NB diapers - what to get - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-15-2003, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this question has been asked and answered numerous times in the past, but I couldn't find it when I searched so here I am. Please bear with me

I have a babe due in Nov. and I want to cd this one from the start. I just came into some extra money so I wanted to start buying some dipes for the little one. I started looking but got completely overwhelmed. What in your opinions are the best, and easiest to use (othewise dh will never change a diaper) kind of dipes to use on a little one. Also, what kind of covers work best? I used sposies with both my other little ones and always had problems with bf poopy blowouts. Is there a cover and/or dipe that will help to control that? There's nothing worse than being out somewhere and having one of those blowouts all the way up the back....

Any suggestions, experience, and help would be GREATLY appreciated here. Thanks ever so much!
#2 of 10 Old 07-15-2003, 03:14 PM

We are just having this issue in our house! LOL! Here is what we have decided so far . . .

First, since we didn't CD either of our other 2 from birth, we are going to have some 'sposies on hand for the first few days. I have 2 kiddos under 4 and I know my limitations! LOL! DH is more than willing, but both of us have decided to ease into cloth with this one since we've never CD-d a BF baby before. (Emma was 14 mo when we began with her).

Also, my babies are usually pretty big at birth (8lbs 4oz and 9lbs 3oz) so I am not purchasing any NB size anything--this has helped us keep costs down on the initial outlay but we do know we'll need 'sposies until he is ready for the smalls I have bought.

We also had trouble with major blowouts with the girls so we are excited to try cloth--I hear that so many people don't have BF poopy blowouts with cloth! To that end, we are buying mostly fitted dipes and wool or PUL covers. I do have a couple of teeny AIOs for outings and such, but I plan to mostly use the fitteds as I hear they contain BF poopy better! Snug leg elastic and gussets are the 2 things that I think help contain messy dipes the best, so look for diapers with those.

I like the wool cover option as it will allow the little buns to breathe, but I do have a few PUL covers too for times when I need toknow there will be no wicking!!! (I am a wool newbie so my faith level isn't quite as high as some of these other gals! LOL!)

For some cute dipes and great prices, check out these sites I have ordered from:

http://www.lizscloth.com/ (absorbant hemp fitteds etc)

http://www.doodlebottoms.com/store/ (gusset pocket!)

http://www.sugarbums.com/store/agora.cgi?p=Diapers (awesome hemp and sherpa fitteds and great covers too--very inexpensive!!)

http://www.7thheavenbabies.com/index.asp (fleece-lined fitteds)

http://store.dreamboatdiapers.wahmbi...ucts/index.asp (cute print fitteds and adorable AIOs with fleece or suedecloth inners--very affordable)

OK, well that's my 2 cents. Most people will tell you the best and cheapest way to go is with prefolds and covers--I am snappi impaired though, so we are going with fitteds!

HTH!
#3 of 10 Old 07-15-2003, 03:21 PM

We started out with a diaper service, and I loved it for those first couple of hectic months.

I never have tried them, but I've been reading great things about how well kissaluvs fit a newborn. My favorite place to buy dipes (and that sells kissaluvs) is Natural Babies . She sells them as a package as well.

For covers, I like the Bummi SWW or the Lite Wrap. The Lite Wrap was best at holding in poop, although it did get poop on itself through the CPF. Also, the plain old pull on PUL covers are nice and easy, and trim enough for a newborn. I think that
Greenmountain Diapers sold these covers, and they may sell the Kissaluvs too.

Good luck to you! Hope that was SOME help!
#4 of 10 Old 07-15-2003, 07:53 PM

i was really happy with the newborn layette at luke's drawers. the hugs worked well for us and the pkg includes BSWW, great cloth wipes, and a bummis tote. best of all the hugs last well past the nb period as fitted contours, then doublers. they are a little large on a small baby, so we had to fold down the front for the first few weeks,
#5 of 10 Old 07-15-2003, 08:01 PM

I loved my size 0 kissaluvs, with nb prorap covers. I never had any blowouts or leaks. They fit great, and are very easy for dh. My dh has a neuroligical disorder, that makes it difficult to use his hands. He had no problem with the snaps on these.
#6 of 10 Old 07-15-2003, 08:13 PM

We used prefolds with Bumkins covers when Bas was a newborn.
The poop was contained well most of the time. When it wasn't, those covers were SOOO easy to clean, and they dried really quickly! If you think prefolds would be too hard for your dh, you can go with fitted dipes, with a cover!
#7 of 10 Old 07-15-2003, 08:52 PM

I second Kissaluvs size 0.

I had my little guy at 36.5 weeks (17 days ago!!) and he weighed in at 6 lbs. I was expecting a 8.5 pounder so I only bought 6 Kissaluvs, now we have 18! I love these little dipes, they keep in the runny bm poopies and look darling on my guy. My husband will change Henry's dipes without a complaint .

Funny: we used up the Kissaluvs and started in on the prefolds and a snappi, my dh went to change Henry and I heard from bedroom "what the hell is this???" He didn't know what to make of the prefold/snappi combo, dh went to the dryer, pulled out a fitted and told me to buy more easy dipes like these (fitted/kissaluvs).

StaceyOh
#8 of 10 Old 07-15-2003, 09:06 PM

A Size 0 Kissaluvs user here too. I love them. We have never had a leaky poop yet and my DD has some big BF poops! We got ours at diaperware.com in a package deal that good and natualbabies.com has some great packages too with them. We mostly use prowraps over them and I have a couple wool covers (Stacinator and Aristocrats) and a couple Bummis.

HTH,
#9 of 10 Old 07-16-2003, 12:26 AM
C99

I started with 12 Kissaluvs, size 0 under Prorap NB (and later, Small) covers, 12 CPFs under Prorap covers, and 6 Bumkins AIOs. All of them provided a great learning experience. I plan to get another dozen Kissaluv size 0s and some additional Proraps for the next one.
#10 of 10 Old 07-16-2003, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Looks like Kissaluvs are a favorite here. Thanks so much for all your replies, it's helped alot. I think I'll start out with some Kissaluvs - dh agrees that these look like they are the easiest for him to use if I want any diapering help. I'll probably get some cpf's too. Thanks everyone!

Sherri

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page