. As much as I HATE the stuff, I was willing to try anything as these outfits were very special to me.

I hope you can get it out!
#5 of 9 Old 07-14-2003, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

I will try TTO, hot water and some sunning and see where I end up. Worst case scenario I will use the bleach. I am just so squeamish about using it on diapers because of how closely they are touching her, and where.

She is feeling quite a bit better now. She still has diarrhea, but she hasn't vomited since Saturday morning. The IV fluids helped tremendously. She really wasn't fond of the IV, but she was really brave and sweet. Also, as strange as it sounds, it was kind of nice for her, daddy and I to spend the weekend together while the older girls got spoiled at grandmas house. Since she's the 3rd she doesn't usually get much alone time with us.

Thanks for your kind thoughts about her.
#6 of 9 Old 07-14-2003, 10:51 PM

I had white mold on some diaps because I went away for a week and was stupid enough to ask DH to do a tiny load of diaper laundry while I was away....guess who didn't....

The diaper with the mold ended up ripping within about 3-4 washes (it was SSI flannel)...hopefully your diaper fares better! It was a very sad day for me because it was a discontinued print!

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#7 of 9 Old 07-15-2003, 12:00 PM

buttermilk or lemonjuice and sunning has ben suggested here before...I would also try oxyclean.
#8 of 9 Old 07-15-2003, 12:40 PM

Man oh man, I wish I knew!!! I found mold on DD's favorite blanket and 2 bibs this week and I'm on my fourth day quest trying to get it out. . .

I've tried:
lemon and sunning. . .and lime and sunning when I ran out of lemon. . .
washing in cold, hot, and everything in between
stain stick
and now it's soaking in Ruth Yaron's super stain remover: BLEACH and Diswasher detergent. . . we'll see what happens.

Yaron also suggests, for mold or mildew, using hydrogen peroxide. It might be worth a try????? Good luck!

Honestly, I'd try (if it were my dipe)
lemon juice and sunning
peroxide
and last but not least Bleach and dishwasher detergent -- but DON'T TRY IT UNTIL I GET BACK TO YOU ON HOW WELL IT WORKED!!!!

-M

Monica, mom to Lilly (7) and Carter (4) and rainbow baby Elsa (11/27/10).
#9 of 9 Old 07-15-2003, 10:16 PM

the lemon juice and sunning never did it for us, neither did the tto

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page