Motivate me... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-15-2003, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I admit it... I'm a CD failure. I know why I am. I only bought about 6 FB, and 6 FB seconds. I stuff them w/ small prefolds, I have nothing to hold the dirty dipes, I don't have enough cloth wipes, I keep disposables in the house, so I use them So here I am... Ready to "convert" to real part time CDing I hate to invest much $$, so I'm thinking CPFs, and a few wraps. I'd also like to try some HHs. My small FB fit dd's legs on the loosest snap, but the waist is on the tightest snap setting: I have no idea what would actually fit right. This is what I'm thinking of getting:

2 hemp pfs
6 CPF regular
2 CPF premuim
2 med. bumkin wraps???
1 HH, and a JB to stuff it with

This is just to start with. Who has a good deal on this? Should I get something else? I really want it all to dry in one cycle in the dryer, so quick dry is a must. Any other recomendations would be appreciated :-)

Thanks!
#2 of 7 Old 07-15-2003, 03:00 PM

I would suggest getting more of the JB for stuffing rather than the prefolds--but thats just my biased opinion! LOL! I don't much care for the bulk of a prefold in a HH or FB--and the JB are much easier to stuff in there if you ask me! If you need more absorbancy, then 2 JB oughta do it.

Also, you might want some inexpensive fleece liners for the CPFs when you use them in the wraps. This way your baby's buns will stay dry like in the HH and FB. You can even buy your own microfleece and cut them to size yourself--it doesn't fray so there's no sewing invloved.

If you are planning to tri-fold the CPFs in the wraps, you might also want to consider getting more than 2. I really liked the Bummis wraps and they come in lovely fun prints. The feel is a little softer (less plasticky) than the Bumkins. The bumkins wraps, although they are supposed to be great, didn't work for me--left red marks on my baby's thighs--so you might need to try out a couple of different ones before you choose what to stock up on.

HTH!
#3 of 7 Old 07-15-2003, 03:14 PM

and I wanted CD'ing to be as easy as grabbing a sposie, I would get....

as many Happy Heiney's as you can afford
Joey Bunz to stuff them

There is nothing easier, in my opinion. I stuff my HH's with the Joey's as soon as they come out of the wash, then I can just grab one and have it on her in seconds. It is just as fast as a sposie, fits better than a FB, and the poop comes right off of the fleece.

Good luck with whatever route you go, though. I know a lot of people like CPF's, but I think they are kind of a pain.
#4 of 7 Old 07-15-2003, 08:37 PM

If you really want ease of use, I'd go all Happy Heiny's. Your child sounds just like Eliza - too big in the thighs for Fuzzibuns and you'll constantly be upsizing, whereas with Happy Heiny's and the aplix closure, the thigh fit is not a problem and the size range is huge. Medium fits 14-22 lb and I just looked up my boys health records adn they were not that weight until about 15 months, and Eliza is about 2.5 lb smaller at 4 months than they were, so Im anticipating about 18 months in one size.

I'd skip the prefolds and just go joeybunz, keep it all nice and simple and you cant go wrong. I keep disposables in the house too and am virtually never tempted to use them, they're just for the odd occasion that Im going away or am going to be out somewhere difficult all day, which virtually never happens anymore.

Baby washcloths do fine as wipes, I've found no need to buy anything fancy and I have a basic nappy bucket. A couple of bummis totes and a decent nappy bag and you're set to go.

I go cold all over when I think what I've spent getting set up, I must admit, but when you look at it logically, I probably dont have to spend anything else for almost two years.
#5 of 7 Old 07-15-2003, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

OKay I just ordered 6 HH, and a dozen CPFs. I have some hemp jersey, so I am going to try and make my own stuffers for now. I still have $40 to spend if I find something else I just *HAVE* to have. When I sell my current stash, I can get a few more HH, and some joeys. DH told me to go ahead and get 2 dozen if I was sure I'd use them, but I think I am better off just using what I have for now, and waiting to sell what I have. I still need a wet bag, and a few other things.

BTW, I just added up what I am spending a month on disposables, even using a coupon, and I am appauled Maybe I change her too often, but I am going thru about $15 worth of dipes, not counting wipes, a week. If I can just use 1/2 cloth, I can save myself $30 a month! I just spent $86 on the CPFs and the HHs, so using 1/2 cloth will put me even in 3 months!!!
#6 of 7 Old 07-15-2003, 09:12 PM

The only thing missing is some covers. I'd suggest at least four or six if you plan to use the cpfs you just ordered. I tried getting away with less, and that's when I ended up having to do two washloads in one day, especially before I got the hang of folding and pinning the cpf just right. With the way your baby is built, it might be best for you to find a WAHM who makes covers custom to baby's measurements. Hunnybuns comes to mind, and I love her covers, but I'm sure there are others.

Quote:
Maybe I change her too often, but I am going thru about $15 worth of dipes, not counting wipes, a week.
That's what I spent on sposies!
#7 of 7 Old 07-15-2003, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have 12 UBCPF'ds and that is all. I feel your pain of being short all the time. But unlike you I have no sposies in the house so I am just doing laundry all the time. I just ordered 20 more PF'ds and I love my whisper pants- very very cheap and I never have leaks. My DD is 15lbs and almost to big for the smalls- whisper pants tend to run big. I vote for PF'ds all the way and it is cheap!!!

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page