What factors does one consider when taking disposables on vacation (or not) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am reevaluating my diapering needs for our trip to Walt Disney World. We are thinking of driving now, rather than flying (so I wouldn't have to check my diapers and risk them being lost).

Also, I have recently switched systems to cpfs - and I MAY even be able to bring enough diapers for the whole trip

Can I really wait to wash a weeks worth of diapers? Or, am I asking for trouble? LOL

Should I plan on washing once while we are at WDW? CPFs don't take long to dry, I can always put them through one cycle and then hang them in the hotel, right?

Or, should I just say forget it and get the wretched disposables?

What would you do?
#2 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 10:56 AM

Honestly I would love to never use cloth on vacation but for me that's not plausable. We usually take cloth if we're only gone a day or so. But I am not going to find a laundromat to do laundry. So we use disposables. But for me it's ok cause it really doesn't happen that much. So far she's only been in disposables for a trip once for 4 days when I went to Baltimore.

If I did do cloth on vacation I wouldn't wait a week to wash I would find a laundramat.
#3 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 11:12 AM

So far, the three times we've been away, we've had friends or family with washing machines either where we were staying or nearby. So we've used cloth. If I were you, I suppose I would see if there were a nearby laundromat or laundry facility, and if it were convenient, I would do the laundry while away. Otherwise, wow, a week of dirty dipes? Yuck. But then again, it is possible! Depends on how grossed out you will be with a bag of smelly cloth vs. how grossed out you will be putting sposies on your little one's bottom!
#4 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 11:19 AM
Banned

Well, I feel like a weenie for admitting this, but when we go to Atlanta next week for the day, I will be bringing sposies :. THis is because hauling a rambunctious toddler around the state all day is going to be stressfull enough without hauling around a big bag of wet AND dry diapers for the day. I judge how I should deal with diapers based on how it will affect my stress level and my enjoyment of the trip. Now, in August we will be going to Myrtle beach for a few days, and I will certainly bring cloth then.
#5 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 11:20 AM

Sandra...
We are going to use sposies for our trip to MI because won't have a very close laundromat. I probably would be taking our cloth if we had a washer in our cottage or even one we could walk to. I was a little freaked when I found out I was going to use sposies, but then I realized that my 5 year old was a completely sposie baby, so a week for Mason isn't going to be the end of the world!

In your case, I can totally see using sposies. I wouldn't want to be lugging dirties around with me all day in the Florida heat! I'd say the lighter you can travel while walking through the parks the better!
#6 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 11:20 AM

Short and sweet.

CDs are more convenient IMO (I know - some will say *huh?*)
Take Prefolds and several light covers (like a pull-on - they air dry exceedingly fast)
Take (3) small totes for when you are in Disney World . . . that way you can go back to the car or hotel room (if in the park) and drop them off when you get 3 or 4 in there. You are going to take 'breaks' anyway from the heat, to rest the feet, to eat . . . etc. . .
Take enough for the entire trip if you can.
At night, clothespin your nose and do the diaper dunk. I'm serious . . . get all poop off in the toilet .
Then rinse them ALL out in the tub with just water (even the pee ones - they can actually smell worse).
Lay over the side of the tub/curtain to dry.
This removes the acrid smell, makes them stack thin, lightweight and neat and helps you not retain any stains from your trip.

I HAVE DONE THIS! THIS WORKS!
Oh, and if you aren't washing them there and have enough, then you won't have to sweat getting them dry overnight somehow.

Edited to say: Also take (1) XL Tote to place the diapers in when you are done drying them. - - - >> Definitely wasn't suggesting putting them back in their original container! HA!
#7 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 11:42 AM

Where are you staying at WDW? I know for sure that all of the All Star hotels have coin op washers and dryers there. I would definately take my dipes with me but I wouldn't wait a week to wash. I would wash mid week and the night before I left. It would have to be a pretty extreme situation for me to consider using sposies but that is just me.
#8 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 11:47 AM

We are leaving for vacation on thursday and we thought about doing sposies but ds is so allergic to them that would just be unfair to him. We are going up to SLC so we are going to have to find a laundermat because the hotel we are staying at doesn't have laundry. But I really don't mind too much. I think it should work out. BTW Thank you heather so much for the tips, I will be printing them and doing them.
#9 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 11:57 AM

Factors I would consider are:

1) how long you will be gone
2) how many diapers you have
3) if you don't have enough to last the trip, if you have access to a washing machine (and consider that family may not be so eager to let you wash dipes in their machine)
4) how badly you want to use cloth instead of sposies

If it's hot and humid where we are going I try to bring cloth because sposies are hot and sweaty inside, and dd tends to get heat rash.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#10 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 12:03 PM

Here's my 2 cents
If your child does not have any problems with sposies then I'd say just take them and not worry about it.
Your trip is to have fun and relax, so why take time away from your trip to take care of the diapers. It would take considerable amt of time to go find a laundremat and sit there while they wash while you could be doing something else with your family.
In the long run you want to remember the fun times, not that you had to clean out a major blow out while the family went down swimming
You can return to CD the minute you get back and say ahhh-what a cute soft diaper butt while you look at all your souveniers! LOL
Have fun!
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#11 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I thought Heather's suggestions were great.

That being said, since I have all fitteds, we used mostly sposies when we went to Tan-Tar-A for four days last month. I'll tell you why:

a) I didn't know where any laundromats were in the area (and when I got there and saw it, I was sure glad I *wasn't* committed to washing there!

b) Even if I did wash them, I didn't think I'd ever be able to get them dry.

c) I'm scared that dipes will mildew if I leave them any longer than two days in the St. Louis humidity (can you imagine Florida????)

d) And honestly, I wanted to spend Marlena's naptimes relaxing with her instead of at the laundromat!!!

So I used sposies the first two days, and cloth the last two days. DH & I were really glad how it worked out. DH's only complaint was how thin and unsubstantial DD's bottom was in sposies. He thought it was hard to hold onto her without cloth "love handles". :LOL

Whatever you decide, have a GREAT time in Florida!!! I'm so jealous.

Best,
Nichole

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
#12 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 12:09 PM

I am struggling with this, too. We are going to Conn. and Maine and will be in 2 different hotels, and also camping for 3 days. We'll be gone for 9 days.

I have some sposies still in the closet so I am going to take those and use them up, and then by the end of the trip, use cloth.

I really don't want to use sposies, but I don't want to be stressed out by my diapers, either.

Gotta go check and see how many sposies I have left.... I really don't want to buy any more. That could be the same cost as a pretty fleece cover for me!! LOL!

Julie
#13 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 01:07 PM

Just something to consider. I use sposies mostly on my DD (she's in a Fuzzi Bunz now, though ) We recently took a 3 day vacation, and spent plenty of time in the cabin. I used all sposies, and DD got a rash from the heat. I had to use CDs when I got home to get rid of it. I think it was the combo of being in the car seat, and all of the heat that caused the rash. If your baby is used to the CDs I think it might be worse: Just something to think about. Have fun on your trip!!!
#14 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 01:13 PM

Check with the hotel you're staying in and make sure they ahve a washer/dryer. When you go back from WDW in the evening, throw the dipes in the wash, go back to the room, get the kids ready for bed, throw dipes in dryer. Take a shower, get dipes out of dryer We took cloth on a 6 week trip to Alabama, granted we were in a 2 bedroom apt. with washer/dryer, but we've used cloth on many trips. The only time we've used sposies is for the 2-3 day drive to where we're going(simply b/c I don't want wet/dirty dipes in my car in the heat) or when we know that there won't be a washer/dryer readily accessible.
#15 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 01:13 PM

We're supposed to be going to Mexico in December and staying with family for a month! I'm definitely using sposies there because his family does not have washing machines and it can be expensive to wash via washing machines there. I may take prefolds and covers but none of my good stuff ya know?!

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#16 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 01:51 PM

I just always take cloth- I like it, know how it works and do a little planning ahead of time. It really is easy to vacation with cloth. We find a hotel with a coin-op washing machine and its no biggie- just throw them in.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#17 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 02:02 PM

I always use cloth also. As Heather said things can easily be handwashed as long as you are not using AIO's

We spent 5 days at Disneyland in May. Used cloth the entire time. You will have to bring diapers into disney and the other parks either way. The only difference is you won't be making your load lighter with each change. Make sure you have a decent size wet bag you can bring into the park with you and just empty it when you get back to the hotel.
DD has a tinkerbell backpack, we filed that each morning with clean diaper and put the dirties in a wet bag after each change.

If using prefolds and covers you can handwash the prefolds/covers at night or throw them in the hotel laundry. I would first opt for the handwashing.

For camping, I always use my same system. Since pockets are so similar to prefold/covers they work just as well. I clean out every diaper then handwash, hang to dry and I'm set. I do this every evening that way I am never in a bind waiting for the diapers to dry.
We have done a 3 week vacation on the road using cloth exclusivly and currently have 2 trips planned, one is 2 week and 1 is 1 week. Both places do not have laundry facilities but I will use the above washing methods.

The only thing not to do is if you are staying in a hotel do not use a trashcan as a dirty bucket. The maids will surely throw them out.
#18 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 03:01 PM

Linda, what soap do you use when handwashing? I am starting to think I could cd full time on my vacation.... hmmm....

Julie
#19 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by detergentdiva
The only thing not to do is if you are staying in a hotel do not use a trashcan as a dirty bucket. The maids will surely throw them out.

Hmmm . . . speaking from experience?
#20 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 03:16 PM

I am trying to make the same decision right now. We are going away this weekend for 4 days and driving. We're staying in a place that has a washer/dryer, so it makes sense to bring cloth, but I just don't know that I want to spend my vacation time doing laundry. And, cloth DOES take up room. We are taking down all sorts of baby gear and food, so space in the car is limited. Sometimes sposies are just easier. I don't know what we'll do, but I need to decide soon, I guess.
#21 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 05:04 PM

Have you thought of maybe doing both?

For example, when you are in the parks, use disposibles. They don't take up much room so you won't be lugging around a ton of extra baggage (plus your load will be lighter after each changing) Maybe just pick up a small bag when you get there so you don't have to pack any?

The rest of the time use cloth. You will have less cloth to pack/carry/wash if you are only using it half the time and your baby won't have to be wrapped in paper the entire vacation.

Seems like you'd be getting the best of both worlds!
#22 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 05:10 PM

When camping I use my dish soap, easier to work in an rinse, when in a hotel I use regular detergent

Quote:
Hmmm . . . speaking from experience?
Unfortunately yes, thankfully it was just 1 diaper all the others were clean. The hotel did reimburse me

My personal opinion is no matter what you have to bring diapers. Prefolds and covers/pockets are pretty trim and take up not much more room then 'sposies. When using 'sposies you still have to lug the dirties around till you find a trash or if camping they are amongst your trash items at the campsite. The only difference is you can re-use the cloth.

Another thing to consider, if you take cloth and it doesn't work for you, you can always go to the store.
#23 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Well,

I tavel a lot with DD- and I only use UBCPF'ds. I could never ever ever ever put her in a sposie- What I would say is if you have enough to do laundry once or twice when you are there then bring as many PF'ds as you can and just keep them in a smell proof bag and wash them right before you go. This way you will not be having smelly laundry on the way home. WDW has laundry-mats there so you can do you wash. Maybe get up early and start the wash then put them in the dryer when you are getting the kids ready or when you go to eat breakfast they should be dry fast and then you will have no worries. I would also say if you really want to, bring all your diapes and also some sposies in case you feel like you want to use sposies- then you have both and will not feel like you are in need to run to the store or missing your cloth- you have both for what ever the event calls for.

Also, I have not had a dryer in 2 months and I only have 12 CPF'ds- I know, I know- I am nuts but it works for us (yet, I have ordered more!!) But what I am saying is that even if you have to lay the around the room you will be fine.

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
#24 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 05:28 PM

I brought my diaper pail in the car on our last trip and the night I handwashed the prefolds, used the diaper pail to soak them and wash them, then hung them- but they did not dry. The handwashing was not a problem- it was pretty easy- the drying was. It ended up taking two days to dry 6-ply regular prefolds- even outdoors on the balcony.

I used Dr. Bronner's lavendar soap.

If the hotel had heat or air-conditioning (like in the south) you could dry them easily overnight. I ended up using the coin-op in the hotel for rest of the 5-day stay.

21 prefolds (+covers) fit in the Land's End Deluxe diaper bag- stuffed that between the kids car seats (we have a small car) and the other dipes went in the backpack we used for on the beach.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#25 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 05:31 PM

We take cloth everywhere. We use prefolds too, and it's pretty easy to travel with them (and we've got twins, to boot!). I don't think it would be that bad to go a week before washing the dipes, especially if you rinse them out like Heather suggested. When we used a service, they only came once a week, and it really wasn't that bad. I don't know that I'dve wanted to ride in a car with 140 dirty diapers, but if you have a trunk then I think it would be fine.

Have fun!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#26 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 06:40 PM

Honestly I think disposables have their place. Isnt that what saving the environment should be all about, using resources WISELY? Unless your little one has an allergy to them or something like that, I would take them on vacation with you. When you're wondering around Disney World you only need to carry a couple of compact disposables and maybe a travel pack of commercial wipes, with a plastic bag or two, its much much easier when you dont have to carry the ever increasing load of dirty diapers around. I took disposables on our holiday because even though there was a laundry on site where we stay it would cost about $10 to get a load washed and dried and other people wanted to use the machine too - I think that's a consideration as well. Also, you may not be able to change quite as often as usual when you're out and about, and there's no denying, they are drier and probably more comfortable when worn for a long time.

Dont feel guilty or stress about it, its your vacation too.
#27 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by TheQueenHasSpoken
Have you thought of maybe doing both?...
Seems like you'd be getting the best of both worlds!
Amy - I LOVE this idea!!!!
That way we won't have to deal with dragging cloth around, but we can use *her* comfy diapes in the car and overnight - when she'll want to be as comfortable as possible!! YAY!!!

That's the solution, then!!!

Thank you!!
#28 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 07:19 PM

I'm using sposies right now, and it's helping me keep my sanity. I'm staying with my parents for a month while my dh is gone. The first week was CRAZY with a house-FULL of people and kids, 4th of July activities, etc. I managed to do cloth, but it was getting on my nerves with the laundry machine going 24hrs w/ everyone's stuff. So last week I bought a pack of sposies. We kept my brother's three kids for the week (mom and I) and I had my 19m old, of course. I couldn't take the stress of washing dipes and their stink. And he is having these gross poopies that don't wash easily, I hate to dunk, SUPER hard water leaving build-up, etc. So I'm taking a break for sanity sake. Next week I'll return to cloth (maybe!). It's just hard to be away from home, your routine, the stress of travelling, and having to deal with dirty diapers. Personally, dunking and washing by hand is too intimate for me! But if my ds had an allergy or something, I know I'd make it work.

Oh, and BTW, most hotels I've stayed at have a washer and dryer, so it's really easy to wash them if you decide to! Of course you can always call ahead and check!!

Thanks for letting me talk about this!! I'm feeling some guilt over enjoying the simplicity of it all, but I just love my cloth and their simplicity too. But for me, simplicity just goes out the window when I'm travelling!! It stresses me out!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!
#29 of 29 Old 07-15-2003, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I can't believe I misread your original post so badly, Sandra Dee. I honestly thought you meant you'd decided to not fly BECAUSE of your diapers! :LOL

Now *that* would be a true !

Hope you guys have lots and lots of fun!

Best,
Nichole

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page