Why start with disposables? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 07-14-2003, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've read on other boards about moms that start out with disposables then go to cloth. Why would you do this? Is it just because of the new mom overload/ learning curve factor? :

I'm really against disposables, but I don't want to overload myself in the first few weeks.

What's been your experience?
#2 of 28 Old 07-14-2003, 07:49 PM

Well, I started with sposies because I just never even considered cloth when I was pregnant. I had no idea there were all these wonderful options out there. I switched when DS was 3 months. Truth be told though, when I have another newborn, I MAY consider sposies again for the first month or so since I will have a c-section and I just don't know that I can keep up with all the washing a newborn would require.
#3 of 28 Old 07-14-2003, 07:53 PM

For us, we didn't want to deal with trying to find diapers that fit on a newborn's skinny legs...and doing the wash and dealing with the "hassle" that cloth would be.

We were wrong, though - and will cloth from day one this time around!

(Oh - and meconium stains were a concern the first week or so)
#4 of 28 Old 07-14-2003, 07:56 PM

Most are worried about the mec. stains but a lot of pople find that they wash right out and a lot of people also just get some cheap fleece inserts to use until the mec. passes.
#5 of 28 Old 07-14-2003, 08:11 PM

I planned to use cloth, but I was worried about the whole mec. issue too. I quickly found that my "little" newborn peed out of the sposies EVERY TIME!! I was changing diapers & outfits. I switched to cloth after a couple of days of more laundry than I would have ever done with cloth. It wasn't worth the worry. Never looked back since.

There are many valid reasons to begin with sposies, but I found I would have been much better off just stickin' with my prefolds from day one.

Good Luck!!

Angela: Mum to 3 & wife to the man in the funny suit.

#6 of 28 Old 07-14-2003, 08:28 PM

DS had a disposable (nature boy and girl, that I brought with) on him at the birthing center, but I soon realized that they weren't necessary for the meconium. I used mostly Fuzzi Bunz in the beginning and it all came right off.
#7 of 28 Old 07-14-2003, 08:36 PM

We used disposies on dd 1 because we thought the cloth looked too bulky. We switched after about a week.
We did cloth from the start with dd 2 and that is what we will always do. I had no trouble getting meconium out at all. was a non-issue for us. It was bulky, of course..what isn't on a newborn. But I never want disposies on any of my newborn babies. There is no real reason not to start with cloth, IMO. The laundry could be an issue, but I say just get dh to do it for a bit.
#8 of 28 Old 07-14-2003, 08:38 PM

I did because I didn't know much about cloth. I bought a lot off of ebay and it was all too big. We didn't switch over until she was a bit older and could fit into the stuff I bought.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#9 of 28 Old 07-14-2003, 08:46 PM

I used to be more of a purist with the cloth but maybe I'm just getting older or don't have as much energy or something. Anyway, we are probably going to use sposies for the first week or so because:

a) we won't have any family/friends to help (2 week retreat period)

b) If I'm as sore this time as I was with Abi I won't feel like doing much other than sitting on my special pillow.

c) I don't trust dh to wash the dipes properly. He hardly knows how to operate it even with instructions. He's willing but I don't trust him. lol!

d) we can't afford a whole set of newborn covers and dipes. They are outgrown so quickly, we are going straight to small covers and OS dipes.

e) we only have 26 dipes and would be washing every day to keep up with a newborn.

f) I'm expecting some major breast/bfing problems again (long story) and will probably end up pumping exclusively again. Will be in survival mode.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#10 of 28 Old 07-14-2003, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have had a niece an nephew live with me the first 5-9 months of their lives and both in sposies- Although my sister used cloth wipes. I didnt want even one spose touching my baby- yuck!! So I ordered the preemie CPF'ds and I would get some small or x-small whisper pants (I have never had a leak with those). I am blessed with a DP who always made me feel like it was just another day- even the day of our DD birth. This was very helpful in keeping me from feeling overloaded and diapers were never a problem. I got my self all excited about my cloth diapes and even made some covers to take to the hospital. I brought my own cloth to the hospital so that all the nasty soap the hospital uses was not on my DD bum. I would say you should get plenty of diapes- I would use CPF'ds in the smallest size because they are so small before they start getting all that baby chub. But it is not big deal- try to get excited about having your baby in cloth and look at it as "I get to do fluffy laundry"- it is fun- I swear!
Good luck- and try not to feel overloaded- it is a magical time and just think you will not have to be all stressed out having to run to the store in the middle of the night because you ran out!!
Best wishes for a happy healthy cloth baby!

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#11 of 28 Old 07-14-2003, 08:59 PM

While Preg. I planned on using cloth but my ds was supposed to have some serious birth defects that I was focused on mre than what he would poop in.
He came out perfect to our wonderful surprise and I got back into using cloth.

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#12 of 28 Old 07-14-2003, 09:06 PM

For me I knew I was going to use cloth, so I bought my supplies ahead of time but started out using disposables until the umbilical cord fell off. For me, I was not going to spend the money on a newborn system to use a few weeks. Also I had a HORRENDOUS experience with bfing which resulted in me quitting (long story and I am still devastated) and I am glad I didn't use cloth in the early weeks, I personally was overloaded, mentally, physically, emotionally.

For my next babe I will probably start with disposables again even though I would love to make a bunch of newborn diapers. I have to know my limits and since I have made the commitment to myself that bfing WILL work out next time, I need to make life as simple as possible. JMHO
#13 of 28 Old 07-14-2003, 09:30 PM

I started with disposables the first week with my first because I had diaper service an everything was too big-- she was tiny in spite of being late. I just have small babies. I had dd in the huge wraps intermingled with the disposables and as she grew into the covers we went to all cloth.

The second time I used some disposables the first week because again my stuff was too big. I had him in cloth by the end of that week even though it was up to his armpits.

I'm not having any more babies, but if I did, I'd start in cloth because now I know how to get hold of smaller dipes and covers.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#14 of 28 Old 07-14-2003, 09:37 PM

i used cloth for my first out of ignorance more than anything, didn't know how nice little cloth dipes are... for my others, we did the reverse, cloth for a long time, then disp's in the few last months before potty training when we were away from home. this is mostly because of heavy wetting with toddlers. i discovered some of the super absorbent aoi's very late in my last child's diapering career, and the exhorbitant cost of them made them impossible. 7th generation disp's did the trick for the final few months, they are nice, unbleached and soft.
#15 of 28 Old 07-14-2003, 10:06 PM

I guess I consider myself fortunate to have big babies. I never bought newborn anything, always went straight to smalls. My babies were all around 10lbs at birth, so they fit into smalls very nicely.

I used cloth from the time my hb babies were about 2 hours old. Usually start with CPF's and wraps. I never had a meconium stain that the sun couldn't handle.
#16 of 28 Old 07-14-2003, 10:26 PM

I think its like anything else, once you make your mind up this is what you are going to do regardless, then you just do it without thinking about, "oh so and so would be easier". I have never once thought about putting a disposable on my baby. And not because i'm all miss high and mighty budda on the mountain top, but because i'm very committed to cloth. Same with labor--i went in determined to have a natural labor MY WAY, and there was no exceptions, and not once did it occur to me "this may get too painful and i might have to get an epidural". Uh, did i get a little T sorry:
#17 of 28 Old 07-15-2003, 01:13 AM

Well, we used 'sposies for about the first 2 weeks, because a strange thing happened...... after 25 hours of this odd mega-squeezing sensation, a large object with a 13.5" head (which felt like a porcupine) came out of a very small space After that, a strange substance started to leak from my ears... i think it was formerly known as my brain! It was put in the dish with the placenta (and I think it's gradually growing back). Additionally, someone decided it would be a great idea to put about 4382 stitches in my nether-regions, only allow me 3 hours of sleep for 3 days straight, then send me home with a newborn.

So, needless to say, despite the fact that I don't even OWN a 'sposie, and would rather wrap my baby's bum in dish towels and tin foil than put an icky fake diaper on her, I did use them in the beginning. At about 2 weeks we got sick of changing our sheets every day when they leaked (well, acutally my mom left & she wasn't there to change them anymore :LOL) so we got smart and used cloth.
Amy
#18 of 28 Old 07-17-2003, 02:53 AM

I didn't consider cloth until a ocuple months in, but here's why I would still start with disposables for a firts baby

1) if you haven't done cloth before, now is not the time to expiriment with washing routines, folding, and all the different brands

2) say you stock up on one "system" and it doens't work for you- you'll have to use disposables while you order a new kind.

3) DH was intimidated by diaper-changing enough as it was- and cloth alone when that time came. To maximize his help, it's good I didn't overload him.

anyway, I think this is mroe for 1st babies than ones down the line, when you're expeienced with new babies and CD already.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#19 of 28 Old 07-17-2003, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ctdoula
Well, we used 'sposies for about the first 2 weeks, because a strange thing happened...... after 25 hours of this odd mega-squeezing sensation, a large object with a 13.5" head (which felt like a porcupine) came out of a very small space After that, a strange substance started to leak from my ears... i think it was formerly known as my brain! It was put in the dish with the placenta (and I think it's gradually growing back). Additionally, someone decided it would be a great idea to put about 4382 stitches in my nether-regions, only allow me 3 hours of sleep for 3 days straight, then send me home with a newborn.
:LOL! I vaguely remember something similar happening to me...

I switched to cloth when Cole was 5 months old. I just didn't realize it was an option before then. Now I will use cloth from the get go with our next babe. I'm older and wiser, LOL.
#20 of 28 Old 07-17-2003, 03:35 AM

Well, I believed that old study that cloth was just as bad for the environment as disp., so that is what we used. I found adjusting to life with a newborn exceptionally hard, despite my Dh being home full-time for 3 months (what will I EVER do next time?).

I'm thinking for the next baby we will use a diaper service in the early weeks since it's the same cost as disp. here, anyhow. Of course I'd like to have some cute ones on hand for showing off. Then probably switch to having our own once I can manage life again.
#21 of 28 Old 07-17-2003, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cchrissyy

2) say you stock up on one "system" and it doens't work for you- you'll have to use disposables while you order a new kind.
Yes. It's easier now with the internet- but still takes time. Especially if you need a newborn size and only have smalls in covers. By the time you get the newborn size in the mail, you'd need the smalls anyway.

#22 of 28 Old 07-17-2003, 09:13 AM

We had been planning on starting in disposies, because we did not have enough money to build a stash of both newborn and small dipes. My first baby was fairly large, and we knew our son was on track for being big, so it seemed like a waste to buy newborns anyway. The idea was that the disposies would hold him over until he could fit into the smalls.

Well, he came out weighing 9 lbs, 4 oz, and he fit very well into some small fitteds that I had ordered from Granny's Ark. Thank goodness that I had ordered a dozen. And thank goodness Pam and Wanda made them a little smaller than their usual smalls. I tried prefolds and Bummi's, but I couldn't get them to fit him properly until he was a bit older.

Bear in mind, that I have an easy time with birthing, and lots of help for the first couple of weeks. I also did my homework, and was ready with written instructions for a washing routine.
#23 of 28 Old 07-17-2003, 09:22 AM

I started with disposables because I didn't know any better, and I really believed it when everyone told me they were easier.
I switched to cloth recently, and will cd newbaby when the time comes, from day one.

ONE, disposables did not hold in those early breastfed poopie blowouts, no matter what brand or size I tried! I was changing DD's clothes, blankets, my clothes, sheets, etc. at least four times a day! ICK! I'd much rather have some stained Kissaluvs or prefolds than stained everything else.
TWO, cloth isn't really any harder or more work than disposables, in my opinion. With either, you still have to learn how to get the thing on just right to prevent leaks and to fit your particular baby. Since the poopie blowouts meant I was doing laundry every day, cloth diapers wouldn't have made a difference in that respect at all.
THREE, cloth diapers are easier to customize the fit. My little bitty baby girl just never did fit quite right in premie, newborn or size 1 sposies.
FOUR, cloth is so much less expensive in the long run.
FIVE, the unbleached cloth diapers don't contain toxins like dioxin (produced during the bleaching process), which have been linked to all sorts of horrible disorders, like endometriosis, which I have. If there's anything in my power that I can do to reduce the risk of my babies living in pain their entire reproductive lives, I'm going to do it.
#24 of 28 Old 07-17-2003, 10:30 AM

Originally we had planned to cloth diaper the twins beginning at 15 pounds. This was so we could get BF established and develop a routine. Well we only came home with one baby and major feeding issues, failure to thrive and eventually her heart problem. I didn't even think of cloth. I just existed. Around 4 months I started trying but of course I had planned to cloth at 15 pounds (and she wasn't 15 pounds til closer to 6 1/2 months) so I had to borrow some smalls and buy a few to get us through. But once I got started I never looked back.

I don't know what I will do if there is a next time. I probably won't buy an expensive newborn system either but I won't wait 4 months either.
#25 of 28 Old 07-17-2003, 11:15 AM

I did not plan to start out with disposables but my preemie daughter was 4 lbs 12 oz at birth and didn't even come close to fitting into the diapers I had bought for her. She was in the NICU for two and a half weeks; although I could have brought in cloth diapers to use with her, I was going back and forth every couple of hours (insanely pumping in between) and couldn't even think about ordering preemie size diapers, much less worry about being home when they were delivered (I live in NYC so just leaving the package is often not practical). I'm happy to say she is now growing like a weed and wearing a variety of dipes all of which I learned about on this board!

I agree that it could be difficult when starting out with a newborn for the first time to also be doing laundry, especially if (like me) you do not have machines in your house/apt. But I also agree with the poster who noted that disposables really do not contain the newborn poopy blowout well at all. Looking back at my son's clothes (I used disposables with him) I see so many stains. My daughter, on the other hand, has had maybe one or two blowouts and they were much smaller (due to positioning). So you could end up with a lot of laundry either way.

Beth, Mom to Benji 3/23/00 and Maggie 1/24/03
#26 of 28 Old 07-17-2003, 03:44 PM

For myself, I can sum it all up in one word...FEAR.

I was nervous about using cloth, even though we knew that we'd eventually get the hang of it. We used disposies exclusively until the meconium was gone, then started bringing cloth into the mix. Honestly I sometimes felt like throwing on a disposie was easier at first, and it was nice to have some handy for when I just didn't feel like dealing with which dipe and which cover or which AIO. With all the emotional upheaval of a first baby, I felt like I had enough to deal with! I know that sounds like a cop-out, but that's really how I felt. It was just kinda' overwhelming at first.

For the next baby, whenever that may be, we'll do cloth from the beginning (and maybe bring some to the hospital too).
#27 of 28 Old 07-17-2003, 05:26 PM
pip

I bought a whole lot of fitteds which were supposed to fit from 10lbs to 22lbs, so they were way too big for a newborn. I used sposies for the first month until he fattened up, and don't regret it. I couldn't justify the expense of newborn sized fitteds and covers, and was way too unsure to use prefolds. Also I found that for the first three weeks or so I was so busy looking at this gorgeous little creature, I didn't want to think about ANYTHING else. I can't even remember doing my own laundry although I guess it happened. I had a c-section and my laundry is outside
(basic I know) so the extra work wasn't worth it. By the time I started using cloth I had more energy to experiment and didn't worry so much about the odd leak 'cos by then I had learnt that sposies leak too!! I also could really appreciate that smug feeling as I breezed past the sposie aisle at the supermarket and didn't have to waste money on the horrid things

Go with whatever you feel happy with, and congrats on your impending mommiehood!
#28 of 28 Old 07-17-2003, 07:34 PM

It has been interesting to see that I'm not the only cding mom who used disposables because her baby was too small for her cloth diapering supplies. The second time I could have purchased a newborn system ahead of time, but I was guessing my second child would be bigger and fit the smalls... that wasn't the case... I was also too cheap to invest in diapers I might not use back then, and knowing nothing about diaper resale value.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page