Prefold Problems - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2007, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When DS3 was about 2-3 months old, I fell in love with my prefolds (regulars, I believe) for the first time really. I'd always had them as back up but suddenly I : them. We snappy them in newspaper fold mostly. I'm not into tri-folding them in a cover as I find that makes for a very leaky poop mess.

Now, at 6.5 months old, I'm not liking them as much as I want to. They are getting so wet, so fast and they are bunching up funny between his legs so that he is almost peeing on the cover instead of the diaper. I've tried different folds (bikini - he always gets his penis sticking out in that one; jelly roll, regular folding down the front fold - gotta love my technical language, lol!) but nothing has made a difference.

I've debated trying some toddler-sized ones as it is getting hard to snappy it around his chunky waist (although I imagine he'll thin out soon - he's about 19 lbs right now) but now I don't want to waste money on prefolds if I'm not going to like them anymore. Would premiums make that much of a difference?

My problem is that the main part of our stash is MEOS that have seen much, much better days. They are so worn they will not last through to his potty training days. They have gone through 3 children before him, so I'm not complaining. And boy, are they ever trim under clothes now! But realistically, I have to replace some diapers in the next few months (after DH is finished his parental leave so we have more money).

Long story short - prefolds: are premiums that much different that they would actually work for us? Is it unrealistic to consider using toddler-sized prefolds in order to still be able to snappy? Should I just give them up and wait to get new fitteds when we have more money? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Oh, and as an aside, I did get 6 ME Bamboo Sandies a while ago and I love, love, love them!! They are sooo soft and absorbent - they are thinner than regular sandies yet absorbe the same amount. Wish I had more cause 6 only go so far!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2007, 01:07 AM

you could always get a single toddler PF and see if you like it. I can sell you one that I have for my DD that I havent used if you wanna try it out, PM me if you're interested.

Premiums are thicker, but if you're having trouble snappi'ing them that wont make a difference since they're the same length and width as regulars.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:45 PM

Might you be using infant sized right now? Regulars would have been huge on my babe at 2-3 mos, but infants worked well. If so, a move up to regulars or premiums now would be a good move. IMO, toddler prefolds are huge and therefore very bulky, even on a toddler! Good luck!
Old 08-24-2007, 12:13 AM

That age was the peak of absorbency issues for us - basically the point where they're getting 99% of their calories as liquid.

We switched to premiums and it solved the absorbency. Then after a few months I trimmed them, to lose the bulk, and because the absorbency was more than we needed.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:37 AM

You could always add a doubler, too. I love my hemp doublers. Very absorbant.

Crystal
Old 08-24-2007, 03:34 AM

ditto on the doubler--and we go for premiums... I have a few regulars that I'll use during the day, but nothing beats a premium. And also, there are "toddler size" snappis out there--you might want to wrestle one of those up.

I frequently use toddler sizes on my 18lb. lady--makes a good nighttime diap.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

Old 08-24-2007, 05:21 AM

Doublers would be your cheaper solution I'd say. That's what I used. If you also have infant prefolds (the really small ones) you can trifold those and use them as doublers with your regular prefolds - I used some cotton fleece doublers I bought 4 years ago with mine (and still use them when I do prefolds with SJ).

There's just, as others have confirmed, a "mass liquid" point which babies hit at around this age, and 'til their diet gets less liquid-based this is what you're dealing with.

Not all who wander are lost.

User Tag List